Film Study: Vols OC DeBord earning his keep with Dobbs improvement

Film Study: Vols OC DeBord earning his keep with Dobbs improvement

This is a pretty good breakdown of improvements in Dobbs's mechanics. Although it's somewhat short, there is a second part to follow, as mentioned at the end of the article.

William, thanks for the post, my man! I saw you posted another article of mine here during the season: Get Tennessee while you can.

Lol that article is short? It's over 1,000 words with a few gifs, man. Cut me some slack, bro. haha

Thanks again.

Reactions: 25 people
William, thanks for the post, my man! I saw you posted another article of mine here during the season: Get Tennessee while you can.

Lol that article is short? It's over 1,000 words with a few gifs, man. Cut me some slack, bro. haha

Thanks again.
Good stuff. Really enjoyed the read and the gifs.

Good stuff. Really enjoyed the read and the gifs.

'preciate ya, Von! Glad you enjoyed it. I have a ton more stuff coming your way as I will be a lot more involved with covering Tennessee by way of a couple of platforms now -- most notably a podcast on Vols Radio with my guy Dave Hooker of 1180 WVLZ. I'll have a regular spot on his show, too.

Reactions: 7 people

Thanks again.

We could use more of this...a lot. :hi: I'm fascinated by the story of DeBord immediately recognizing that Dobbs's feet were improperly spaced...forcing him to throw across his body. Simple flaw simple fix significant improvement...interested in your take on that and other tidbits we may not be aware of at this moment.

I thought that was an excellent article. It was apparently written by someone that knows what he is talking about. I can not wait for the season to start.

We could use more of this...a lot. :hi: I'm fascinated by the story of DeBord immediately recognizing that Dobbs's feet were improperly spaced...forcing him to throw across his body. Simple flaw simple fix significant improvement...interested in your take on that and other tidbits we may not be aware of at this moment.

Butch, wasn't aware of that story but it makes complete sense. I like the idea of adding those eyes for mechanics rather it being a scheme overhaul.

I'm just loving the fact that he's not locked-in on a target during his scan phase. As for the gather phase, being as though it's out of the Gun, you can easily get lazy with your spacing -- so DeBord must be in his ear about that a lot.

I definitely like what I saw. Liked what I saw from Dormady, too.

Reactions: 4 people
I thought that was an excellent article. It was apparently written by someone that knows what he is talking about. I can not wait for the season to start.

Thanks, BBV. Yeah I played semi-pro not long ago -- and if I weren't a full-time writer I would probably be still playing looking to go Arena League or something.

My wife is certainly glad I'm not out there flying around the field trying to take someone's head off, though. haha

Reactions: 5 people
You know, given the sheer number of people who write about college football these days, actual insightful articles like this are exceedingly rare.

I love this stuff and it's a much more entertaining read than "5 Reasons the Vols Are a Darkhorse in the SEC East."

Great stuff, MurfBaldwin!

Reactions: 5 people
You know, given the sheer number of people who write about college football these days, actual insightful articles like this are exceedingly rare.

I love this stuff and it's a much more entertaining read than "5 Reasons the Vols Are a Darkhorse in the SEC East."

Great stuff, MurfBaldwin!

I don't blame you, Aesius. I don't read anything that isn't mine outside of football books from writers I look up to. Way too much content out there on the net that's just like you described.

But you'd be surprised by the amount of clicks and views those type of articles receive...way more than the type of stuff I do, I'll tell you that.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch, wasn't aware of that story but it makes complete sense. I like the idea of adding those eyes for mechanics rather it being a scheme overhaul.

I'm just loving the fact that he's not locked-in on a target during his scan phase. As for the gather phase, being as though it's out of the Gun, you can easily get lazy with your spacing -- so DeBord must be in his ear about that a lot.

I definitely like what I saw. Liked what I saw from Dormady, too.

Those gifs you posted showed how much he's improved on looking off DBs...by "improved" I mean HE'S ACTUALLY DOING IT! :).

I'm so far behind on Butch's scheme, that I was unaware that the Cheetah set was a standard. Where can we reference that info?

Reactions: 2 people
Those gifs you posted showed how much he's improved on looking off DBs...by "improved" I mean HE'S ACTUALLY DOING IT! :).

I'm so far behind on Butch's scheme, that I was unaware that the Cheetah set was a standard. Where can we reference that info?

Yeah, lol, him actually doing it is HUGE! I'm sure 'Cheetah' isn't actually what Butch calls it as I referenced a playbook from a team I played for that was a traditional outfit.

It's really for me to be able to quickly identify without having to dig around a million sequences to find what I want for future studies -- so I label it...

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, lol, him actually doing it is HUGE! I'm sure 'Cheetah' isn't actually what Butch calls it as I referenced a playbook from a team I played for that was a traditional outfit.

It's really for me to be able to quickly identify without having to dig around a million sequences to find what I want for future studies -- so I label it...

Ok...cool. I was confident that I had been paying attention...hate missing terminology. :)

'preciate ya, Von! Glad you enjoyed it. I have a ton more stuff coming your way as I will be a lot more involved with covering Tennessee by way of a couple of platforms now -- most notably a podcast on Vols Radio with my guy Dave Hooker of 1180 WVLZ. I'll have a regular spot on his show, too.

Great! Looking forward to it.

Reactions: 1 person
I wasn't able to see the O&W game so hopefully someone can answer this for me.....have they adjusted the RB alignment in the backfield so that he's not 1 yd behind the QB on a run play but lined up at the same depth as the QB on a pass play? One of the announcers called that out during one of our games last year and he was spot on. You could always tell whether it was run or pass by looking at the RB.

Hope you do more of these Murf! These are the type of things I really enjoy reading and learning from.

Norris, I've done quite a few on the Vols when I've had the chance. I will do more now that I'm going to be more closely associated with the team through other platforms.

Film Study: Power run game key for Vols' future SEC East takeover

This one was one of my personal faves. I'm all about the run game taking this team to the next level...

Thanks again, and please check me out and download the Vols Sports Radio app when it drops in a few days.

Reactions: 6 people
I wasn't able to see the O&W game so hopefully someone can answer this for me.....have they adjusted the RB alignment in the backfield so that he's not 1 yd behind the QB on a run play but lined up at the same depth as the QB on a pass play? One of the announcers called that out during one of our games last year and he was spot on. You could always tell whether it was run or pass by looking at the RB.

Saw the thread on it last year too. But, I wonder if from the viewpoint of the defense if it is noticeable or not? Easy to identify from the side, but not noticeable from the defensive side.

If the film bears it out, then it needs to be changed tho.

Thanks again.

Good work. Love this kind of stuff. Thanks to OP also.

Saw the thread on it last year too. But, I wonder if from the viewpoint of the defense if it is noticeable or not? Easy to identify from the side, but not noticeable from the defensive side.

If the film bears it out, then it needs to be changed tho.

I think it would be pretty easy for the sideline to signal in where the back is lined up.

Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the material, and keep it coming. It's great stuff. I suppose the term "relatively short" would have been better. :) These are usually pretty lengthy reads. It is a slow day here so who knows, maybe it's just me lol. Apologies then. :)

VN Store

Back