USCjr Wins The Game

VFL10

Where would we be right now if Dobbs and co. did not orchestrate an improbable comeback on Nov. 1st against South Carolina? Would we feel any different about this years team? Would we view Butch any differently? Would we be riding the hype train like we are today?

How important was that game for everyone involved with the football program and us as a fan base?!

Where would we be right now if Dobbs and co. did not orchestrate an improbable comeback on Nov. 1st against South Carolina? Would we feel any different about this years team? Would we view Butch any differently? Would we be riding the hype train like we are today?

How important was that game for everyone involved with the football program and us as a fan base?!

Without a bowl win.

Yes!

Yes!

NO!

Collectively, it is always great when you beat the OBC, and hurt him as well...so much that he couldn't even take questions in the post-game presser! That's gold!

There is absolutely no quality wins if we didn't get that one! Dobbs and Co. played well and we got at least one INT to help!

Negavols would have more firepower and the debate over whether CBJ is the man would be ten times worse right now!

BUT....they didn't win and all is good! FOR NOW!

Last edited:

Maybe somebody could put up that game thread and review the bleeding from the usual posters. They got increasingly scarce after that comeback. Imagine if they had been on the right side after the game. :pinch:

Reactions: 10 people

Interesting thought. I do believe I would feel the same about this year's team, but the lack of a bowl win would probably quiet down some of the media hype.

Maybe somebody could put up that game thread and review the bleeding from the usual posters. They got increasingly scarce after that comeback. Imagine if they had been on the right side after the game. :pinch:

Idk...they're still around....just don't have much ground to stand on!

Interesting thought. I do believe I would feel the same about this year's team, but the lack of a bowl win would probably quiet down some of the media hype.

Just getting to the bowl game was huge for the team. If that did not happen, they would still be "learning how to win".

I would feel different. Without that win, TN does not make a bowl. Without the bowl win maybe we lose or do not get some of the recruits we got (I'm thinking Richmond). The bowl win was the culmination of a hard fought season and team 118 dominated Iowa in every phase of the game. So without that win maybe we do not have back to back top 10 recruiting classes or all the hype we have going for us.

I'm just glad we got Butch and not another Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

Seriously, we would feel like Kentucky - a bowl game was a given - all we have to do is win one of our remaining 6 games...

Can't imagine. :thud:

That win changed everything and may be the official "turning point" for the program when we look back in 5-10 years.

Without that W, there's no bowl game, the 2015 recruiting class likely suffers, there's no preseason hype, and Butch Jones is on a (mild) hot seat already. He would, in fact, have a worse record than Dooley through his first two seasons at Tennessee.

I also think it would affect the team's overall play in 2015. That win was important for the team's psyche. No chance we win in the Swamp without first beating an SEC team on the road not named Kentucky or Vandy.

If the ref decides to call the unsportsmanlike on Danny OBrien after the Barnett sack, we don't make a bowl game.

The unsportsmanlike should have been called on Barnett imo, or maybe roughing the passer. No reason to spin Thompson around like that, but Thompson did try to flop for O'Brien and the refs knew that.

I would be very discouraged going into this season, personally. That being said, we only beat SC by 3 points so it's easy to say "what if", but I talk myself off the ledge by reminding myself that we lost to Florida and Georgia by a combined 4 points. Also it's worth noting that SC beat Georgia and Florida.

You can't say "what if" negatively and not be willing to say "what if" positively. We were 3 points away for 5-7, and we were 4 points away from 9-4.

Reactions: 9 people
The brutal beat down of Iowa I think was the springboard for this team to turn it up a notch in the upcoming seasons.

Reactions: 1 person
Idk...they're still around....just don't have much ground to stand on!

They're holding their fire for Dobbs's first incompletion, first 3 and out and/or first interception of 2015 to come back out of the woodwork with pitchfork firmly in hand.

They're holding their fire for Dobbs's first incompletion, first 3 and out and/or first interception of 2015 to come back out of the woodwork with pitchfork firmly in hand.

After our first loss, it's a virtual guarantee that someone will start a thread suggesting that Butch start Dormady in the next game.

After our first loss, it's a virtual guarantee that someone will start a thread suggesting that Butch start Dormady in the next game.

Excellent 9000th post analysis. I'll take it a step further though. They will remind everyone that Dobbs never could hit the broadside of a barn and "anybody but Dobbs" is what's called for...Dormady, Jones, Jennings, Jancek....anybody.

Excellent 9000th post analysis. I'll take it a step further though. They will remind everyone that Dobbs never could hit the broadside of a barn and "anybody but Dobbs" is what's called for...Dormady, Jones, Jennings, Jancek....anybody.

Haha. Thread titles after the first loss:

"Well, guess 2016 was always the year..."

"Not sold on Butch's coaching"

"DeBord was a terrible hire"

"Dobbs isn't an SEC caliber QB"

"We are cursed"

"We are cursed"

Dibs on "Not sold on Butch's coaching"

"We are cursed"

Additionally...l

"Dobbs is too smart to play QB"

"DeBord sux"

"To woo or not to woo, that is the question"

"We are cursed"

I think the last one is the most likely.:yikes:

If the ref decides to call the unsportsmanlike on Danny OBrien after the Barnett sack, we don't make a bowl game.

A lot of things happened that game that made you say hmmm. Jalen Hurd's spin on 4th down to get a 1st down, his block that helped shield Dobbs from a sack right before he threw to Croom to tie it, the no call on Barnett, the even crazier no call on O'Brien. That game, to me, proved that the bad luck that Tennessee has had over the last few years is finally going away. Tennessee doesn't win that game any other year.

VN Store

Back