Did the Bowl Game Portend Hope for the OL?

1974Vol

4 * 2011 QB
Here's what Bleacher Report said before the bowl game. I read or saw a number of other commentators say similar thinks before the Taxslayer Bowl.

Iowa has multiple All-B1G selections on both the offensive line (Brandon Scherff, Austin Blythe) and the defensive line (Carl Davis, Drew Ott, Louis Trinca-Pasat).
The Hawkeyes can impose their will up front and truly control the contest. As mentioned above, running the football will stabilize things offensively. Getting pressure on sophomore quarterback Josh Dobbs also could completely disrupt Tennessee's offensive efforts.
The likes of Davis, Ott, and Trinca-Pasat have the ability to make life very uncomfortable for Tennessee's young signal-caller.

It looked like to me that the Vols OL pretty much dominated a Hawkeye DL with three all Big 10 selections until the outcome of the game was decided. Did the OL take that next big step to being really good during the bowl practice sessions or was the Iowa game a fluke?

We'll find out for sure when the Sooners come to town but its June and all we have are opinions.

Reactions: 13 people
I think you have a great point, '74. Some in VN tend to think little of the TaxSlayer win over Iowa because (1) Iowa is not a powerhouse (more like a Mizzou than anything else we face regularly), (2) bowl games are iffy things, you never know if the 18-24 year old youngsters on the team are going to show up distracted or focused, and (3) we dominated them so completely.

But I think you're right. Our OLine's performance in that game, while far from perfect, was a wide margin better than the games in the early part of the year, and against a very capable defensive line (as you point out). I think it is reasonable to conclude from the bowl game that our OLine made significant progress over the course of the 2014 campaign, and (having lost only one starter) is building off that success as they prepare for this fall.

Bottom line: there is reason to be confident, to expect a much-improved OLine. Those who say it'll never get better until the seniors (Crowder, Kerbyson, Jackson) are replaced might be very pleasantly surprised and proven wrong.

Reactions: 8 people
TN's offensive line would hold it's own in the Big 10. The true test will come when they face SEC defensive lines. They're improved; but how much?

Reactions: 1 person
Not that I like Jesse Palmer that much, but he said some interesting things prior to bowl season. He said that when he was a freshman (and his other freshman classmates) were playing in their first year, it felt like they were drinking out of a firehose and playing catch up the entire regular season.

He said things didn't really click for him or other freshman until bowl season when they had a month to catch up and digest everything they'd learned over the course of the season.

Given our youth, I think that's what we saw our OL go through during the regular season and then in bowl season. So yes, I think it portends VERY well for us this year.

Reactions: 10 people
Multiple coaches said the biggest difference between the SEC and the rest of college football is the speed and athleticism on the DLs. I tend to think the real test will come in SEC play.

Not that I like Jesse Palmer that much, but he said some interesting things prior to bowl season. He said that when he was a freshman (and his other freshman classmates) were playing in their first year, it felt like they were drinking out of a firehose and playing catch up the entire regular season.

He said things didn't really click for him or other freshman until bowl season when they had a month to catch up and digest everything they'd learned over the course of the season.

Given our youth, I think that's what we saw our OL go through during the regular season and then in bowl season. So yes, I think it portends VERY well for us this year.

THIS and I also think the time off helped heal a very thin 0-line.

There is hope for the OL.

Honestly, I think they will improve based on being older, having an additional year of college coaching, and spending a full off-season in the weight room.

Reactions: 4 people

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the effect that Josh Dobbs had on our offensive line, which was immediately noticeable to me. In the run game, Dobbs' mobility helped keep opposing front sevens (especially DEs) honest on the read option, whereas under Worley they were collapsing instantly on Hurd every time. In the passing game, Dobbs' superior pocket instincts (as demonstrated by that nifty move he made to avoid a sack in the Orange & White game this Spring) and pre-snap recognition skills cut down on the absurd number of sacks and blindside fumbles we were experiencing under Justin Worley.

Sometimes a good offensive line can make a mediocre quarterback look good. Last year, I think it happened the other way around.

Reactions: 8 people
Honestly, I think they will improve based on being older, having an additional year of college coaching, and spending a full off-season in the weight room.

Agreed. We return basically the exact same unit from last year, except we've replaced a former walk-on with a missing ACL (Gilliam) with a couple of bluechip freshman(Richmond and Jones).

I believe that come this summer we will find out where the OL sits for the up coming season, our starting DL crew has been out injured for the spring season.

With all of the injuries and incoming freshman they will be put on notice...so although I agree with you comments lets wait and see how they pan out in the summer session.

GoVols

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the effect that Josh Dobbs had on our offensive line, which was immediately noticeable to me. In the run game, Dobbs' mobility helped keep opposing front sevens (especially DEs) honest on the read option, whereas under Worley they were collapsing instantly on Hurd every time. In the passing game, Dobbs' superior pocket instincts (as demonstrated by that nifty move he made to avoid a sack in the Orange & White game this Spring) and pre-snap recognition skills cut down on the absurd number of sacks and blindside fumbles we were experiencing under Justin Worley.

Sometimes a good offensive line can make a mediocre quarterback look good. Last year, I think it happened the other way around.

Pocket presents, dude.
It's volnation get it right.

presence. I'll take instincts over presents unless the presents are really great.

Last edited:
UT had more yards rushing but a little less ypc than Wisconsin. Hurd, UT's one true RB last fall, avg'd 7.6 ypc. Melvin Gordon had 6.45 ypc.

UT allowed 1 sack to Iowa.

Looked improved to me.

Reactions: 2 people

You forgot one PC... playing at the position they are supposed to. These guys had to move all over the line last year just to fill a slot. Maybe they'll find that comfort zone in their real position of play.:thumbsup:

The Hawkeyes can impose their will up front and truly control the contest. As mentioned above, running the football will stabilize things offensively. Getting pressure on sophomore quarterback Josh Dobbs also could completely disrupt Tennessee's offensive efforts.
The likes of Davis, Ott, and Trinca-Pasat have the ability to make life very uncomfortable for Tennessee's young signal-caller.

^Their Wrongness was so Wrong!!! :neener::neener:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back