Not happy with RB depth

UTVOLKeith

punished good deeds
This bothers me more than any other position. Butch has had time to build this up but we're as thin as you can get even with no injuries.

Third string RB is not even on campus yet and he's not an every down back.

Reactions: 2 people
We need more depth but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. We have Hurd and Kamara, with Joseph young, John Kelly and the Abernathy kid behind them. I think we will be okay but need 2 RB's in this next class.

Reactions: 8 people
Yeah, Butch has worked miracles with the roster in two short years, but the fact that we only have three 3-stars behind Hurd and Kamara after Abernathy gets here is just unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
A little less decaf my friend. CBJ has turned over a ton of the roster, but RB is one area we have not developed the depth we need. We are a recruiting class or two away from the depth we need accross the board. But we do have players such as transfer RDA VI, and one of the Berry kids that could step in if needed. It is better for CBJ to be selective and get good backs than just sign a ** that is a "Dools Diamond in the Rough" and hope the kid works out just for the sake of saying you have a RB. I believe I read somewhere that RB is the top priority in this recruiting cycle for CBJ. So just give it a little more time.

Reactions: 9 people
Yeah, Butch has worked miracles with the roster in two short years, but the fact that we only have three 3-stars behind Hurd and Kamara after Abernathy gets here is just unacceptable.

Who are they? Even the Kelly is an athlete because of his size.

He took a RB in 2013 who never made it in, 2 RBs in 2014 and had one transfer and one get kicked off the team, and 4 (Kelly, Young, Kamara, RDA IV) in 2015.

What else was he supposed to do?

Reactions: 29 people
A little less decaf my friend. CBJ has turned over a ton of the roster, but RB is one area we have not developed the depth we need. We are a recruiting class or two away from the depth we need accross the board. But we do have players such as transfer RDA VI, and one of the Berry kids that could step in if needed. It is better for CBJ to be selective and get good backs than just sign a ** that is a "Dools Diamond in the Rough" and hope the kid works out just for the sake of saying you have a RB. I believe I read somewhere that RB is the top priority in this recruiting cycle for CBJ. So just give it a little more time.

No, it should have all been corrected in the first class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He took a RB in 2013 who never made it in, 2 RBs in 2014 and had one transfer and one get kicked off the team, and 4 (Kelly, Young, Kamara, RDA IV) in 2015.

What else was he supposed to do?

You missed the sarcasm in my post.

Cheer up, it will end well just like this gif.

1295155567998.gif

Reactions: 3 people
This bothers me more than any other position. Butch has had time to build this up but we're as thin as you can get even with no injuries.

Third string RB is not even on campus yet and he's not an every down back.

I guess you yern for the D You g Jaron Toney, David Yancey years for 3rd sting backs

Reactions: 3 people
It is better for CBJ to be selective and get good backs than just sign a ** that is a "Dools Diamond in the Rough" and hope the kid works out just for the sake of saying you have a RB.

What do you think Kelly is?

He better come in like gang busters or our RB position could become a huge weakness.

No, it should have all been corrected in the first class.

You really have no clue what you're talking about if you think every roster deficiency should have been corrected in a class he had roughly 2 months to recruit.

Of all the (perfectly fair) gripes someone may have with CBJ... we have a guy complaining about the one thing which has been a home run, recruiting.

I'm stunned.

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah, Butch has worked miracles with the roster in two short years, but the fact that we only have three 3-stars behind Hurd and Kamara after Abernathy gets here is JUST UNACCEPTABLE.

To who? :huh: Anybody else remember Signing Day 2013 and the pipe dream of landing a FOUR star RB? Much less two FIVE stars? :scare:

Go on with your ridiculous self. :shades:

You really have no clue what you're talking about if you think every roster deficiency should have been corrected in a class he had roughly 2 months to recruit.

Of all the (perfectly fair) gripes someone may have with CBJ... we have a guy complaining about the one thing which has been a home run, recruiting.

I'm stunned.

FWIW Ez, I know sarcasm when I see it.

I am concerned as well but I will take those two over any group we've had over that last 4 years.

What do you think Kelly is?

He better come in like gang busters or our RB position could become a huge weakness.

Nobody other than Hurd and Kamara needs to "come in like gangbusters".....they won't be counted on for much of anything else other than giving those 2 a quick break and handling the second half carries vs our weaker ooc opponents. That being said, we'll have plenty of bodies to back up our top 2 NFL caliber guys....Kelly, Abernathy, Young, Bruce....that's 6 scholarship RBs.

RB is such a tough position in the SEC and you can lose guys very quickly. A couple seasons ago we had Gurley and Marshall as one of the best one-two punches in all of college football and before you knew it we were down to two true freshmen running the ball. This is a tough league and you need all the depth you can get.

Reactions: 5 people
Depth at RB is concerning and makes it's even more important for Hurd and Kamara to stay healthy and productive.
I'm not worried about Hurd, but I am concerned that Kamara may not live up to all the hype running against SEC defenses.
Injuries, well, no injuries at RB please?

Roster depth is going to take more time. We are not Ohio State who can plug their 3rd string QB and win the NC. It is coming though. I see op's concern over RB situation, but where would we be without Dobbs. More of a concern IMO.

RB is such a tough position in the SEC and you can lose guys very quickly. A couple seasons ago we had Gurley and Marshall as one of the best one-two punches in all of college football and before you knew it we were down to two true freshmen running the ball. This is a tough league and you need all the depth you can get.

This alone is reason to temper expectations, No?
NO!

VN Store

Back