I can see this being a 2006 type of season...

Well, the general consensus of the preseason magazines, as well as most contributors to this forum, predict an 8-4 or 9-3 regular season, with a ranking somewhere between 14th and 22nd overall, so, yes, your comparison is quite reasonable. Breaking even (2-2) vs. Florida, Alabama, Georgia, and Arkansas, as we did in the '06 season, would probably be a reasonable expectation as well.

So you're saying we will beat Alabama?

I'll take it!

If I were projecting a 2-2 record vs. those four SEC opponents, I would be most inclined to go with victories over Florida and Georgia. Yes, we play the Reptilian Horde in the Swamp, but the overall talent matchup is more favorable to us than it has been in years. On the other hand, Georgia has been playing with fire recently in their games with us and, sooner or later, will lose one of these close games.

Reactions: 1 person
In the past several years, the loses to UF have been primarily b/c of poor recruiting / poor game-field management. Fulmer used to win against UF on occasion, but would often get out-coached by Spurrier.

Finally, if CBJ can keep up the recruiting victories and learn/improve from his brief stint in the SEC, we may even the recorded going forward.

It also doesn't hurt that FSU is peaking, Miami is rising and UCF has 60,000 students on campus as was ranked in the top 5 in the last 4 years. Sooooo, UF won't have the "pickings" they did under Meyer.

I hate UF and will be glad when we start challenging them again year in and year out.

If I were projecting a 2-2 record vs. those four SEC opponents, I would be most inclined to go with victories over Florida and Georgia. Yes, we play the Reptilian Horde in the Swamp, but the overall talent matchup is more favorable to us than it has been in years. On the other hand, Georgia has been playing with fire recently in their games with us and, sooner or later, will lose one of these close games.

Well said Rex.....I'm very confident that we beat Georgia this year.

Agreed! I was just being silly...I like your assessment!

Excellent point. That would mean a very impressive win over Oklahoma, one of the traditional powers, which would put a heck of a lot of wind into our sails going forth to do battle with the Lizards.

Last edited:
Georgia is in Neyland this year and we nearly always play Georgia close so I could see us winning that game. I think we will beat Florida and Arkansas, but not so sure about Bama. We will probably play them close too. I don't see us getting blown out by anyone with the talent we have.

So you're saying we'll beat California in the first game of the season. Nope!

Hehe, it's impossible to answer your question without some definition to it. Do you mean:
  • ...we'll go 9-3 in the regular season, then lose a bowl game? Possibly, but I'd prefer we won the bowl game.
  • ...we'll lose to Florida and Arkansas (we don't play LSU), but beat Georgia and Alabama? Again, this is possible...but the opposite is more likely.
  • ...we'll go 5-3 in the East and come in second in the division to Florida? Maybe on the 5-3, though I'm thinking maybe we go 6-2 ... very unlikely Florida would be the team ahead of us.
It all depends on what you meant by your question, doesn't it?

But in the broadest sense, no. This year will be nothing like 2006.

Because in 2006 we were a perennial SEC and national contender coming off one bad year, and everyone figured we were going to bounce back just fine (we sort of did, but I remember more disappointment than excitement in that season...we were spoiled back then).

In 2015, we're emerging from the Dark Ages and have great appreciation for each step forward by our team.

Totally night and day different feels to the seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
06 was a fun season. Up until the Ainge injury, we were playing as well as anybody in the country. I truly believe that if Ainge never goes down, we finish the season 11-1 and end up with a BCS birth. The Ainge injury took the wind out of our sails. Crompton was gutsy in the LSU game and gave it all he had, but the inexperience showed.

Is 06 the year we lost to Auburn twice?

The last decade has kind all run together as I normally black out with rage after the first 5 minutes of the game.

Reactions: 1 person

Thanks.

I just googled 06 and remember it now.

Went into California and whooped em.

I think this is the year Foster fumbled near the endzone and they ran it all the way back and won the game.

Sheesh...feels like than 10 years ago.

06 was a fun season. Up until the Ainge injury, we were playing as well as anybody in the country. I truly believe that if Ainge never goes down, we finish the season 11-1 and end up with a BCS birth. The Ainge injury took the wind out of our sails. Crompton was gutsy in the LSU game and gave it all he had, but the inexperience showed.

I agree, we were National Title good that year. We should've beat Florida, we would've beaten LSU if Ainge had played more than a series.

Agreed. Trade the Bama win for a Florida win. I am not sure about Georgia this year but we do have them at home. Would love to get Mizzou on their home field tho. The last time we played them there- yikes!

Speaking of 2006, does anyone remember when Air Force flew jets over our campus for the whole week leading up to that game?

VN Store

Back