Is 2016 REALLY the year? (Players leaving thread)

skasper06

A lot of people, including myself, have said that 2016 is the real year we could do some damage in the SEC and the national stage. But we have a lot of starters/playmakers graduating and could also see some underclassmen leave as well. Consider this list of players graduating/potentially leaving early...

Seniors
Kyler Kerbyson
Marcus Jackson
Owen Williams
Mack Crowder
Curt Maggitt
Alex Ellis
Brian Randolph
LaDarrell McNeil
Johnathon Johnson
Chris Weatherd
Pig Howard
Von Pearson (if he's not gone already)

Juniors
Cam Sutton
Marquez North
Josh Dobbs
Jaylen Reeves-Maybin

RS Sophomore
Alvin Kamara

Now, I'm not saying we will definitely lose Dobbs, JRM, or Kamara. But it's definitely possible to lose at least one of them. And It's definitely possible to lose Sutton and North. For argument's sake, let's say we only lose two underclassmen - Sutton and one other. That's around 10 starters and at least 14 total significant players lost. We would literally be replenishing half of our starting roster. What do you guys think 2016 could really look like knowing this? What could the depth chart look like and how much could we respectably expect from them?

Reactions: 1 person
If all those players leave, then 2016 is not our year because it was 2015. I'll be ok with a down 2016, considering in your scenario we just won the SEC.

Sadly, Sutton should go early. He's that good. First round pick.

North would have to have a season that builds on his freshman season production. Last year's production wouldn't be enough. Plus, he needs to stay healthy.

I don't see the rest going early. With 2 strong recruiting classes, hopefully there will be a number of guys ready to compete for the vacant spots.

A lot of people, including myself, have said that 2016 is the real year we could do some damage in the SEC and the national stage. But we have a lot of starters/playmakers graduating and could also see some underclassmen leave as well. Consider this list of players graduating/potentially leaving early...

Seniors
Kyler Kerbyson
Marcus Jackson
Owen Williams
Mack Crowder
Curt Maggitt
Alex Ellis
Brian Randolph
LaDarrell McNeil
Johnathon Johnson
Chris Weatherd
Pig Howard
Von Pearson (if he's not gone already)

Juniors
Cam Sutton
Marquez North
Josh Dobbs
Jaylen Reeves-Maybin

RS Sophomore
Alvin Kamara

Now, I'm not saying we will definitely lose Dobbs, JRM, or Kamara. But it's definitely possible to lose at least one of them. And It's definitely possible to lose Sutton and North. For argument's sake, let's say we only lose two underclassmen - Sutton and one other. That's around 10 starters and at least 14 total significant players lost. We would literally be replenishing half of our starting roster. What do you guys think 2016 could really look like knowing this? What could the depth chart look like and how much could we respectably expect from them?

The SR's on the OL are average. The big loses would be Howard, Maggitt and Randoph of that class.

Sutton will be a huge lost

Recruiting looks like we shall have team after team of quality players. I believe it's ok to get past any Dooley feeling of "we are lucky to have this one class, we are hurting bad when they leave".

As a fan base, more would be expecting success in 2015 if not for the past decade and the resulting assumption of the worst. Our roster is in good shape to do some damage in 2015 assuming Dobbs doesn't get hurt.

Significant year over year roster changes are a constant in college football, got to compete with what you've got each year. We can compete his year but everybody is playing to win.

When those guys leave, next man up. We'll be fine....and yes, 2016 will be a stronger year than 2015.

Reactions: 3 people
A quick look at what the 2016 two-deep COULD look like...(assuming only Sutton leaves early)

OFFENSE
QB: Dobbs, Dormady/Jones
RB: Hurd/Kamara, Kelly (maybe BJ Emmons or another potential recruit)
TE: Wolf, Oliver/Creamer
WR1: Malone, Williams
WR2: North, Croom
WR3: Smith, George
LT: Richmond, Blair
LG: Sanders, Mosley
C: Thomas, Weisman
RG: Robertson, Hall
RT: Kendrick, Jones

DEFENSE
DT: McKenzie, O'Brien
DT: Tuttle, Vickers
DE: Barnett, Butcher
DE: Phillips, Vereen
OLB: Reeves-Maybin, Sapp
OLB: Bates, McDowell
MLB: Kirkland, Bryant
CB: Martin, Foreman
CB: Mosley, Abernathy
S: Kelly, Griffin
S: Berry, Gaulden
Nickel Gaulden, Osborne

Putting this roster together, I noticed some areas of need as well as areas we should be okay. I definitely see a need for more depth in the defensive backfield with Randolph, Sutton, and McNeil all leaving. I also saw a need at the HB and WR positions but I think we will have a good recruiting class for these positions. I think we are looking great at QB and linebacker though. Shouldn't have any issues there. Also OL is improving finally.

Reactions: 6 people

An elite program with depth should replace about half of their starters every season. This is what the Alabamas and Florida States of the world do; they field senior-heavy starting lineups every year and simply reload in the offseason.

We're going to be very good this year (we're probably SEC East favorites), but we should be even better in 2016 - even if we lose underclassmen like Sutton or North. A healthy Preston Williams is arguably an upgrade over North, and our monstrously stacked defensive line in 2016 should more than make up for any inexperience in the secondary.

Definitely losing contributors in Randolph, Maggit , Howard . But we are covered in those areas IMO. Kelly / Berry will take Randolph spot. PLENTY of depth at LB. Howard's explosiveness will be hard to replace..

I could see Sutton going early. Wouldn't surprise me. Kids got a future. Proud to have seen him grow at Tennessee !!

North should probably stay and Dobbs will stay I think for sure. As well as JRM. If Kamara leaves then he must have had a break out year and by all means get yours Alvin.

An elite program with depth should replace about half of their starters every season. This is what the Alabamas and Florida States of the world do; they field senior-heavy starting lineups every year and simply reload in the offseason.

Yep this. Anywhere from a third to half of the starters ... but (and this is key to 'reloading' rather than rebuilding) almost all of the new starters are rising from within the two-deep. So they already have significant game experience, and are ready to jump right in to the lead roles.

From this point on, every year is a potential championship year for the Vols.

A quick look at what the 2016 two-deep COULD look like...(assuming only Sutton leaves early)

OFFENSE

DEFENSE
Nickel Gaulden, Osborne

Putting this roster together, I noticed some areas of need as well as areas we should be okay. I definitely see a need for more depth in the defensive backfield with Randolph, Sutton, and McNeil all leaving. I also saw a need at the HB and WR positions but I think we will have a good recruiting class for these positions. I think we are looking great at QB and linebacker though. Shouldn't have any issues there. Also OL is improving finally.

This is pretty much exactly how I see it. I'm pleased with this scenario and think it would make us very competitive.

OFFENSE

DEFENSE
Nickel Gaulden, Osborne

That roster is Filthy...

As far as depth at DB .. If we hold onto Marquill this year he will give us some depth. Big time player. Also need Justin Martin to pan out for sure. Joc Bruce could turn out to be a heck of a corner. Then we have got Darrell Miller who was lock down in High School.

WR and HB - Concerns for sure. This years class will bring in some Jucos at both positions for early contributors IMO.

QB - I see one of these guys transferring. Not sure which one, but they are all so talented and may look for opportunities elsewhere. Especially with the fact Guarantano coming in next year.

OL still work in progress, but pieces are there.

This is pretty much exactly how I see it. I'm pleased with this scenario and think it would make us very competitive.

Plus, there will be some super stud freshmen coming in. Also, in addition to the 2 deep, we have talent such as Elliott Berry, Picou, Stewart, Jakob Johnson, Boulware, Oliver and Austin Smith who will develop into good players as they get experience and body development.

Teams always lose players and always have areas of need. That is why recruiting and development are so important. This incoming frosh class is essential to 2016 success.

I do think the 2-deep roster I posted with only Sutton leaving early looked pretty nasty.

And imagine if he didn't leave...smdh. Wouldn't even be fair to our opponents.

Just read in the VP update thread about him possibly redshirt in since he hasn't yet. If he isn't cleared until week 3 or 4, he'd be so far behind from missing fall camp as well he could just redshirt and come back in 2016... it might be a long shot, but that makes the 2016 roster flat out nasty.

Sadly, Sutton should go early. He's that good. First round pick.

North would have to have a season that builds on his freshman season production. Last year's production wouldn't be enough. Plus, he needs to stay healthy.

I don't see the rest going early. With 2 strong recruiting classes, hopefully there will be a number of guys ready to compete for the vacant spots.

I think Sutton will go, and be missed the most.

Just read in the VP update thread about him possibly redshirt in since he hasn't yet. If he isn't cleared until week 3 or 4, he'd be so far behind from missing fall camp as well he could just redshirt and come back in 2016... it might be a long shot, but that makes the 2016 roster flat out nasty.

Who are you talking about? Serious question. :hi:

VN Store

Back