2nd-year surge: Jakob Johnson

kamoshika

Johnson’s overall development as a football player — especially a football player at this level — remains a work in progress, but there’s still an awful lot to like about him as a player.

The simplest way to sum this up is simple: Johnson has great size and stature, runs well for a kid with that size and stature and absolutely loves to hit.

Some players produce different sounds when they hit someone. Their combination of size, strength, speed and desire to hit hard creates a louder boom when they arrive on the scene. Johnson is one of those players. Whether it’s on special teams or on defense, he arrives to the party with bad intentions, to to speak, and that’s generally a good thing in this sport.

Second-Year Surge: Tennessee Vols football's Jakob Johnson

Reactions: 6 people
I saw him live and in color when my son was at UT a few weeks ago for a camp and he certainly looks the part.

When he gets it all down between the ears he has great potential. Not saying he's dumb by any means, just more experience.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh I thoght the group contention was that we wrote him off after the Mizzou game when he wasn't AJ for his first start...

Reactions: 8 people
Not being able to practice this spring really hurt this kid's development--and probably hurt the team as well given that nobody as claimed the MLB position. It's just our luck that a freshman who played very limited snaps would need shoulder surgery. Here's hoping he has a good fall as he does have the size and attitude one likes in a MLB.

Johnson’s overall development as a football player — especially a football player at this level — remains a work in progress, but there’s still an awful lot to like about him as a player.

The simplest way to sum this up is simple: Johnson has great size and stature, runs well for a kid with that size and stature and absolutely loves to hit.

Some players produce different sounds when they hit someone. Their combination of size, strength, speed and desire to hit hard creates a louder boom when they arrive on the scene. Johnson is one of those players. Whether it’s on special teams or on defense, he arrives to the party with bad intentions, to to speak, and that’s generally a good thing in this sport.

Second-Year Surge: Tennessee Vols football's Jakob Johnson
mmm bad choice of words right there :ermm:

Not being able to practice this spring really hurt this kid's development--and probably hurt the team as well given that nobody as claimed the MLB position. It's just our luck that a freshman who played very limited snaps would need shoulder surgery. Here's hoping he has a good fall as he does have the size and attitude one likes in a MLB.

It must be noted he beat out Kenny Bynum last year after AJ was suspended, Jakob Johnson did play like his mind had his feet tied during the game.

Then he got hurt at the end of the Mizzou game which the article noted slowing his game because of missing spring, this kid is the real deal with his knowledge as a solar and quick to learn. Look for him to contend for the MIKE along with KB and our new Frosh Darrin Kirkland, Jr.

This defense is going to be fun to watch...:yikes:

I think this kid will end up transferring after this year. Just don't think he has it.

It must be noted he beat out Kenny Bynum last year after AJ was suspended, Jakob Johnson did play like his mind had his feet tied during the game.

Then he got hurt at the end of the Mizzou game which the article noted slowing his game because of missing spring, this kid is the real deal with his knowledge as a solar and quick to learn. Look for him to contend for the MIKE along with KB and our new Frosh Darrin Kirkland, Jr.

This defense is going to be fun to watch...:yikes:

Questions:

1. What position does Jakob Johnson actually play - DE, OLB or ILB? The UT website lists him as a "DL," but Jones apparently insists he's still a linebacker.

2. For a player so unfamiliar with American football, doesn't moving him around to so many different positions stunt his growth?

3. Isn't middle linebacker the position where football knowledge is most important on a defense? Wouldn't his inexperience be a huge liability at that position?

4. Is Johnson big enough to play DE? The UT website lists him at 240 lbs, which is pretty lean for a DE his height (6'4"). By contrast, Curt Maggit is listed at 6'3" 246 lbs.

5. What specifically did Johnson do to his shoulder? Will he be fully healthy for training camp in August?

6. Don't we play a 4-2 nickel defense as our base defense, so only two linebackers play regularly (even on early running downs)?

7. Wouldn't Johnson be a liability in coverage at LB, given his size and lack of football knowledge?

8. If he's an inside LB, wouldn't he behind Gavin Bryant, Kenny Bynum and Darrin Kirkland Jr. at this point?

9. If he's an outside LB, wouldn't he behind JRM, Chris Weatherd, Dillon Bates, Cortez McDowell, Quarte Sapp and Austin Smith at this point?

10. If he's a DE, wouldn't he behind like Maggitt, Barnett, Vereen, Lewis, Phillips, Taylor, and Butcher at this point?

Because of all of the questions above, I expect Johnson to redshirt this year and come back next season with a permanent position and three years left of eligibility.

Reactions: 2 people
That's a really good list of questions, AboveAllNations. And redshirting him seems a very good option, both for him and for the team.

Having been stationed in Germany, I wonder about the degree to which football is "natural" to him. Does he have an American mom or dad who taught him the game, watched it on TV with him frequently? How much did he play in school growing up? We know the article said he was more heavily into soccer, but how much football did he play? 5 games? 20? 50? Over how many years?

There are Germans, and then there are German-Americans. I'm not sure Jakob isn't German-American, which might make him a LOT more comfortable and familiar with the sport than he would be coming into it as an almost completely new game when he got to Florida.

I just don't know his background, never saw anything written on it.

p.s. His parents are Ann-Charlotte and Calvin Johnson. My guess would be German mom, American (ex-soldier) dad. But that's just a guess. The AD's office should do a biographic on him, the only German on our team. Seems it would merit it. :eek:k:

Last edited:
The Vol's special teams will have some real Hitter's for 2015.....Jacob Johnson, Cortez MCdowell, Evan and Elliot Berry, Dillon Bates, Gavin Bryant, Malik Foreman, Todd Kelly and others

Last edited:
The Vol's special teams will have some real Hitter's for 2015.....Jacob Johnson, Cortez MCdowell, Evan and Elliot Berry, Dillon Bates, Gavin Bryant, Malik Foreman, Todd Kelly and others

Haha my first thought when I read this was WTF!? My contacts are failing me today and I read "Hitters" as Hitlers... it is a thread about a player from Germany and you did capitalize "Hitters" haha!

He was in position a lot last year to make a play but took a moment too long to react. Once he stops having to think so much and gets comfortable he has the potential to be as good as anyone on the roster.

I'm not sold on this kid yet. He was consistently lost on the field last year. I know he hasn't been playing the game of football long, so maybe he will eventually catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers out after this season if things don't go his way.

Due to his relative lack of experience with the game, I'm not really surprised that he is having an adjusting period. I hope he gets a chance to redshirt and just learn. He looked like he was doing a lot of thinking on the field.

VN Store

Back