Where Are They Now: 2015 Transfer Edition

skasper06

Firstly, this isn't meant to bash any of the players that left. It's over and done now and our team is looking pretty good right now. I've got no hard feelings and no one else should either...but for some perspective on how/why some players left I looked up a few former Vols.

QB Nate Peterman: Transferred to Pitt after the season. Not sure why but he is not listed on Pitt's roster. In an interview, Peterman opened up about his transfer. Here's a snippet of it.

What ultimately led you to transfer? What was the event that told you ‘it’s time to go?’

Probably the Alabama game this season. I was a little frustrated with how things played out. I still tried to give full intensity, full preparation to the other games remaining in the season, but after everything that happened in that game I just thought it was laid out to me that I needed to go elsewhere and pursue other opportunities.

Link to full interview Nathan Peterman Discusses Transfer from Vols

DL Dewayne Hendrix Transferred to Pitt as well, but like Peterman, Hendrix is not on the listed roster online. Maybe it just hasn't been updated. Most have probably seen this quote before, but here's what Dewayne said regarding his transfer:

"I just wasn't happy," he said. "I was happy with my playing time, I just didn't like it here. Just my relationship with the coaches and how they talk to people. It just kept getting worse as the season went on."

DB D'Andre Payne: Transferred to Maryland, then to JUCO

About his transfer to UMD, Payne didn't say much. But here is a short snippet.

“It’s a new chapter. Everything happens for a reason. Nothing against Tennessee. It is what it is,” said Payne

As for his decision to go JUCO, he hasn't said anything to the media yet. But here is part of a report regarding Payne leaving UMD before he ever even played...

An athletic department spokesman also said Friday that defensive back D’Andre Payne plans to transfer, just four months after he had transferred to Maryland from Tennessee. A former Washington Post All-Met out of H.D. Woodson High, Payne had flashed potential at cornerback during spring practice. He will likely transfer to a junior college, an athletic department official said.

RB Derrell Scott: Transferred to Eastern Carolina. Although he didn't say much about his decision to transfer, Coach Jones had this to say when he broke the news:

“We're here to help these players, if they feel they have a better opportunity to play somewhere else or go somewhere else, we're going to help them.”

Scott is listed on ECU's official roster but will be sitting out this year (redshirting) due to NCAA transfer rules.

TE Daniel Helm: Transferred to Duke. Personally, I was bummed when he left. I really liked him a lot and he is just a good kid. It is widely speculated that he left because of the way coaches talked to players and used profanity.

Duke has Helm listed on their official roster and like the others (except Peterman), he will have to sit out a year. Helm didn't say much about his decision to leave, and Coach Jones basically said the same thing as with Scott.

DL Joe Henderson: Dismissed for NCAA Academic reasons, ultimately transferred to Hutchinson CC, the same JUCO that Kamara and Cordarrelle Patterson played. He hasn't said much about his dismissal, likely due to NCAA regs regarding dismissals, but he does have offers from Kentucky and Minnesota right now. But who knows? Maybe him going to the Hutchinson is foreshadowing his return to Rocky Top one day?

RB Treyvon Paulk: I was just curious if Paulk had transferred to JUCO or something, but it appears he isn't playing anywhere else and might even still have hopes of returning to Tennessee in 2016.

DL Michael Sawyers: Has not transferred after being dismissed and is being charged with felony theft. It appears, for those who don't know, that Sawyers might have been the culprit of the crime that Coleman Thomas was arrested for earlier this spring. He is almost certainly done at Tennessee and unless his name is cleared of all charges, he will not be playing any more football.

Did I miss anyone?

Reactions: 20 people
Thanks for the update... I can t recall, can someone remind me where Vic Wharton transferred?

I wish all those players nothing but the best. I am not walking in their shoes and I will never hold a grudge against a kid deciding to transfer.

Reactions: 3 people
So Peterman feels like if he had been allowed to throw 32 passes like Dobbs, MOST of those would have been caught by Vol targets?

Reactions: 8 people
Drae Bowles - UTC

"The transition has been good," Bowles said last week. "Everybody has been welcoming me with nothing but warm arms, and I'm glad to be here. This spring has been good to get used to the workouts, learn a new offense and get in the swing of things here.

"I feel like transferring here was the best thing I could have done. It was a good opportunity for me to come in, play a lot and help the team as much as possible."

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I forgot Vic Wharton! Transferred to Cal... he is another guy I was bummed about. He led the recruiting class and could have been Pig Howard 2.0.

Last edited:
So Peterman feels like if he had been allowed to throw 32 passes like Dobbs, MOST of those would have been caught by Vol targets?

If Peterman had been allowed 32 attempts in the Alabama game, he would've been sacked 30 and thrown 2 picks. I'm sure he's a nice kid, but I can't see playing time at Pitt for him. His mom and dad should've stepped in and gave him some advice. Geez!!!

Unpopular opinion alert: I think Peterman was frustrated bc the coaching staff had been making it clear that they don't want their QB to run unless it is a designed QB run. Worley and Peterman followed this rule, but Dobbs didn't. So pretty much Dobbs was rewarded for doing something his coaches told him not to do.

You can still tell Butch doesn't like the idea of Dobbs running the ball. I assume his mindset is "sure you ran for the 1st down, which helps us now, but if you took a needless hit we may lose you for the season.

Reactions: 2 people

I don't think Peterman was going to make it at UT but he was not really given an opportunity against Bama. He sucked plenty of times before but I do think he deserved at least a quarter to get things rolling. I love Dobbs at Quarterback.but he didn't beat bama either that day.

I don't think Peterman was going to make it at UT but he was not really given an opportunity against Bama. He sucked plenty of times before but I do think he deserved at least a quarter to get things rolling. I love Dobbs at Quarterback.but he didn't beat bama either that day.

Dobbs actually turned into a game and came back down 28-0

Reactions: 15 people
Good luck to all these former players. We appreciate the hard work you put in and hope that you each find exactly what you were looking for.

Unpopular opinion alert: I think Peterman was frustrated bc the coaching staff had been making it clear that they don't want their QB to run unless it is a designed QB run. Worley and Peterman followed this rule, but Dobbs didn't. So pretty much Dobbs was rewarded for doing something his coaches told him not to do.

You can still tell Butch doesn't like the idea of Dobbs running the ball. I assume his mindset is "sure you ran for the 1st down, which helps us now, but if you took a needless hit we may lose you for the season.

Just a question; what is this analysis based on?

Reactions: 7 people

If CBJ didn't want his qb to run then he wouldn't have the read option in his system.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back