Nice! Can he catch a football?

WillisWG

I don't like radicals left or right!
Coleman SEC Co-Freshman Runner of the Year - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Tennessee sprinter Christian Coleman has been named the SEC Men's Co-Freshman Runner of the Year, as announced Tuesday by the league office. The award is bestowed upon the Atlanta native with just a little over a week before the start of the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

Coleman is a two-event qualifier for the NCAA Championships, having punched his ticket in both the 100 and 200-meter dash at last weekend's NCAA East Preliminary Round in Jacksonville. He earned his spot in the 100-meter semifinals with a sixth-place finish and a time of 10.33. Later, the true freshman posted a big PR of 20.61 to earn one of the final qualifying spots in the 200. With those performances, Coleman becomes the first Tennessee sprinter since 2011 to move on to the National Championships in both the 100 and 200.

Reactions: 10 people
From his UT bio;

"Also played football at Mercy where he was an all-state, all-region, and all-county defensive back and wide receiver"

Get on him CBJ.

Senior Highlights

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Bio says he's a Recipient of the Former Players Scholarship Endowment Fund. Not sure if he is allowed to play football when on another scholarship. Isn't that an NCAA/SEC violation to keep teams from giving players scholarships to Underwater Basket Weaving team.

He's fast though. Would be a nice addition for the end arounds..oh wait CMB isn't here anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
When did this ever change...football players allowed to be on the track team?

Seems like I remember Gault, Gatlin, Cobb, and lots of others being on both the Football squad and the track team...or am I hitting the pipe too hard again?

Bio says he's a Recipient of the Former Players Scholarship Endowment Fund. Not sure if he is allowed to play football when on another scholarship. Isn't that an NCAA/SEC violation to keep teams from giving players scholarships to Underwater Basket Weaving team.

He's fast though. Would be a nice addition for the end arounds..oh wait CMB isn't here anymore.

Think this is correct. Must be on a football scholly to play football...gone are the days of guys on track schollies playing in Neyland.

Seems like I remember Gault, Gatlin, Cobb, and lots of others being on both the Football squad and the track team...or am I hitting the pipe too hard again?

Silence Vol Fan..... and hand me that pipe:crazy::dance2::pepper:

Several over the years. Not Gatlin tho. His sprinting contemporary tho, Leonard Scott.

BTW, that kid looks really good on film. Good skills not just speed IMO.

Last edited:

Didn't Justin Hunter do both?

I believe Micheal Williams came from the track team last year. No clue how that really ties in with the rules though. Perhaps he was given a football scholarship too?

Several over the years. Not Gatlin tho. His sprinting contemporary tho, Leonard Scott.

BTW, that kid looks really good on film. Good skills not just speed IMO.

Gatlin did try the NFL when he was banned for doping however no NFL team took a chance on him. His best 40 time at the combine was a 4.42.

From his UT bio;

"Also played football at Mercy where he was an all-state, all-region, and all-county defensive back and wide receiver"

Get on him CBJ.

Senior Highlights

Had a brother that was all conference at Harvard and another brother who started 2 years at Colgate. He comes from a smart family!

But with the times he posting as just a freshman, he needs to stay away from anything contact related.
He's a future Olympian. 10.19 100???
That means he has the ability to run sub 10 seconds with continuous training.

Had a brother that was all conference at Harvard and another brother who started 2 years at Colgate. He comes from a smart family!

But with the times he posting as just a freshman, he needs to stay away from anything contact related.
He's a future Olympian. 10.19 100???
That means he has the ability to run sub 10 seconds with continuous training.

A little contact didn't seem to bother Willie Gault.

Gatlin did try the NFL when he was banned for doping however no NFL team took a chance on him. His best 40 time at the combine was a 4.42.

Gatlin did not run at the combine. The times you cite are from a workout with the Titans. Interestingly if you look at times mentioned from his workout with the Texans they are much faster.

I believe Micheal Williams came from the track team last year. No clue how that really ties in with the rules though. Perhaps he was given a football scholarship too?

And for my 1,000th :)....Can we get this kid a football scholarship and then have him walk on for track?..Please tell me someone has talked to him about this.

If there are no indications he might play football...then why did you make a thread op?

I like the fact that he is bringing up possible new exciting players. I would have never known about this young man and admit it would be exciting to add that kind of speed to our roster.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back