Sutton named #5 DB.

HoptownVol

According to Bill Bender of Sporting news. In pretty solid company I'd say!

Sutton, a junior cornerback, was slotted fifth on the list, behind Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III, Virginia Tech cornerback
Kendall Fuller, Florida state cornerback and safety (and Nashville native) Jalen Ramsey and USC cornerback Adoree’ Jackson.

Tennessee Vols' Cameron Sutton named nation's No. 5 DB

Reactions: 6 people
Hold up...Adoree was a true freshman last season. And he had a good year, don't get me wrong...but already a top 5 CB? I don't think so. Maybe after this year. Kid is a beast and I still wish we had landed him. But come on...

Reactions: 1 person
The article also names Dobbs and Hurd in the top 25 for their respective positions. Dobbs at 23 and Hurd at 19.

Because some clown wrote it in an article? And if they said we had the worst OL in the SEC, then that would be true too?

I think Cam is great and he is vital to us having a successful season. Does anybody have any reservations with him returning punts? I know he took one to the house against Vandy and I know Butch Jones has forgotten more football than I'll ever know, but I just don't want our potential All-American lockdown corner getting beat up as a punt returner. If the defense is as good as I think it will be, I expect him to get a lot of reps returning punts.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Cam is great and he is vital to us having a successful season. Does anybody have any reservations with him returning punts? I know he took one to the house against Vandy and I know Butch Jones has forgotten more football than I'll ever know, but I just don't want our potential All-American lockdown corner getting beat up as a punt returner. If the defense is as good as I think it will be, I expect him to get a lot of reps returning punts.

Yes. His production can likely be replaced at PR...it definitely can't at CB.

Reactions: 2 people

Isn't this what RDA IV was brought in for?

Imagine if Primetime (Deion Sanders) never returned punts. Being able to return punts kept him acclimated toward offensive football which helped make him a great CB.

Same thing goes for Sutton. He's a play-maker and sure handed. You want guys you trust 1st and foremost fielding punts, then you want guys who are a threat. Cam is both of those.

Defense is only one aspect of football. We need to be strong in special teams as well. Cam helps deliver on both fronts.

I've had that same thought coming into this season. Top 5 CB, we are young behind him in that position. Do we really want him returning punts? He seems to do well, but there's that chance..

All five of these cornerbacks are going to be notable contributors not just on Saturday afternoons at college stadiums, but also on Sundays. At this juncture, it's really difficult to point to one over the other. I see Cam with some advantages over three of those guys due to not as solid opposite corners and safeties on the other guys' teams. Florida will be leaning on Hargreaves for a huge number of reps due to a short DB bench down there. Third and outs will drain the gators and turn some of that intuitive aggression into reactionary guessing games. On a better situated defensive group, VHIII would've been the likeliest #1. He's that good but a lot of cards are stacked against him. Considering these impending offensive woes, a long season could take its toll on VHIII. Adoree's a shoe-in as at least one of the top three (still wish we would've got him...imagine him with Cam locking down both corners). He's got all the tools and is rabbit quick and a bona fide 4.3 40 rocket and, like Cam, he's going to see punt return duty and, additionally, he'll be in on some offensive sets, most likely in the slot or for end arounds. Fuller at VT will have a similar dilemma as does VHIII due to the over-reliance on him, getting gassed late into games. A beefier backside and opposite corner could allow him to be as good a lock-down CB as any of the others listed. He's still going to be as effective a ball hawk as any CB, so don't count him out. Ramsey at FSU should have a stellar year and shouldn't be taken lightly, either. 'Guy's a baller. Cam's in great company with these other four, but with fellow DBs Foreman, Gaulden, McDaniel, Miller and Martin all able to just plug and play, Cam's going to stay fresh to lay pedal to metal on every crucial down...plus his not being gassed will allow his steady hands and jitterbug moves and acceleration to let loose. I'm confident he'll end up top three and wind up anywhere from mid-first round to early second round come draft time. Honestly being as objective as I can while considering the overall back end setups for all five teams, By season's end I can see:
1. Sutton
2. Jackson
3. Hargreaves III
4. Ramsey
5. Fuller

UT's whole DB bunch have got to be salivating over all those lame ducks tossed by panicked qbs...running for their lives with Barnett and Maggitt and Weathered and Vereen and Phillips and Butcher and Reeves-Maybin and Kahlil and Shy and O'Brien and Kendrick, Jr. and..........all who are keeping their DL unit fresh and on attack mode. As I've stated previously, UT's depth is deceptively solid. The overall team morale is sky high and this staff has everybody on the same page. We can expect an inordinate number of Interceptions and pic sixes and more special teams scoring than the last few years have produced. When the ball changes hands via punts, these five athletes are going to contribute to some game-changing run-backs for their teams. Nonetheless, this is YOUR year, Mister Sutton. Sic 'em!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Anybody on Virginia Tech's defense is overrated because people keep obsessing over Bud Foster. Tech hasn't lived up to any decent reputation for years now.

Geezus, this is why I hardly read this board anymore. Kam Chancellor and Brandon Flowers are both
from Va Tech, they had a 1 and a 6 last year, and a 3 in 2012. How many DBs have we had drafted since
Eric Berry? Zero!

In fact, you have to go all the way back to Gibril Wilson in 2004 to make it an even 3. Do you even remember
Gibril Wilson? You guys crack me up, and not in a good way. But hell yeah, Virginia Tech sucks! LOL

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back