1990 Season

jasonvols2.2

Yes, I know we won a championship, but it was still a little bit of a disappointment.

I am not goring to knock them for the Coloraodo game. (Schedule was already tough. There was no need in playing them).

But Auburn and Alabama was inexcusable, and Notre Dame was there for the taking.

I've never understood running a draw on the last play against Colorado. We were in position and had time to try a sideline route to get in FG range. CJM settled for a tie in that game.

Not to knock Tony Thompson but if he gets 1200+ yards behind that line then I think a healthy Chuck Webb is pushing for the Heisman and there's no telling what the team accomplishes.

Reactions: 2 people
My freshmen year and my favorite team! I remember Daryl Hardy was visiting my RA in Hess. My door was open and Hardy came in and whiped my rear in tecmo bowl! I was just thinking the whole time...wow thats Daryl Hardy!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Knowing what I know now, sitting in Neyland for the Florida game that year is one of my favorite memories. The atmosphere that night was electric and Dale Carter and the rest of the Vols rewarded a stadium full of juiced up fans.

Reactions: 1 person
Great season but was stained by the Alabama game. Our explosive offense limited to 6 points as much by play calling as by the defense. And that FG block... Geez.

I've never understood running a draw on the last play against Colorado. We were in position and had time to try a sideline route to get in FG range. CJM settled for a tie in that game.

Just be glad he didn't try a pooch punt on second down #oldschool

Knowing what I know now, sitting in Neyland for the Florida game that year is one of my favorite memories. The atmosphere that night was electric and Dale Carter and the rest of the Vols rewarded a stadium full of juiced up fans.

I will never forget seeing that 2nd half kick off and it was angling towards the sideline and Dale was running for it. I was screaming "what the F___ is he doing??" Then he started weaving thru the defend. And I said "oh, that's what". We gave gay-turd fans hell as they departed the stadium. I believe that was the game when the UT/Fla began

The Auburn game was an epic choke... We lead 26-9 and were rolling (Alvin Harper's TD was awesome) and then got conservative (people will bash Majors but Phil was the OC) and made an average Auburn QB named Stan White look like John Elway. Both JJ McCleskey and Earnest Fields dropped interceptions that would have sealed the win. Greg Burke missed a 30 yard fg from the middle of the freaking field that would have won it. The only coach that ever loved a tie as much as John Majors was Pat "Tie" Dye.

It was a good call but Chuck Webb tried to score when he should have just run out of bounds and set up the field goal.

Yes, I know we won a championship, but it was still a little bit of a disappointment.

I am not goring to knock them for the Coloraodo game. (Schedule was already tough. There was no need in playing them).

But Auburn and Alabama was inexcusable, and Notre Dame was there for the taking.

Greg Burke blew the Auburn game. It was a short FG for the win (27 yards?).

That sucked - my first road game was a tie that felt like a double digit loss.

The Bama game in 90 remains the single most disappointing regular season game in my lifetime.

The 90 Notre Dame game was a great game. Enjoyed it very much even though we lost - there was no quit that day. Losing only made the Miracle at South Bend in 91 that much sweeter.

The Sugar Bowl was awesome. Can't believe it's been 24 yrs since we played in the Superdome

It was a good call but Chuck Webb tried to score when he should have just run out of bounds and set up the field goal.

Correct. Didn't he run out of bounds, but time had barely expired? TN just needed another 2 or 3 seconds on the clock and they would have had a pretty easy field goal that would have defeated that year's co-national champion.

--Webb was supposed to get the first down and get down vs Colorado so Vols could kick the FG. Buffs were completely gassed by the end of that game and the Vols would have won if OT rules were in effect.
--Auburn game was a typical Johnny Majors game: get a big lead and try to run out the clock before the opponents could come back. But, Burke did miss an easy FG on the last play of the game that would have won it.
--Bama game was all Majors. Bama had a very good DL and not much else and Vols ran the ball up the middle the whole game. Blocked FG rolled back to the other end of the field and Bama hit their FG on last play. Johnny always froze up against Bama and lost several games where he had the better team.
--ND game, Majors would not turn the offense loose until they were down late in the game. Kelly led Vols to one TD but then under threw a wide open WR in the end zone and it was picked in last minute of game. Most talent ever to play in one game at Neyland Stadium.

One of the most talented teams in UT history and Majors is to be praised for getting that talent into the fold. But he managed to blow several big games that were easily winnable.

That Florida game is the most fun I ever had in Neyland Stadium. Turned a 7-3 halftime lead into a 45-3 win.

The Auburn game was an epic choke... We lead 26-9 and were rolling (Alvin Harper's TD was awesome) and then got conservative (people will bash Majors but Phil was the OC) and made an average Auburn QB named Stan White look like John Elway. Both JJ McCleskey and Earnest Fields dropped interceptions that would have sealed the win. Greg Burke missed a 30 yard fg from the middle of the freaking field that would have won it. The only coach that ever loved a tie as much as John Majors was Pat "Tie" Dye.

I was at that game; the worst I've felt after any UT game.......not to mention they let Auburn score two TD's on 4th and ten. I think the FG was a little longer than 30, but I could be wrong.

I have talked about this season several times on VN. The outcome of this season was a complete failure. CJM best overall talented team by far.... Worse coaching job of his career. This team was loaded with fire power... A 9/6 loss to alabubba that year sealed the deal with me on CJM.... Worse feeling I've ever had leaving the stadium! But on the bright side... Look at the talent on this years team and the overall make up. Looks allot like 89/90. No ties anymore!

That Florida game is the most fun I ever had in Neyland Stadium. Turned a 7-3 halftime lead into a 45-3 win.

handing the ball to the TE on an end around and having Von Reeves throw a bomb to Carl Pickens in stride might still just be the coolest trick play I've ever seen.

I was at that game; the worst I've felt after any UT game.......not to mention they let Auburn score two TD's on 4th and ten. I think the FG was a little longer than 30, but I could be wrong.

I was there too.

Not only was it 2 TDs on 4th down, but they also went for 2 twice and made it both times. Stan White - can't forget that guy no matter how I'd like to.

I have talked about this season several times on VN. The outcome of this season was a complete failure. CJM best overall talented team by far.... Worse coaching job of his career. This team was loaded with fire power... A 9/6 loss to alabubba that year sealed the deal with me on CJM.... Worse feeling I've ever had leaving the stadium! But on the bright side... Look at the talent on this years team and the overall make up. Looks allot like 89/90. No ties anymore!

A healthy Chuck Webb gets us a serious shot at a national championship in 90.

handing the ball to the TE on an end around and having Von Reeves throw a bomb to Carl Pickens in stride might still just be the coolest trick play I've ever seen.

One of my favorite plays of all time. That game was so damn fun.

First/last time I've seen the gator chomp by a stadium full of Vols and Gator fans leaving early.

I went to the Colorado game out in Anaheim, CA while I was out there on business. The Buffalos ran wild over us all day and gained well over 300 yards rushing for the game. In the end we tied the game but it really was a poor job defensively. Felt like a loss.

I went to the Colorado game out in Anaheim, CA while I was out there on business. The Buffalos ran wild over us all day and gained well over 300 yards rushing for the game. In the end we tied the game but it really was a poor job defensively. Felt like a loss.

New defense - switched to 4-3 - with a comeback tie to eventual national champs.

Pritchard and Bienemy were both drafted by NFL.

Felt like a win that got away watching at home on TV.

I don't feel that way. That was one of Andy Kelly's best ever games (33-55 368 yards 3 TD's). Chuck Webb had 27 carries for 131 yards. Yes, Colorado ran well (that was what they did) but Tennessee more than held it's own and scored 3 touchdowns in the final 9 minutes of the game to overcome a 2 TD deficit. If the '90 Auburn game felt like a loss, to me the Colorado game felt like a win. That was a great game and one of the best 4th quarters I've ever seen...and let's not forget the game ended with Chuck Webb stepping out of bounds at the Colorado 16 yard line. We literally needed just one more play to win the game (except Burke may have missed that one anyway).

VN Store

Back