Don't understand Volnations obsession with..

VOLcomCameron

Running the football. it seems like I've seen hundreds of comments and threads about how we have to pound the Rock every game and how all we have to do is run on this team or that team to win and saying things like if we could run every down to win I would. What about all these sick athletes we have at WR? And Dobbs can throw! we need to have a 50 50 balanced attack or maybe even close to 55 45 pass run with these WR we have. If we can get a balanced attack going it could be top 3 in the SEC for sure and it would do nothing but HELP the Oline!

Reactions: 2 people
A strong defense, a solid kicking game, a solid o line with a great running game will win championships.Control the clock and field position
With a great running game the passing game will be there for the knock out blows.

I know it's the ''age" of throwing it all over the field for 60attempts a game. That's flashy but it's not necessary.

Reactions: 6 people
Can you provide some examples? Because I have no clue what you are talking about.

A strong defense, a solid kicking game, a solid o line with a great running game will win championships.Control the clock and field position
With a great running game the passing game will be there for the knock out blows.

I know it's the ''age" of throwing it all over the field for 60attempts a game. That's flashy but it's not necessary.

^^^ this guy chattown vol.

Reactions: 1 person
We are not Arkansas or Alabama we are Tennessee we have a history of having great Recievers and quarterbacks. Pounding the rock and controlling the clock is not our style bUTch has told you that before. We have a physical offense but he wants to get as many snaps on offense as possible and wants to throw the football around a little also

Last edited:
I thought that "pounding the rock" went away with the "Girls Of" threads...

We are not Arkansas or Alabama we are Tennessee we have a history of having great Recievers and quarterbacks. Pounding the rock and controlling the clock is not our style but has told you that before. We have a physical offense but he wants to get as many snaps on offense as possible and wants to throw the football around a little also

You obviously don't know much about Tennessee then if you think all we have ever done is pass. Go back to the glory years and look at our rbs and our run game. The run game controls the game. Oh and your post embarrasses me since my name is Cameron also. I really hope nobody I know thinks its me

Reactions: 4 people
Name me a championship team in the past 10 years that doesn't run the ball well. 05 Texas, 06 FL, 07 LSU, 08 FL, 09 AL, 10 AU, 11 AL, 12, AL, 13 FSU. Running the ball well opens up the play action pass. As well as controlling the clock. Not to mention late in a game a strong running game pays dividends. Look how AL's DL got slaughtered late in the game with OSU.

Running the football. it seems like I've seen hundreds of comments and threads about how we have to pound the Rock every game and how all we have to do is run on this team or that team to win and saying things like if we could run every down to win I would. What about all these sick athletes we have at WR? And Dobbs can throw! we need to have a 50 50 balanced attack or maybe even close to 55 45 pass run with these WR we have. If we can get a balanced attack going it could be top 3 in the SEC for sure and it would do nothing but HELP the Oline!

Agree, run pass balance is essential....who has said otherwise? However, we got 2 NFL caliber stud RBs in the backfield this year....seems like a pretty good idea to let them work a little bit. Can't do anything but help Dobbs be more efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

A solid run game moves the chains and keeps the defense rested and increases your time of possession. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. Establishing the run also enables you to run the play action more effectively, thus making your offense more versatile. If your defense is gassed in the second half of games because they've been on the field so long because of all your 3 and outs offensively in the first half, that's very bad news.

Is this really that complicated??

Got to be able to run it in the second half for sure. This is when you can gash the defense for big chunks of yardage when they get tired and salt the game away. A big back like Jalen Hurd is perfect for this. Just give him the ball and let him make the defense pay. If they don't stay on their toes then he could take one to the house.

You obviously do not understand John Nash's Game Theory.

Passing the football. It seems like I've seen hundreds of comment and threads about how we need to throw the Rock every game and how all we have to do is throw on this team or that team to win every down to win I would.

wut????

We have some great WRs on paper, but they have not yet done it on the field. It could be the fault of the OL, injuries or our inaccurate QB (Dobbs last year), but it hasn't happened yet.

Dobbs consistently over threw and threw behind receivers last year.

I think there is an excellent chance next season to greatly improve WR, OL and QB performances. I hope another year's experience, time in the weight room,injuries healing and good coaching will yield results, but it remains to be seen.

In the mean time, I just want to do what it takes to win. You might personally like to see the "fun and gun" wide open game, but that may or may not win games. Just win baby win.

It's a chicken and the egg thing OP. Remember what Lombardi said?

You don't beat the great teams "pounding the rock". Great teams can stuff the run unless you make them defend the pass. Balanced offense works best.

We are not Arkansas or Alabama we are Tennessee we have a history of having great Recievers and quarterbacks. Pounding the rock and controlling the clock is not our style but has told you that before. We have a physical offense but he wants to get as many snaps on offense as possible and wants to throw the football around a little also

You must be a younger guy, cause we won with running the ball and defense in the 80s and 90s. WR U cane from wideouts success in the NFL, cause we have almost always been a 50/50 run pass team with a slight lean toward running most years. We won championships with defense not offense. Go back and look at the replay of the BCS Championship game against Florida State, oh we made a big play or two but it was defense that won that game.

My answer to this is "UP THE MIDDLE JOHNNY!"

I don't know where you came up with this, but just about any championship team has to do both on offense. UT has had some fabulous offenses in the past and quite a few excellent RB's. You need both aspects to keep good defenses guessing. If you are one dimensional and just pass only, you WILL NOT win very many games. You either pass to setup the run or run to setup the pass. UT neds both to be successful.

The great UT victories tend to have a superb running game.

Example: Travis Henry in the Stumble and Fumble Arky game. HE is why we went down the field and got a TD.

Running is the basis of an offense. It's the safest way to move the ball and makes passing the ball a LOT easier. Short passes work too, but again a riskier option.

If we could have run the ball last year, we would have done a lot better.

In fact, once we started running the ball with Dobbs under center, we started winning!

PhijPZB.gif

VN Store

Back