Barnett vs. Nkemdiche

Personally I believe Nkemdiche has always been a little overrated. I'm aware he gets doubled team quite a bit, but still, stats don't lie.

Reactions: 1 person
Just gotta love the argument that lack of tangible production and impact plays over the course of two seasons really doesn't mean much when deciding who the best player is... solid opinion there Greg. Lol.

Reactions: 6 people
Personally I believe Nkemdiche has always been a little overrated. I'm aware he gets doubled team quite a bit, but still, stats don't lie.

Agreed. Jordan Williams, a converted linebacker and defensive end who had to put on 40lbs last year just to play the position had the same number of sacks and tfls (iirc) as Nkemdiche last year. I don't know how many double teams Jordan saw last year, but he has never been on anybody's radar as a top player, much less the consensus #1 player in the country.

Last edited:
because it's a ridiculous "book it" statement that's way too early to call.

I disagree with that. Unless he's injured, there's no reason to expect him to play worse than he played as a freshman.

So if he continues to rack up 10 sack seasons and 20 tackles for a loss, yes he will go down as one of the greatest DEs in SEC history.

Reactions: 5 people
because it's a ridiculous "book it" statement that's way too early to call.

true, but with Tuttle, Phillips, and KMac coming in, you can see how bright his future seems to be barring injury. He will not be seeing double teams with that line up.

Reactions: 4 people
I disagree with that. Unless he's injured, there's no reason to expect him to play worse than he played as a freshman.

So if he continues to rack up 10 sack seasons and 20 tackles for a loss, yes he will go down as one of the greatest DEs in SEC history.

I think he's great. I'm happy he's on the team. If he continues to rack up the stats, and if he continues to progress then he should be one of the greatest, no doubt. That's also a couple of big ifs.

I want him to go down as THE greatest to ever suit up in orange. I hope that for all of the players.

I think he's great. I'm happy he's on the team. If he continues to rack up the stats, and if he continues to progress then he should be one of the greatest, no doubt. That's also a couple of big ifs.

I want him to go down as THE greatest to ever suit up in orange. I hope that for all of the players.

That's what you're missing. He doesn't have to progress, at all. He just has to stay healthy.

true, but with Tuttle, Phillips, and KMac coming in, you can see how bright his future seems to be barring injury. He will not be seeing double teams with that line up.

Agree, and with Maggit coming in on the other side. Things could get real ugly for opposing QB's.

That's what you're missing. He doesn't have to progress, at all. He just has to stay healthy.

I think he's great. I think he will continue to be great. I'm glad that he's a Vol.

In my opinion, it's too early to say "Derek Barnett go down as one of the best in SEC history."

Yep.

VN Store

Back