Confidence vs Florida

newyorkvol

Here's another offseason thought...

I propose that the longer one has been a Vols fan, the more likely one is to be in the camp of "I won't pick the Vols again until I see them win" crowd.
Younger fans seem to exhibit more exuberant confidence.

My over/under is at 10 years. Yours?

Ok, let me rephrase.

I feel people who have followed the Vols since earlier than 2005 are more likely to be in the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd.

Reactions: 13 people

I propose that the longer one has been a Vols fan, the more likely one is to be in the camp of "I won't pick the Vols again until I see them win" crowd.

No, NewYork, that's not right. I've followed the Vols since I was in junior high in the early 1970s, and I know for a fact we gone whup dey azz this year.

It is not a generational thing. Not an intelligence or insight thing, there are really smart guys in the defeatist camp. I'm not sure what it is. Just a personality thing, I guess.

Reactions: 11 people
The Gator's have been the Vol's achilles for almost 40 years, will it end this year? I sure hope so!
Go Vol's

Reactions: 1 person
Since we have played them yearly (1990), the Vols are 6-19 against Florida never winning more than 2 in a row.

Reactions: 3 people
So, as a fan, you've never seen the Vols beat Florida but your more confident for a win?

I'm 43 years old, and I get excited for every game and feel we're going to win. If the good Lord lets me live another 43 years, I'll still feel the same way.

Reactions: 23 people
Been a vol fan since birth 1986. I cant help it, but when I watch UT vs Florida the whole game I'm just waiting for that one thing to start a snow ball effect. But I do think Florida has hired their version of Derek Dooley, that guy will make Derek Mason look like he knows what he's doing.

Most of the younger generation and college students are naive and clueless. That's why we don't give them any responsibility outside of going to class and showing up for home games.

Reactions: 2 people
Been a vol fan since birth 1986. I cant help it, but when I watch UT vs Florida the whole game I'm just waiting for that one thing to start a snow ball effect. But I do think Florida has hired their version of Derek Dooley, that guy will make Derek Mason look like he knows what he's doing.

McElwain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dooley

Muschamp was thier Dooley and we couldn't even win.

Reactions: 13 people
I have a lot of confidence in this team overall. I don't have any confidence that any of it will translate to a win over Florida.

Reactions: 4 people
I've even seen us drain the Swamp in person. Plan on seeing it again this fall.

I was there in '01 & '03 as well. I'm curious, though, why do so many Vol fans emphasize "draining the Swamp?" Was it UT finally winning at UF or what was at stake?

I don't recall hearing other fanbases refer to beating UF at UF in that regard. Teams like LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, & Ga. Southern have all won games at the Swamp.

McElwain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dooley

We will just have to agree to disagree here yank.

I have followed the Vols since 1994?

When I saw Jay Graham break to the outside against Bama and take it to the house for 70 yards, that was the moment I fell in love with Tennessee football.

I always loved the "speed" that I saw from Tennessee......... until they played Florida. I wondered, "why did UT get slower all of a sudden"? Then I would see later in the year the Gators play FSU and just gawk at the speed on both sides.

Despite the agony of what UT has gone through, predominantly against the Gators in losing 10 in a row (Ouch). Truth is... they have always been the faster and more talented team more times than not.
We should have won last year, but even then they were still the more talented team imo.

And looking at our rosters this year... Florida still has a speed advantage, overall. If Jim can bring life to that offense, Florida will be dangerous! They still have good talent on defense and the skill positions.

Even their lackluster recruiting class got some key BIG TIME guys and very good under the radar talent.

They're breaking in a new OL, and we have some hounds on defense. Florida is tough.... It'll take a huge effort to beat them.

I was there in '01 & '03 as well. I'm curious, though, why do so many Vol fans emphasize "draining the Swamp?" Was it UT finally winning at UF or what was at stake?

I don't recall hearing other fanbases refer to beating UF at UF in that regard. Teams like LSU, Ole Miss, Vandy, & Ga. Southern have all won games at the Swamp.

In 2001, it was #5 Tennessee @ #2 Florida, and they were favored by 17.5 going in to the game with a trip to the SEC Title Game on the line.

No one was expecting us to win or even giving much of a shot.

Sadly, we couldn't take that win and do much of anything with it against LSU in the SEC Title, but oh well. Miami would have destroyed us that year(and anyone else in the country, like they did to Nebraska) in the national title game anyway.

I think you've got it completely backwards. The people who have been cheering for the Vols the longest are more likely to believe because they've experienced it. They've watched UT play and beat the best and know it can be done. Those who have only been around for 10 years or fewer have only watched the videos and read the stories

I've been a fan for over 30yrs and always believe UT has a shot. It's been almost 20yrs but I'm likely going back to the swamp this season to watch.

Reactions: 2 people
Younger Vol fans have to understand that before Spurrier got there in 1990 Florida was zero zilch nada nothing and irrelevant in football. And they always had been. they never won an SEC championship till 91 and now their fans think they invented football. We need to put them back in their place ! We will rule them again starting this year

In 2001, it was #5 Tennessee @ #2 Florida, and they were favored by 17.5 going in to the game with a trip to the SEC Title Game on the line.

No one was expecting us to win or even giving much of a shot.

Sadly, we couldn't take that win and do much of anything with it against LSU in the SEC Title, but oh well. Miami would have destroyed us that year(and anyone else in the country, like they did to Nebraska) in the national title game anyway.

I get all of that as I was in Atlanta the following week against LSU...but UT fans are referring to draining the Swamp in 2015.

Disagree. Chump was a three year kiffin. Legoman is tbd but is a strong candidate for a Dooley hire

With a 10 game win streak the Gaturds have finally pulled ahead in total wins 25-19. Tennessee has also had a 10 game win streak over them. Time to start it again this year.

VN Store

Back