247Sports SEC Championship Odds

skasper06

JC Shurburtt of 247Sports wrote his own personal SEC Championship odds and had both Tennessee and Arkansas at 10 to 1 odds.

The Vols and Razorbacks are the trendy picks for the “breakout teams” this season in the league and for good reason. Both finished 2014 with big bowl wins. Both have talented rosters that feature plenty of players who have lots of career snaps. Both coaching staffs are in their third seasons. Also, neither has question marks at quarterback as Joshua Dobbs (Vols) and Brandon Allen (Razorbacks) return. These two will be interesting to watch.

There are some other Vols related snippets and some pretty interesting notes on other teams. Check it out - especially the part where Derek Mason compared himself to Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier. haha

Around the SEC: Championship Odds

Reactions: 1 person
Here was my favorite of his notes at the end:

-Tennessee head coach Butch Jones was said to be “jumping for joy” when the Vols received a commitment from 6-foot-6 junior college receiver Jeff George- and why not. Here’s another tall, athletic pass catcher heading to Knoxville. These are the types of receivers that the Vols have been known for over the years and George may just be the most freakish of all of them. I’d jump for joy, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason again compared himself to Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier in an audio interview with the Knoxville News-Sentinel Sports Page from SEC Media Days.

lol

Reactions: 2 people
Well guys this is the year. If we can get by the mighty Commodores, the SEC is ours.

I thought it was interesting to not see Florida even as a long shot...

I thought it was interesting to not see Florida even as a long shot...

They will be improved but the schedule is brutal. LSU and Ole Miss to go with FSU... we saw that UK almost beat them and if both teams improve its a dogfight again. If they win more than 6 games give McElwain COY.

They will be improved but the schedule is brutal. LSU and Ole Miss to go with FSU... we saw that UK almost beat them and if both teams improve its a dogfight again. If they win more than 6 games give McElwain COY.

Other Guy, you surprised me a little with "they will be improved." Conventional wisdom in VN, even by the Gator fans who hang out here, seems to be that Florida was kind of a train wreck last year and is going to be a train wreck again this year. Some serious OLine issues, no proven QB, etc.

As for schedule difficulty, that's life in the SEC. Vols have Bama and Arky, along with Oklahoma OOC. Georgia has Bama and Auburn, plus Ga Tech OOC. USCe has LSU and A&M, plus Clemson. These are all roughly equal schedules, and are all significantly tougher than any of the non-SEC title contenders from last year will face in 2015. Every SEC team but Mizzou will likely go up against five or more teams expected to be ranked at the season's start (Mizzou will have four). Other than Oregon, all the top non-SEC contenders from last season are expected to face at most two in the regular season. (Oregon's schedule has four).

Finally, as for McElwain getting COY for a six-win season...sorry, he's not getting such a big pat on the back that easy. All he's gotta do for 6 Ws is beat Kentucky, USCe, Vandy, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, and New Mexico State. Even in a down year, most if not all of that ought to be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Other Guy, you surprised me a little with "they will be improved." Conventional wisdom in VN, even by the Gator fans who hang out here, seems to be that Florida was kind of a train wreck last year and is going to be a train wreck again this year. Some serious OLine issues, no proven QB, etc.

As for schedule difficulty, that's life in the SEC. Vols have Bama and Arky, along with Oklahoma OOC. Georgia has Bama and Auburn, plus Ga Tech OOC. USCe has LSU and A&M, plus Clemson. These are all roughly equal schedules, and are all significantly tougher than any of the non-SEC title contenders from last year will face in 2015. Every SEC team but Mizzou will likely go up against five or more teams expected to be ranked at the season's start (Mizzou will have four). Other than Oregon, all the top non-SEC contenders from last season are expected to face at most two in the regular season. (Oregon's schedule has four).

Finally, as for McElwain getting COY for a six-win season...sorry, he's not getting such a big pat on the back that easy. All he's gotta do for 6 Ws is beat Kentucky, USCe, Vandy, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, and New Mexico State. Even in a down year, most if not all of that ought to be expected.

Truth

What's amazing to me, is I've seen their fans predicting that their offense will be much better this season and they'll win 8, 9, maybe more games. Seriously. Did nobody in their fan base other than their posters on here take note of what an O line with even more starts than 10 returning did to us last year?

Also in the same category of funny fandom, a lot of USCe fans, at least online, believe they have a great shot at winning the East and that their defense is going to suddenly be awesome.

Well we certainly are not American Pharoah at 3:5 odds. Just hope we finish strong around the fourth heading for the stretch and get to another bowl game.

Well we certainly are not American Pharoah at 3:5 odds. Just hope we finish strong around the fourth heading for the stretch and get to another bowl game.

To run totally off the tracks for just a minute ... how awesome is it to once again have a Triple Crown winner in our lives? Happened three times in quick succession when I was a teenager in the '70s, then...nothing. Until now. Huge fan of American Pharoah for bringing that back to us.

/end derail

T'would me even more awesome if Vols finished atop the SEC this year!! GBO

VN Store

Back