Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start.

1standgoal

Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start. That would leave Barnett, Vereen, Kyle Phillips, and LaTroy Lewis at DE. The MLB position is so important in the SEC, having Maggitt's talent there may be best overall for the defense.

Reactions: 1 person
Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start. That would leave Barnett, Vereen, Kyle Phillips, and LaTroy Lewis at DE. The MLB position is so important in the SEC, having Maggitt's talent there may be best overall for the defense.

Would be a bad move...he's too great an edge rusher.

Reactions: 25 people
Is this just your opinion, or an actual decision by the coaching staff? And no, I do not wish to check your stats.

Reactions: 3 people
Leonard Little was moved his senior year, I think 97, from defensive end to middle linebacker. He led the team in sacks and was an all-american, but I thought we lost something with him not playing end. Interesting thought,, I like where your head is, but I don't think it happens. There are just too many options at middle and really at linebacker in general.

Curt Maggitt is the best edge player in the conference. Or at least one of the best. No you keep him there.

If Kirkland isn't ready, then you would give Bates a shot, or Bynum OR play Reeves-Maybin there, and let McDowell/ Bates play the other OLB spot.

Kirkland, Bates, or Bynum will be starting MLB. Maggitt is great at what he does but he isn't quick enough laterally to play MLB. As long as he and JRM are on the field they will make sure the defense is in check.

Reactions: 2 people

No

You're forgetting about Bates too. Bates played well in the time he got last year and knows this defense. Also, I just read where one of the coaches said that Kirkland is very smart and has a photographic memory of the plays

With the Dline we're gonna have, my grandmother could play MLB for us.

:)

Exactly. Unfortunately we'll only have a 6'2" 235 lbs, High School All-American ,heat seeking missile to throw out there.

Oh and he trains like Herschel Walker.

I could see this for a standard 4-3 front. Then, in Nickel, he moves to DE and JRM/Bates/Whoever stay out as LB.

Reasoning:

Maggitt is one of the best natural athletes on our team. I think he didn't trust his knee and it took him, as it does many athletes, a long time to trust it. He wasn't ready for LB much last year as he couldn't cut. DE is much easier to play if you are in that position.

Maggitt at MLB gives us a big, athletic MLB that can move (assuming above is true) and also go hand in the dirt when needed. This also might have been prompted by the emergence of Lewis, Phillips or Weatherd at DE.

Bryant may also not be ready and we need the best combination of 11 players. Even if that means taking an A- at DE and making him a B+ at MLB... when our next best option is a C. This was obvious last year when AJ Johnson went out. Our defense was noticeably worse against the run.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Stupid thread...

Right now...The Defense is the LEAST of our worries...

Kirkland, Bates, or Bynum will be starting MLB. Maggitt is great at what he does but he isn't quick enough laterally to play MLB. As long as he and JRM are on the field they will make sure the defense is in check.

I wouldn't count out Bryant either. We have plenty of options at MLB without moving one of the best edge rushers in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people

Well said.

VN Store

Back