Aaron Medley learns valuable lessons from James Wilhoit

kamoshika

Wilhoit started studying technique obsessively to try to make another push at the NFL. That never transpired, but seven years ago, Wilhoit started training kickers while working as an Advanced Placement U.S. history teacher and special teams coach at Mt. Juliet High School. He said he now has 120 kickers he trains regularly, including Medley, Ole Miss kicker Gary Wunderlich and Wisconsin’s Rafael Gaglianone.

He’s closer to Medley than most of his pupils, though.

“I feel like as I’ve grown as a coach, he’s grown as a kicker,” Wilhoit said.”He’s kind of my guinea pig. I try a lot of drills out on him first, and he masters it and can explain it for some of the other guys.”

Medley credits Wilhoit’s lessons for much of his success.

Aaron Medley learns valuable lessons from James Wilhoit - GoVolsXtra Story

Reactions: 8 people
Even our kicker is crossing into new levels of skill and maturity.

I try to temper expectations, but man it's hard not to think something big is happening on Rocky Top.

Reactions: 5 people
Given what Butch and staff did for Palardy it wouldn't surprise me to see Medley breaking his own records this year.

I think he's gonna nail some big kicks this year. That long one in the O&W game was just a warm up.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he's gonna nail some big kicks this year. That long one in the O&W game was just a warm up.

hopefully he doesn't have to kick a 52 yard fg with little to no time left in a archrival game for the win......my body physically can't take it

Great interview. It's nice to hear kids that can speak correctly and intelligently in an interview. Seems to be a common theme with the kids UT has been bringing in lately.

Speaking of Wilhoit, are we getting the Nike ball this year? I know he'd hated the Wilson we'd been using at one point. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

Speaking of Wilhoit, are we getting the Nike ball this year? I know he'd hated the Wilson we'd been using at one point. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

I thought I read that we've been practicing with unmarked Nike balls this spring to prepare for the transition away from Wilson balls.

Ha, I graduated from MJHS, had no idea Wilhoit taught there. Not sure if he still does or not.

Last edited:
Even our kicker is crossing into new levels of skill and maturity.

I try to temper expectations, but man it's hard not to think something big is happening on Rocky Top.
Ain't it the truth, CTV! I'm trying to temper my reasoning about all this hype our boys are receiving, as well, but there is a noticeable reason these Vols look so all-round bound for great achievements. I can't recall ANY college team that's displayed such unity and such a championship demeanor...as a group and, as illustrated by this post, as individuals team members...from the water boys to the AD. Proof that Butch has got it is the fact that all the rest of 'em have got it, too. 'Can't wait for September.

Reactions: 1 person
Withoit is one of my favorite kickers. The 04 kick against Florida was legendary.

VN Store

Back