Off topic but worth knowing...

CarbonVol

I know this is off topic and I was going to post on the tailgate thread but that thread seems dead and I didn't think anyone would see it. So for those of us that don't have parking passes there are many places on the strip etc. that provide parking. Last year we parked our enclosed tailgating trailer at Reigons on the strip. This year we called to prepay for our spots and make sure they will be reserved for the season. We were blown of our feet when we were told by Central Parking of Knoxville ( who manages all the lots on the strip) that it's 80 bucks a spot this year. Cheapest parking they will offer is 60. The same spots were $20 and $30 last year. They say parking this year will be extremely limited because of construction. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. Believe it or not Reigons has almost 30 spots all of them are now sold out for the entire season. Happy Tailgating!

Reactions: 1 person
yes, I read today that they are doing approx $1.billion in renovations up on the hill starting this year.

From what I've read, Cumberland Avenue is getting a significant facelift to include new sidewalks and landscaping and it will be done in two phases that will permanently change the nature of the street.

For folks who park along the strip who use Cumberland Avenue in getting into or out of town for football games, I would think about an alternative. Traffic will be curtailed and access modified for through traffic. I live in Nashville so this is the impression I have. It almost sounds like parking in the Fort Sanders area will be almost a one way in-one way out situation off of Seventeenth.

Perhaps someone from Knoxville who knows more about the project can be more enlightening.

I park in the little parking area right where I-40 meets Cumberland Ave. Hopefully it's not $60.. That's more expensive than the tickets lol.

From what I've read, Cumberland Avenue is getting a significant facelift to include new sidewalks and landscaping and it will be done in two phases that will permanently change the nature of the street.

For folks who park along the strip who use Cumberland Avenue in getting into or out of town for football games, I would think about an alternative. Traffic will be curtailed and access modified for through traffic. I live in Nashville so this is the impression I have. It almost sounds like parking in the Fort Sanders area will be almost a one way in-one way out situation off of Seventeenth.

Perhaps someone from Knoxville who knows more about the project can be more enlightening.

The west end of Cumberland Ave is a complete cluster right now. Up towards 17th is fine currently as it will be reconstructed in a later phase.

I know this is off topic and I was going to post on the tailgate thread but that thread seems dead and I didn't think anyone would see it. So for those of us that don't have parking passes there are many places on the strip etc. that provide parking. Last year we parked our enclosed tailgating trailer at Reigons on the strip. This year we called to prepay for our spots and make sure they will be reserved for the season. We were blown of our feet when we were told by Central Parking of Knoxville ( who manages all the lots on the strip) that it's 80 bucks a spot this year. Cheapest parking they will offer is 60. The same spots were $20 and $30 last year. They say parking this year will be extremely limited because of construction. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. Believe it or not Reigons has almost 30 spots all of them are now sold out for the entire season. Happy Tailgating!

I would post the info there anyway. It will bump the thread back to life.

It has been in the works for awhile now and they are just getting started with Phase I of renovating the entire Strip essentially. Phase 1 deals a lot with the pipes under the road, which is why it is such a mess right now. The end goal is to have the Strip be one lane on each side of a median with turn lanes in the middle where needed. This is supposed to beautify the area and make it more pedestrian friendly, which will help students tremendously. If you are interested in the plans they are online at:

http://www.cityofknoxville.org/cumberland/constructionplans.pdf

Reactions: 1 person

I think they should just cancel this season.:)

VN Store

Back