Barnett, Maggitt Named Top 10 DL tandem

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Curt Maggitt and Derek Barnett were named the No. 6 defensive linemen tandem in the nation by an NFL insider!

6. Tennessee: Derek Barnett and Curt Maggitt
The skinny: All Barnett did as a true freshman for the Vols was rack up 10 sacks and set numerous Tennessee and SEC records as a relentless pass rusher. One of the biggest bright spots on a young team, he'll figure to see more double-teams in 2015 but seems qualified to handle them given his skill set and size. He teams up with Maggitt, who led the team in sacks last season. Barnett will show off his versatility by also playing linebacker in addition to defensive end depending on the situation.

Dynamic duos: Ranking CFB's top 10 defensive linemen tandems - NFL.com

Reactions: 9 people
I hope they do send a lot of double teams his way. It won't stop him from getting to the QB anyway, but it will more easily introduce opposing QB's to some of our other D linemen (Curt @ LB, Kahlil, Shy, Kyle, Dimarya, etc.)

I just realized.............Opposing QB's are about to find themselves in a LOT of trouble!

Can't wait for the season to begin! Go Vols!

i hope they do send a lot of double teams his way. It won't stop him from getting to the qb anyway, but it will more easily introduce opposing qb's to some of our other d linemen (curt @ lb, kahlil, shy, kyle, dimarya, etc.)

i just realized.............opposing qb's are about to find themselves in a lot of trouble!

Can't wait for the season to begin! Go vols!

amen!

I hope they do send a lot of double teams his way. It won't stop him from getting to the QB anyway, but it will more easily introduce opposing QB's to some of our other D linemen (Curt @ LB, Kahlil, Shy, Kyle, Dimarya, etc.)

I just realized.............Opposing QB's are about to find themselves in a LOT of trouble!

I don't think we realize the potential of how good our defense can be this year. Crap on waiting for 2016. They'll do dome damage in 2015!

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think we realize the potential of how good our defense can be this year. Crap on waiting for 2016. They'll do dome damage in 2015!

As long as we find a good fit at mlb I can't really point out a weakness on the whole defense. It could get serious and soon

This particular line
Barnett will show off his versatility by also playing linebacker in addition to defensive end depending on the situation.
tells me that Mr. Bryan Fischer, the writer, doesn't know Barnett and Maggitt at all, he's just regurgitating information some scout gave him, or that he got by interviewing one of our coaches. The scout or coach was talking about Maggitt splitting time between DE and LB, but the writer, not really knowing the players, wrote it down wrong and then spewed it out in his article.

So...not impressed. I mean, I think he's right that our duo are Top10 (Top 6) in the nation good. Just not that he knows what he's talking about.

I agree the writer wrote Barnett as also playing LB wrong unless he knows something we don't.

Barnett as a MLB on some plays to get more D line talent on the field at the same time is interesting.

Can you imagine Barnett getting up a head of steam running from the MLB position and blasting between 2 of our DT's to smash the QB in a special blitz package?

He would smash right through a RB trying to block him and then the QB is just dead meat.

We could switch D linemen around for the same type blitz packages with Shy or KMac pounding through from the MLB position.

How the hell would a RB stop any of those huge beasts?

The QB probably wouldn't even get the time to throw the ball away we'd be on him so fast.

Interesting ideas if nothing else.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I agree the writer wrote Barnett as also playing LB wrong unless he knows something we don't.

Barnett as a MLB on some plays to get more D line talent on the field at the same time is interesting.

Can you imagine Barnett getting up a head of steam running from the MLB position and blasting between 2 of our DT's to smash the QB in a special blitz package?

He would smash right through a RB trying to block him and then the QB is just dead meat.

We could switch D linemen around for the same type blitz packages with Shy or KMac pounding through from the MLB position.

How the hell would a RB stop any of those huge beasts?

The QB probably wouldn't even get the time to throw the ball away we'd be on him so fast.

Interesting ideas if nothing else.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Last time I checked, conspiring to murder someone is still illegal :crazy:

This particular line

tells me that Mr. Bryan Fischer, the writer, doesn't know Barnett and Maggitt at all, he's just regurgitating information some scout gave him, or that he got by interviewing one of our coaches. The scout or coach was talking about Maggitt splitting time between DE and LB, but the writer, not really knowing the players, wrote it down wrong and then spewed it out in his article.

So...not impressed. I mean, I think he's right that our duo are Top10 (Top 6) in the nation good. Just not that he knows what he's talking about.

This

I remember USCe 2012 Defense when everybody loaded up on Clowney and #6 Melvin Ingram had all star stats TFL's and QB sacks.

6. Tennessee: Derek Barnett and Curt Maggitt
The skinny: All Barnett did as a true freshman for the Vols was rack up 10 sacks and set numerous Tennessee and SEC records as a relentless pass rusher. One of the biggest bright spots on a young team, he'll figure to see more double-teams in 2015 but seems qualified to handle them given his skill set and size. He teams up with Maggitt, who led the team in sacks last season. Barnett will show off his versatility by also playing linebacker in addition to defensive end depending on the situation.

I double-dog dare defenses to try double team DB.

Wide Receiver U, linebacker U. . .

Just THE UNIVERSITY for Elite Recruits at all positions.

We are TENNESSEE.

So, which is the best overall best unit this year, the offense or the defense?

P.S. Any thoughts on the quality of the kick off and punting players?

I guess we will see but my first thought is that we probably still won't be great on the O-Line. I can't find a spot like that on the defense so much. Maybe at middle linebacker but I think we will be much better off there than we end up with the O-Line

Defense.

There may be some growing pains with the young MLB, but the defense as a hole will be disruptive and make big time plays! The offense will shine and have its moments, but I think the defense will win some games they aren't expected to win.

I think special teams will be pretty solid in all facets.

VN Store

Back