Vols post highest single-season APR in program history

kamoshika

Tennessee’s football program continues to excel in the classroom under the direction of head coach Butch Jones.

The Vols posted a single-season program record Academic Progress Rate (APR) with a score of 972 in the 2013-14 academic year, for which results were released Wednesday afternoon. This comes on the heels of the football team posting a program-record 2.85 GPA for the spring semester.

...The biggest takeaway is that, for the time being, Tennessee’s football program is in virtually no danger of facing NCAA penalties in an area that was a huge concern a couple years ago.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/05/27/vols-post-highest-single-season-apr-in-football-programs-history/

UT Announces 2013-14 APRs - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Reactions: 12 people
With all the demands of college football these days, that is truly impressive. Congratulations to all of UT athletics,
what an amazing achievement.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the basketball numbers are impressive considering the coaching change and departures from when Zo left.

Great job UT athletics!

Do we actually know what Dobbs' GPA is? Does it matter the difficulty of the classes or is it just the unweighted number?

A 4.0 counts the same in basket weaving 101 as it does in aeronautical engineering. That being said, I know which one is more impressive.

Me too! After completing the design of the latest top-secret stealth fighter, I just can't seem to get the pattern correct on this Longaberger knock off........

That's embarrassing that we were that low during the previous coaches' tenures. Kudos to Butch for motivating the guys on the field and in the classroom

Dobbs alone is enough to raise the bell curve for the entire roster.
That means the rest of the team can devote more time to practice.

Something to be extremely proud of. A lot of credit goes to the staff and Butch, but seriously, awesome job by the student-athletes.

Kind of a meaningless record since the APR has been around for only a couple yars. What is the average and median GPAs for the teams? That would be more telling. How many made honors?

The fact this is a "record" only since about 2010 (?) doesn't give the earlier teams under guys like Neyland any credit for what they may have achieved in the classroom.

Kind of a meaningless record since the APR has been around for only a couple yars. What is the average and median GPAs for the teams? That would be more telling. How many made honors?

The fact this is a "record" only since about 2010 (?) doesn't give the earlier teams under guys like Neyland any credit for what they may have achieved in the classroom.

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine! Do you also seek out 4 year olds and lecture them on how graduating Pre-K is meaningless because they've only been in school 1 year?

Reactions: 2 people

Iirc, 51 players had a 3.0 or better gpa in Spring semester, which compared to only 18 players reaching that mark the semester before Jones' arrival. Also, again iirc, the team gpa was also an all-time high 2.85 compared to Dooley's team gpa in 2012 that was in the 2.1-2.2 range.

TSU is banned from post season because of APA this year. They say they will add more study hall. Heard on news this AM that there were 9 schools, don't know the others. Nashville news so they only listed TSU.

Couple years? 2010? Try 2003.
Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

Well. 12 years of that stat and 119 years of UT football. You just made my point. Meaningless stat when used to compare PRIOR TEAMS before 2003. .

Whatever. It still shows it is trending in the right direction--even if it is a small sample size. And, there is no denying that Butch encourages the academic side to his players.

Good job by all IMO.

Well. 12 years of that stat and 119 years of UT football. You just made my point. Meaningless stat when used to compare PRIOR TEAMS before 2003. .

Your "point" is moot since the APR didn't exist prior to '03. You do know that's what we're talking about here, correct? Is the best (of anything) in over a decade not an achievement?

Alas, take heart; recognizing the highest APR to date in no way diminishes the well-established academic prowess of Zora G. Clevenger's 1912 squad of swarthy bookworms.
3ff3a857a6f2e529b140f437ccb761d5.jpg

My point is moot huh? Hardly. Hope you are not a lawyer. If you are I bet you still are searching for your first court victory.

VN Store

Back