Which Vol broke your heart first?

Wylo

Nega what?
Maybe it was an injury. Maybe they left school early. Off the field trouble. Or just plain bust. Heck, maybe it was that they didn't want to come to Tennessee.

My first real experience like that was Heath Shuler.

It still stings thinking of that press conference and him saying he was leaving.

I was 17 and never even imagined anyone wanted to leave UT early. I know he wasn't the first player to leave early, but I guess he was the first that bothered me.

Reactions: 1 person
Her name was Amy. It was December of 1990 and my third Freshman year at UT. In retrospect I think that might have been part of the problem. Anyway, it took me quite a long time to recover but I vowed to never let it happen again. Straightened up, Dean's list from that point on and upgraded girlfriends. Turned out for the best.

Reactions: 9 people
The entire offense of the 2005 team during the S.Car game. I was in attendance and I actually cried.

Reactions: 2 people
Justin Hunter. 2011 was starting out as such an amazing year. We beat one of the top 10 coaches in the country during our second game then headed to Gainsville. Their DBs had no answer, but their field ate his ACL on a simple jump and catch

Reactions: 11 people
Justin Hunter. 2011 was starting out as such an amazing year. We beat one of the top 10 coaches in the country during our second game then headed to Gainsville. Their DBs had no answer, but their field ate his ACL on a simple jump and catch

This and Janzen

Reactions: 1 person
Michelle Marciniak. But I digress.

Tony Robinson in 1985. Putting together a fantastic season until the Bama game injury, and what happened off the field after that. Remember him coming out on a cart at Senior Day against Vanderbilt to one of the biggest roars I've ever heard in Neyland.

Donte Stallworth. Wanted him to return for his senior year but knew he'd be a 1st round pick. A playmaker for the ages.

Jonathan Crompton 2009. UCLA game. It was the first game I ever attended. He threw 3 INTs

(not really the first, but the "first")

Last edited:
Alan Cockrell in 1981. Tennessee had great receivers but not so good QB play. Cockrell was put in as a freshman... appeared that there was now an arm to go with those receivers (Willie Gault and Anthony Hancock to name two). Blew out his knee and was done for the season in his 2nd start.

One of the saddest moments I remember was Jerry Colquitt. He waited his turn behind Heath Shuler and when he finally got his chance to start he was injured on the first series of the first game. Thankfully we had a freshman named Manning. Still I hated that for him. Great team guy.

Reactions: 7 people
There is probably someone I'm forgetting. but at the moment the one that stands out is LaMarcus Coker.

....all the talent in the world.

Reactions: 2 people
One of the saddest moments I remember was Jerry Colquitt. He waited his turn behind Heath Shuler and when he finally got his chance to start he was injured on the first series of the first game. Thankfully we had a freshman named Manning. Still I hated that for him. Great team guy.

My first thought as well. If Colquitt going down didn't make you upset them you have no heart

Tony Robinson did the same since he was having such an amazing season

VN Store

Back