Phil Steele's Pre-Season All-SEC List

AF_VOL

I have listened to Phil and read his magazine for a few years now. I think he is one of the best in the business. I think it's a solid list, but I'm surprised to not see Dobbs at all. I would also have moved Sutton and Barnett up a team. What say you VolNation?

1st Team:
none

2nd Team:
Curt Maggitt (also made 3rd team All American)

3rd Team:
Jalen Hurd
Marquez North
Derek Barnett
LaDarrell McNeil
Cameron Sutton

4th Team:
Jalen Reeves-Maybin

SEC: Phil Steele

All American: Phil Steele

P.S. I know pre-season lists don't matter, just something to discuss during the dog days.

Lot of talent in the SEC. But lists don't win games. He might think differently post-season.

Barnett and Sutton are 2nd team if not 1st. I'd also have Dobbs at least in the 4th.

Reactions: 2 people
That's a joke .Barnett just came off one of the most dominant seasons ever by a sec defensive end.Not to mention he was a true freshman.I guess Phil thinks Barnett is going to have the sophomore slump while Garrett gets better.What a joke.Phil should be ashamed

Reactions: 3 people
I have listened to Phil and read his magazine for a few years now. I think he is one of the best in the business. I think it's a solid list, but I'm surprised to not see Dobbs at all. I would also have moved Sutton and Barnett up a team. What say you VolNation?

1st Team:
none

2nd Team:

3rd Team:
Jalen Hurd
Marquez North
Derek Barnett
LaDarrell McNeil
Cameron Sutton

4th Team:
Jalen Reeves-Maybin

P.S. I know pre-season lists don't matter, just something to discuss during the dog days.

Only way this is accurate is if we have some injuries. McNeil will be fighting for playing time. If Barnett and Maggitt do what they do, then our secondary (Sutton, ????) will move up this list. Maybin below 3rd team is a joke. He will be top 2-3 in SEC in total tackles. AJ 2.0

Reactions: 1 person
Phil used to be the most respected in the business years ago. His predictions / opinions have slipped a good bit in recent years. This latest list, makes it appear he has been MIA the past two years, as it relates to Tennessee Football.

My List:
1st Team:
Derek Barnett
Cameron Sutton

2nd Team
Dobbs
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Hurd

3rd Team
North (injury in 2014)
Sutton (injury in 2014)
McNeil (came on strong 2nd half of season)

Phil Steele still holds his 5* picks in high regard regardless of performance.

Go Vols!

My List:
1st Team:
Derek Barnett
Cameron Sutton

2nd Team
Dobbs
Jalen Reeves-Maybin
Hurd

3rd Team
North (injury in 2014)
Sutton (injury in 2014)
McNeil (came on strong 2nd half of season)

Phil Steele still holds his 5* picks in high regard regardless of performance.

Go Vols!

What about Kamara, you don't think he'll make at least 3rd team?

1st Team:
none

2nd Team:

3rd Team:
Jalen Hurd
Marquez North
Derek Barnett
LaDarrell McNeil
Cameron Sutton

4th Team:
Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Absolutely absurd list

Reactions: 6 people
There are a ton of top-notch RBs this year in the SEC, so we can forgive Steele not putting Hurd higher than 3rd team. Might disagree, but understandable.

There's no excuse for leaving Dobbs off, short of not believing he's good. So that's what Steele is saying, that he believes Josh is not one of the four best QBs in the SEC in 2015. I think he's dead wrong. I think Josh is probably 2nd going into the season, behind Prescott, with a chance at ending the year 1st.

I can even see him leaving our WRs off the first two teams, there's a lot of quality SEC-wide there, too. Don't know enough about other teams' tight ends to judge that one. And can absolutely understand us having no OLinemen.

So on offense, his big screw-up was not putting Dobbs at 2nd team.

On defense, he has both Barnett and Sutton too low. Barnett I'd put 1st team, and Sutton borderline between 1st and 2nd team (only because there are so many outstanding DBs across the SEC this year). Everything else, I could live with, for now...think a lot of Vols players' stock is going to rise rapidly as 2015 plays out, but ok for now.

Bottom line for me: Dobbs, Barnett, Sutton are miscues by Steele ... rest is arguable but not egregious.

Reactions: 2 people
Haha, what a bull**** ranking for Barnett and Sutton. I'm a little surprised by this as it seems like Phil Steele usually knows his stuff but he is WAY off here IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Maggitt is no 2nd teamer. Move him to 3rd team.

Barnett is definately a 2nd teamer. Probably Sutton too.

North will have to go a long way to be a 3rd teamer. Not sure he will get the ball enough to be a 3rd teamer. Other teams #1 may push him further down. .

Maggitt is no 2nd teamer. Move him to 3rd team.

Barnett is definately a 2nd teamer. Probably Sutton too.

North will have to go a long way to be a 3rd teamer. Not sure he will get the ball enough to be a 3rd teamer. Other teams #1 may push him further down. .

Barnett and Sutton would be preseason All-America if they played for Alabama.

Reactions: 4 people
JRM 4th team? He'll be no worse than the 4th leading returning tackler in the SEC and the 3rd leading "tackler-for-loss" amongst LBs. How the hell is he no better than the 13th best returning LB??

Last edited:

VN Store

Back