Did Anyone Else Read...

I remember reading that UT still made a small profit. So what is the complaint. (Not going to subscribe) We had a good time and beat Iowa!

Reactions: 10 people
That ridiculous story in today's News Sentinel about the money spent on the TaxSlayer Bowl? They are trying to create a scandal where none exist. You would think Vol football was some D-II program going to some no name away game. Really offensive! How UT spent $1.25M for one game - GoVolsXtra Story

I didn't read it as them trying to create a scandal at all, just giving readers an "inside" look at what it takes/costs to take a football team on the road for an entire week.

They said several times in the story how UT spent less than peer schools on the trip and turned a profit.

I actually really enjoyed the article, found it very interesting all they they have to do/move to go on the road that long.

Reactions: 1 person
Subscribe and we'll tell you why we suck! Who could turn down a pitch like that?

Reactions: 3 people
The KNS has had a hard on for CBJ because John does not get the exclusives he once had back in the day, so, their way of getting back is to print an article that has negative over tones against the UT Football program. I guess this pretty much burns any bridges they had left. KNS vs. UT...........I will take Hart and Jones any day of the week.

Go Vols!!

Spent about $1,000 to ship two of the player's luggage back to Knoxville because they forgot them and a piece of AV equipment that the staff left behind.

Also paid for a rental car or two that was rented by staff expecting to be going to the Liberty or Music City Bowl.

Paid for a bunch of spouses to take the trip. Didn't say whether or not the employees reimbursed those costs to UT or, if not, whether it was or will be added to the AD employees' W-2s.

Last edited:
That ridiculous story in today's News Sentinel about the money spent on the TaxSlayer Bowl? They are trying to create a scandal where none exist. You would think Vol football was some D-II program going to some no name away game. Really offensive! How UT spent $1.25M for one game - GoVolsXtra Story

If you get this worked up over an article like this, I'd hate to see what you do when something REALLY offensive comes up. You're just digging for something to ***** about.

Reactions: 3 people
As an alum who now lives in another SEC town, I can tell you it's amazing how the Knoxville media tried to uncover every dead body around the program compared to here and other SEC cities. We have had so many guys get in trouble and the media never catches wind of it or doesn't care to report it. It's night and day between K-Town and here.

Spent about $1,000 to ship two of the player's luggage back to Knoxville because they forgot them and a piece of AV equipment that the staff left behind.

Also paid for a rental car or two that was rented by staff expecting to be going to the Liberty or Music City Bowl.

Paid for a bunch of spouses to take the trip. Didn't say whether or not the employees reimbursed those costs to UT or, if not, whether it was or will be added to the AD employees' W-2s.

I'd say that happens everywhere all the time!!!

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't read it as them trying to create a scandal at all, just giving readers an "inside" look at what it takes/costs to take a football team on the road for an entire week.

They said several times in the story how UT spent less than peer schools on the trip and turned a profit.

I actually really enjoyed the article, found it very interesting all they they have to do/move to go on the road that long.

Thanks DeerPark for giving the real lowdown! Gave you a like for it!

They weren't trying to cause a scandal or anything else. They were simply reporting on the high cost of going to a bowl game. The article was interesting but the supporting documents were even better. I thought it was great the the team ran up $10K in what appeared to be ppv movies in the hotel.

I took it as information for readers who might be curious. The cost of playing in a bowl game shows you why some teams pass it up.

I read this as a pretty interesting, positive article. Maybe some people should stop looking for anterior motives behind EVERYTHING.

I took it as information for readers who might be curious. The cost of playing in a bowl game shows you why some teams pass it up.

Shows the real genius of Derek Dooley. That dude saved us over $2 M-I-L-L-I-O-N in the last two seasons by not going to those expensive games. Even the one he was pressured into, he kept close to home and saved hundreds of thousands on for us. Financially ahead of his time IMO! :birgits_giggle:

On a separate note. Anyone caught posting KN$ articles here should be billed the yearly cost of that rag.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back