How could Dooley be so bad?

Pacer92

Youneverknow
I have followed UT football for better than 30 years and the 3 years that Derek Dooley was the head coach was by far the biggest cluster in program history, IMO.

Granted the program wasn't in elite shape when he took over, but if anything, UT still had name recognition if nothing else, after a great 15 yr run followed by a few years of mediocrity with Fulmer and one year with Kiffin( granted he kept the brand in the limelight if nothing else.)

How does a perennial SEC power house get to the depths Dooley took us?

My question is this...with the current coaching staff and roster, could Dooley return us to prominence, or would he **** this up too?

My question is this...with the current coaching staff and roster, could Dooley return us to prominence, or would he **** this up too?

I am a big believer in leadership. I mean, really big believer. I think the climate, tone and direction set by the leader of an organization is the second-biggest factor in the organization's success or failure, behind only the level of talent of the team's membership.

Given that, I think Dooley could absolutely and unequivocably screw the pooch just as badly today as he did in the three long years he was in Knoxville. Given his weak and divisive leadership style, he'd have Azzanni quitting, Jancek and Dooley in a fist fight, and all the players giving up within a few months of his arrival. This hand and arm signal :loco: , which I hate because of Dooley (and Bray), would be common again among our players.

That saying about wet dreams? That was first written about Derek Dooley, I feel certain.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes Dooley had serious leadership problems. He didn't recruit well if at all, and when he did nobody wanted to work or play for him.

In 20 years of watching all forms of sports I have never ever seen a team give up the way Dooley's teams did. I don't even see that in my son's AYSO soccer league.

The worst part of the situation with Dooley, he damaged the program's reputation, hurt alumni relationships, coaching relationships, didn't produce results on the field or off. He is probably one of the worst coaching hires of all time. BUT the absolute worst part of all this

We are still paying him to be one of the worst F UP coaches ever until 09/2016

Reactions: 7 people
I have followed UT football for better than 30 years and the 3 years that Derek Dooley was the head coach was by far the biggest cluster in program history, IMO.

Granted the program wasn't in elite shape when he took over, but if anything, UT still had name recognition if nothing else, after a great 15 yr run followed by a few years of mediocrity with Fulmer and one year with Kiffin( granted he kept the brand in the limelight if nothing else.)

Saw this somewhere and it may explain:
"Better to be a pack of jackasses lead by a lion, than, a pack of lions lead by a jackass"

Reactions: 11 people

Fuad? 😜

Reactions: 2 people

How does a team go from dominance to ****? I dunno, ask Vanderbilt

Oh-I-dont-believe-in-holding-grudges-resizecrop--.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
I try to forget the past. I hate when the past is 'exposed' to me out of the blue. I love the positives of the future of the Vols. Lets worry about "Sweet Home Alabama" being played during our practice instead of what once was.

Reactions: 1 person
Uh ohhhhhh...... this won't go over well.

For what it's worth I kind of think this is that case too. In 2012 if we have Wilcox instead of Sal we probably win 10 games.

I'm just curious as how we lose to a UK team without a QB.....without Sal?!

Attitude reflects leadership.

S#!((y leadership reflects S#!((y attitude...and our team's attitude at that time was S#!((y with a capital S !!!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm just curious as how we lose to a UK team without a QB.....without Sal?!

I've always blamed our offense for that game more than our defense. Our offense had gone to crap at that point. Kentucky could have had Oprah at QB and still won, if you can only score 7 points against KY you don't deserve to win.

Dooley was a bad hire, but in his defense, when he started his first fall camp the program had lost 48 scholly players since the day Fulmer was fired. That gutted the
program, and Kiffin's signing class was a friggin disaster. Dooley couldn't communicate with the players, nobody had any respect for him, and he completely failed on the
recruiting trail. The cupboard was basically bare for a 5 year period, and he did nothing to correct that. Dooley was just a pencil pusher, thats bottom line.

Reactions: 2 people
He sucked. That's about as far as the conversation needs to go.

You know what?!? You're exactly right! How UT could hire such an incompetent coach is beyond me.

I know Butch has had to completely overhaul the program....win big or not, Butch has my respect thru and thru!

Do you mean in overtime? Not even in overtime!

You know what?!? You're exactly right! How UT could hire such an incompetent coach is beyond me.

I know Butch has had to completely overhaul the program....win big or not, Butch has my respect thru and thru!

Opinions vary, but I believe he was hired because he was essentially the anti-Kiffin (Southern, conservative appearance, safe) and of course his last name.

Opinions vary, but I believe he was hired because he was essentially the anti-Kiffin (Southern, conservative appearance, safe) and of course his last name.

Agreed! The Neg had run it's course on the hill. It was safe, albeit prejudiced bc of last name. Did Hamilton even have a choice?!! I doubt it..

VN Store

Back