Just read than Andrew Butcher had knee surgery

Incoming Freshman from the Atlanta area, early enrollee, went through spring practice.

296542.jpg

Weakside defensive end
Alpharetta, Georgia
Alpharetta
View Map

Ht:6'3"
Wt:245 lbs
40:4.8 secs
Bench Max:365
Bench Reps:33
Squat Max:500
Vertical:28 inches
Class:2015 (High School)

Andrew Butcher - Yahoo! Sports

Andrew Butcher

Andrew Butcher 2015 DE - Soph Highlights - YouTube

Rumored to be in Knoxville this weekend per Uzzi.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I just read the same thing. They said they weren't sure if he would be ready for the start of fall camp, but I would expect he would be ready for the opening game against BGSU.

Legit redshirt candidate IMO. Needs a year of development and, without a given a number of key injuries at DE, we should have the luxury to let Butcher work on his strength, explosiveness and technique for a year without needing him in the rotation.

Got it. Thanks. Does this doom the 2015 season already?

Absolutely not. It was a minor procedure and has no bearing on our season. He was a red shirt candidate regardless if he had surgery or not.

Legit redshirt candidate IMO. Needs a year of development and, without a given a number of key injuries at DE, we should have the luxury to let Butcher work on his strength, explosiveness and technique for a year without needing him in the rotation.

I agree, and I like the fire this kid has. He's gonna be good I think.

Reactions: 1 person

Looks like a baller. Does not appear super fast but is aggressive and plays with good leverage it appeared at OW.

Last edited:
Looks like a baller. Does not appear super fast ut is aggressive and plays with good leverage it appeared at OW.

Yeah, I was extremely excited about him when he committed. Then we end up with Mackenzie, Tuttle and Richmond. It doesn't mean I'm not still excited about him, but on paper they all look to be better prospects for our DL. That being said, butcher is a workhorse and likely will push longer and harder than most others. I see him in the Ryan Karl/Dane Bradshaw(bb) mold. Contributing and leading his 4th and 5th year. If he steals time early, even better. He is someone who has bought into the university and tradition and someone all vol fans will pull for.

Last edited:

Me too. Put on another 10-15 lbs, gain better explosion and technique to go with a great motor (yep, he's a white player), and I think he becomes a very good player for us going forward.

Yeah, I was extremely excited about him when he committed. Then we end up with Mackenzie, Tuttle and Richmond. It doesn't mean I'm not still excited about him, but on paper they all look to be better prospects for our DL. That being said, butcher is a workhorse and likely will push longer and harder than most others. I see him in the Ryan Karl/Dane Bradshaw(bb) mold. Contributing and leading his 4th and 5th year. If he steals time early, even better. He is someone who has bought into the university and tradition and someone all vol fans will pull for.

Get your point, but for accuracy's sake, Richmond is an offensive tackle, not a DL prospect. Carry on good sir.

Looks like a baller. Does not appear super fast ut is aggressive and plays with good leverage it appeared at OW.

Really?
I thought he looked incredibly small for a DE. And if you're small and lack speed that's not a good combo. Redshirt. Likely to be buried on depth chart.

Maybe this has bee mentioned somewhere but does anyone else think Butcher looks like Kurt Warner?

This is how we build our team for the future, being able to red shirt someone of his quality is how we will compete for the SEC Championship every year, we can build quality depth this way, hope we can red shirt at least half the class if we can we are on our way competing for Championships.:rock:

In a few years, we're gonna have a Butcher carving up the opposing O-line

He is a Will Overstreet clone. He's gonna be good!

High motor, more athletic than you think, deceptively quick, coach on the field, coach able, blue collar, hardnosed, gritty, does things that don't show up in the box score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Butcher has tremendous upside and heart, he'll be a very good player for the Vol's eventually.
Here's to a speedy recovery young man.

Me too. Put on another 10-15 lbs, gain better explosion and technique to go with a great motor (yep, he's a white player), and I think he becomes a very good player for us going forward.

He's a "coach on the field" too KB...regular go-getter and fundamentally sound...won't be outworked! :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back