Favorite Tennessee quarterback not named Peyton?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
After seeing Peyton on Letterman this week, and likely because of the lack of any real football, I was thinking about all of the great Tennessee quarterbacks I've watched play during my lifetime.

My question is: Who is your favorite quarterback NOT named Peyton Manning? Why are they your favorite? And what is your fondest memory of said quarterback?

I'm certain we'll get a lot of Tee Martin votes, but I didn't want to exclude him from the discussion.

Our younger members may not have as many choices, obviously, but our older guys---I'm anxious to read what you all come up with, and the reasons why.

I hope everyone is having a great Friday!

(And for those interested, don't forget to watch the Lady Vols softball team in the Super Regional today at 4:00. Game thread is in the Lady Vols forum.)

Casey Clausen, hands down. Dude was just a winner, and he laid it all out there. 14-1 career record on the road. 2-0 vs UF in the Swamp. 3-1 vs Bama.

Reactions: 14 people
I gotta go with Tee. I was born in 87 so I only have (as far as winning QBs go) Ainge, Tee and Clausen to choose from. Was too young to remember Heath.

Reactions: 1 person
Tony......

Whenever I think of Tony Robinson, I think of '85 Auburn.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f22w1tUczUQ[/youtube]

Casey Clausen, hands down. Dude was just a winner, and he laid it all out there. 14-1 career record on the road. 2-0 vs UF in the Swamp. 3-1 vs Bama.

I was about to post his 14-1 road record. Remember the lone loss?

His overall record was pretty good, too. He was 34-10.

Shuler. 2nd best in school history

What's your favorite Shuler memory?

Reactions: 2 people
Man, so many great ones to choose from. Condredge, Heath, Tee, Casey, and (currently) Josh stand out the most, for me, though there are other worthies as well. I'm gonna go with:

Sheer fun to watch: Condredge.
Workmanlike determination and flat-out results, gettin' er done: Tee.
Eye-popping arm skill: Casey.

At the end of the day, Tee led the team to the pinnacle, so gotta go with him.

Fondest memory of Tee? Have to pick two, can't just narrow it down to one:

(1) South Carolina game, NCAA record for pass completions in a row, with 24 or 26, something like that. Throw after throw after throw, he was just on, that game. If I remember correctly, we had the benefit of knowing that he was nearing the record, thanks to a very good coverage crew, I think CBS. Was really a thrill to watch. He was flat on, that day.

(2) Championship game against FSU, those two throws down the sideline to a sprinting Peerless Price, both caught in stride. Big huge grin on our faces each time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Either Casey Clausen or Heath Shuler. I'm 29, and Heath was really the first QB I remember. I had his jersey (my first) and admired him a lot.

Casey bc that dude came to win football games. That picture of him leading the band at Florida, priceless.

After seeing Peyton on Letterman this week, and likely because of the lack of any real football, I was thinking about all of the great Tennessee quarterbacks I've watched play during my lifetime.

My question is: Who is your favorite quarterback NOT named Peyton Manning? Why are they your favorite? And what is your fondest memory of said quarterback?

I'm certain we'll get a lot of Tee Martin votes, but I didn't want to exclude him from the discussion.

Our younger members may not have as many choices, obviously, but our older guys---I'm anxious to read what you all come up with, and the reasons why.

I hope everyone is having a great Friday!

(And for those interested, don't forget to watch the Lady Vols softball team in the Super Regional today at 4:00. Game thread is in the Lady Vols forum.)

I also noticed where Peyton was on Letterman in 97, first show for Letterman on CBS and they called him a lock on winning the Heisman.... Jinxed by Letterman.

Oh, and my favs are Tony Robinson and The Iceman Casey Clausen.

Last edited:
Favorite would have to be Tee after Peyton.

But I'll also toss in a lone vote for Worley. He may not have been the best QB we've ever fielded, but he was one of the toughest. That kid took more hits than Mike Tyson's opponents and kept coming back.

I wasn't alive when Condrege played, but the guy is a true VFL and is a tremendous rep for Tennessee. We've had a number of great quarterbacks, but that is what stands out to me.

When I think of Casey, one of the games that always pops into my mind is the 2001 Citrus Bowl rout of Michigan.

Same here. I'm in the heart of big ten country and surrounded by idiots so I'm always happy to see the Vols clean someone's clock from this neck of the woods.

I'd pick Clausen as my favorite UT QB regardless if I could pick Peyton.

Though, I do love that Peyton still helps out the program and enjoys being around. His presence alone helps with recruiting and putting Tennessee in the spotlight. But, he did beat the Titans a lot, so...

TopGun_044Pyxurz.jpg

Either Casey Clausen or Heath Shuler. I'm 29, and Heath was really the first QB I remember. I had his jersey (my first) and admired him a lot.

Casey bc that dude came to win football games. That picture of him leading the band at Florida, priceless.

03%20FL%20Clausen%20Band.jpg

Favorite would have to be Tee after Peyton.

But I'll also toss in a lone vote for Worley. He may not have been the best QB we've ever fielded, but he was one of the toughest. That kid took more hits than Mike Tyson's opponents and kept coming back.

Way to go contrarian, GV. I honestly didn't expect to see a vote for Worley. Nice.

Good ol east Tn boy, Andy Kelly.

Ah, from Rhea County. Good record, 24-5-2 as a starter. He's definitely one I thought of when cycling through the quarterbacks in my mind.

What's your best memory of him?

I have a couple that come to mind. Unfortunately, one is the game against #1 Notre Dame where he played magnificently, but fell just short when he threw a heartbreaking interception near the goal line.

The other I think of is the game against Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

He was playing before I was going, but I'm a fan of the Swamp Rat.

If Single Wing Tailbacks count, Johnny Majors.

I wish the teams were better, Jimmy Streater was a really good run/pass threat. Streater and Shuler were maybe the two best combo QBs we've ever had.

Andy Kelly is a lot like Casey... not flashy, just won a lot.

I wasn't alive when Condrege played, but the guy is a true VFL and is a tremendous rep for Tennessee. We've had a number of great quarterbacks, but that is what stands out to me.

Can't go wrong with Holloway, but he was a bit before my time as well.

I started watching football in the Andy Kelly era. My favorite qb aside from Peyton is probably Heath. The offense he led in '93 was ridiculous. It was fun to see him develop from '92 to '93 as well since he was more of a scrambler as a sophomore and turned into more of a pocket passer his junior year. While he didn't make it in the NFL starting a political career isn't a bad way to rep the university either.

He was playing before I was going, but I'm a fan of the Swamp Rat.

If Single Wing Tailbacks count, Johnny Majors.

I wish the teams were better, Jimmy Streater was a really good run/pass threat. Streater and Shuler were maybe the two best combo QBs we've ever had.

Andy Kelly is a lot like Casey... not flashy, just won a lot.

I was waiting for a Streater reference.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCvUK-dEUdQ[/youtube]

VN Store

Back