Caught A Taxslayer Bowl Replay....

Coug

I caught a Taxslayer bowl replay on the SEC Network earlier today. I was going to ask if someone knew what kind of substitutions Butch made in that 4th quarter that slowed our offense and allowed Iowa to score a couple more touchdowns?

Anyone have the details on the players that were subbed?

Reactions: 1 person
Stopped at 45 in honor of AJ

I love the Vols as much as the next guy, but what?

Weird thing to say if it turns out he's guilty... generally people tend do the opposite of honoring rapists.

I hope he's not guilty and that would be great. As much as I love the Vols, I don't know the guy and can't take up for the guy as long as he potentially raped someone. That's unfair to him if it turns out he's innocent but I can't in good conscience care what so ever about someone who committed rape(if true).

I would love to eat my words if he's found to be innocent(and actually is innocent). It would be beneficial to everyone involved. To him, to the school, to the fans and most importantly, the (supposed) victim. If it turns out he was the victim of false claims, then she's the real scumbag and I'd feel horrible for AJ. None the less, it's hard to look away from rape just because I enjoyed him as a player previously.

August 24th. Hope we'll find out it's not true.

Weird thing to say if it turns out he's guilty... generally people tend do the opposite of honoring rapists.

I hope he's not guilty and that would be great. As much as I love the Vols, I don't know the guy and can't take up for the guy as long as he potentially raped someone. That's unfair to him if it turns out he's innocent but I can't in good conscience care what so ever about someone who committed rape(if true).

I would love to eat my words if he's found to be innocent(and actually is innocent). It would be beneficial to everyone involved. To him, to the school, to the fans and most importantly, the (supposed) victim. If it turns out he was the victim of false claims, then she's the real scumbag and I'd feel horrible for AJ. None the less, it's hard to look away from rape just because I enjoyed him as a player previously.

Pretty sure that was just a joke.

Reactions: 18 people
I caught a Taxslayer bowl replay on the SEC Network earlier today. I was going to ask if someone knew what kind of substitutions Butch made in that 4th quarter that slowed our offense and allowed Iowa to score a couple more touchdowns?

Hurd was injured at some point. That hurt our game plan. We also played a lot of back-ups and Butch called all running plays late in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Hurd was injured at some point. That hut our game plan. We also played a lot of back-ups and Butch called all running plays late in the 3rd.

Hurd was fine...Butch wanted to keep him that way. Could have had a 200 yard plus game easy...not worth the risk.

OP,

Once the outcome was pretty much decided, I'm sure Jones subbed a lot and tried to run the clock. SOP for most coaches when style points aren't needed.

I watched it as well. The offense and defense both slacked off about half way through the 3rd quarter. The starters were still in and Iowa made some big plays. Some of the guys looked tired.

OP,

Once the outcome was pretty much decided, I'm sure Jones subbed a lot and tried to run the clock. SOP for most coaches when style points aren't needed.

He called the dog off about half way through the 3rd. We could have put up 75 if we wanted to. They had no answer for our offense. I still have it on dvr and have watched it about 20 times already..... Can't wait for the season to start

Reactions: 4 people
Hurd was fine...Butch wanted to keep him that way. Could have had a 200 yard plus game easy...not worth the risk.

Didn't he have some work done after the bowl? I'm sure Butch pulled him so he didn't get hurt worse. Seems like Jalen was pulled late in the second quarter.

Didn't he have some work done after the bowl? I'm sure Butch pulled him so he didn't get hurt worse. Seems like Jalen was pulled late in the second quarter.

Half the team had "work" done. He was not injured in the game. Just the normal wear and tear of the season.

He was never 100% anytime in the season...the work done was to get him fixed up for this season...not anything that he incurred against Iowa. If we had needed him he was more than good to go...we saw it. :)

It was 45-14 with 8 minutes left and they beat us over the top a couple of times in trash time.

Hurd was banged-up and there was no need to leave him in there with the outcome already decided. Barnett had a shoulder issue going into the game and hurt it again during the game. We had a lot of significant injuries going into the bowl game, most notably at WR.

I think it had less to do with the injuries and more to do with the natural ebb and flow of a game and the desire to burn the clock and preserve the win.

Get used to UT taking their foot off the gas in garbage time. It's been a looooooooong time since we've had that luxury

you could see Butch backed off. The running backs and QB started to run east west and drop even when they had an open lane. There were a couple of rimes Dobbs was driving in the 4th and they just ran side to side and settled for a field goal.

Stopped at 45 in honor of AJ

That's the "slowed our offense" portion.

In who's honor, was the "and allowed Iowa to score a couple more touchdowns" portion of the question ??

But seriously, First Bowl in years = I'm quite satisfied with that score.

Every time I watch the replay, I was really impressed at how well our O-lined played against Iowa's D-line, it looked like to me UT dominated the line of scrimmage the whole game. I think everyone comes back bigger, stronger and faster. I predict a 8-10 wins, maybe more, if we play well, we could go undefeated.....the ball will have to bounce UT's way a few times, but we have the pieces to create that type of favorable bounce.

Go Vols!!

Pretty sure that joke went right past you....lol

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back