SEC East: Potential pitfall games

Rockytoptn83

Two Tennessee games make the list...overall, pretty good hype for the Vols!

SEC East: Potential pitfall games - SEC Blog - ESPN

Georgia: at Tennessee, Oct. 10
The Vols are surging under Butch Jones, operating well ahead of what the rebuilding schedule looked like a few years ago. Given their youth (we’ll get to that later), the last thing you want to give them is confidence. At home on Rocky Top, Georgia will be given all it can handle, despite their edge in depth and experience. A win might mean a clear path to win the East. A loss means a dogfight with a talented team that’s young enough not to know better.

Tennessee: at Florida, Sept. 26

They’re young. Many of the Vols fans are counting on to play key roles this season -- Todd Kelly Jr. and Derek Barnett to name a couple -- just finished their first spring practice. If a few starters go down, there’s not a lot of experienced depth behind them. But with all that said, expectations for Tennessee to make a run at the East are ever-present.

Reactions: 3 people
This is dumb... he says these are under-the-radar games that could sneak up on the favored team...

Is Florida really an under-the-radar game for us? Do we really expect to cruise in this game?

Reactions: 1 person
This is dumb... he says these are under-the-radar games that could sneak up on the favored team...

Is Florida really an under-the-radar game for us? Do we really expect to cruise in this game?

potential pitfall game: @Kentucky

You hit it on the head, Golfballs. That and USCe are the real traps on our schedule. Nobody is overlooking Florida. KB won't let us. ;)

I'm not sure they so much mean we'd be overlooking Florida per se. Just that if we lose that game it would kill our chances for the East and possibly set a downward turn for the remainder of the season. That game is a must win for us to have a successful season IMO.

I know UK hates us and wants to beat us badly, but we've recruited better and have more talent 2-deep at almost every position. Unless we lose half the team to injury, Dobbs decides to take the day off and Butch pulls a Dooley, I feel confident about UK.

IMO, Arky could be the trap, sandwiched between UF and UGA. If we beat UF, it will be tempting to look ahead to UGA, a big-stakes game that could decide the East. A loss to UF would be draining and demoralizing and could potentially end our SECe hopes. Arky is dangerous.

I know UK hates us and wants to beat us badly, but we've recruited better and have more talent 2-deep at almost every position. Unless we lose half the team to injury, Dobbs decides to take the day off and Butch pulls a Dooley, I feel confident about UK.

IMO, Arky could be the trap, sandwiched between UF and UGA. If we beat UF, it will be tempting to look ahead to UGA, a big-stakes game that could decide the East. A loss to UF would be draining and demoralizing and could potentially end our SECe hopes. Arky is dangerous.

The Arky game is my personal pitfall game. If we lose, I'm not coming to work the following Monday. I live in the heart of Pig country and between my husband and coworkers, I'll end up divorced or fired.

What does TK Jr and Barnett finishing their first spring practice have to do with anything?

When we win both, we control our own destiny in the EAST. Atlanta on my mind then.

You're forgetting @Mizzou.

For all the talk of "I'm not picking us to win over Florida until we do" on this board, everyone seems to overlook Missouri. They've gone to two straight SECCG's and we play at their house this year.

What does TK Jr and Barnett finishing their first spring practice have to do with anything?

Just a way for the author to gloss over the fact that both TKJr and Barnett played in all 13 games each last season (including a combined 16 starts) in order to bolster his argument/point that UT is still a young team. It's a bit misleading IMO.

Not to mention the fact the TK Jr is a very talented backup for an upperclassman. Barnett is a beast that will once again set records this year. We do lack depth at some positions (QB, RB, OL) but we will have as good as or better talent all over the field this year.

I'm hoping we play and destroy LSU in the SEC Championship game and finally break and remove that curse forever. This is after already betting OU, FL, UGA, Mizzou, ARK, and Bama.

potential pitfall game: @Kentucky
Cats will be improved, but we own those guys this year. For me Arky is the trap game, even though we are at home. We'll find out if our fab five star fresh DLs can hang with a really good and experienced SEC OL. If our two youngsters maybe along with Picou and our other DLs can get a good rotation, keep them off of our next line of defensive people, we'll be okay. If not it could be a long day and our offense will have to out score them.

For the first time in some time we can compete in every game this year. We are still the hunter and not the hunted IMO which is even more exciting. Till then we can split hairs between which games are "pitfalls" vs "cliff jumpers". I am just glad that we are at the very least relevant GBO!

Re "Many of the Vols fans are counting on to play key roles this season -- Todd Kelly Jr. and Derek Barnett to name a couple -- just finished their first spring practice."

If true, this would be better than the actual situation (many of the key Vols weren't even able, for various, legitimate reasons TO participate) -- but it's coming together, nonetheless. GBO !

You're forgetting @Mizzou.

For all the talk of "I'm not picking us to win over Florida until we do" on this board, everyone seems to overlook Missouri. They've gone to two straight SECCG's and we play at their house this year.

They have ONE... ONLY ONE returning skill player who has proven he can play in the SEC- Hansborough. Their leading returning WR is a Soph... with 5 career catches. A year after replacing 3 of their top DL's, they replace 4 this year... AND will do so without a projected starter at DE who had little experience but time in program to develop. He was kicked off the team recently.

If UT plays anywhere close to potential, it should not be a game.

I don't know why I continue to let this ignorance make me respond.

Who in the East or anywhere in the SEC other than Bama and maybe Auburn could have a couple of injuries in one position group or another and not have "depth and experience" problems? Ole Miss lost one WR last year and fell apart.

Even looking at Bama... two of their top 3 NT last year were Sr's. What if Robinson and Tomlinson get injured? Well, suddenly they are young and thin at NT.

All of this "stuff" concerning UT's youth and depth is just that... stuff. Any scenario that can be used to demonstrate that injuries could leave UT "thin and young" at a position group could be used of every other team in CFB.

Reactions: 2 people
They have ONE... ONLY ONE returning skill player who has proven he can play in the SEC- Hansborough. Their leading returning WR is a Soph... with 5 career catches. A year after replacing 3 of their top DL's, they replace 4 this year... AND will do so without a projected starter at DE who had little experience but time in program to develop. He was kicked off the team recently.

If UT plays anywhere close to potential, it should not be a game.

Sounds like what everyone said last year.

Personally I think the trap game for us is South Carolina. We have a streak on them. They have a few questions on offense but their defense should be better. I just hope Spurrier doesn't come up with a hail mary play or some off the wall play to pull out a close one(see Fla last year). Arkansas isn't a trap game because I think it will be a tossup. It is gonna be a tough one . We have been knocking on the door of GA and Fla. and I think we break thru this year against them.

Personally I think the trap game for us is South Carolina. We have a streak on them. They have a few questions on offense but their defense should be better. I just hope Spurrier doesn't come up with a hail mary play or some off the wall play to pull out a close one(see Fla last year). Arkansas isn't a trap game because I think it will be a tossup. It is gonna be a tough one . We have been knocking on the door of GA and Fla. and I think we break thru this year against them.

Agreed. In this year's USCe game, the team should be on high alert for onsides every single kick, a fake on every punt, and plenty of shenanigans involving Spurrier throwing hats, arguing with refs, and throwing hats at refs. The old dude will have a massive coronary on the field if he loses to Tennesse for a third year in a row.

VN Store

Back