A Gift of Respect

Great story. And that 2005 Tennessee vs LSU game he referred to was one of the more memorable games in recent history, in my opinion.

Thanks for posting OP.

I get it. I toured. You hold on to home however you can. Watching Tennessee play LSU in the SEC title game was probably the best day of my deployment. Sure we lost. But for 3 hours, we felt like we were home and not in a terrible nightmare of a place.

Reactions: 3 people
The Vietnam war is something I would just as soon forget, but unfortunately it is still all too real. I remember getting newspapers from home and rushing to the sports page to see how my beloved Vols had done since the last time I received mail. I would read the account of the game over and over until I had it memorized. I could almost picture every touchdown as if I had been in Neyland myself on that day. It really helped get me through time. I have been to many games since then, and they are all special.

Reactions: 12 people
Great story! I was fortunate to come home Sept 2005 from the Middle East. It is not easy being over there. Especially being away from your loved ones.

Reactions: 1 person
Great story. And that 2005 Tennessee vs LSU game he referred to was one of the more memorable games in recent history, in my opinion.

Thanks for posting OP.

I agree, loved that game.

Thanks for posting OP.

The one bright spot in 05.

Sad that finished gets over looked by the season long out come.

That's just so awesome it's beyond words.

I wish buTch and our Vols could do some things for all our Vets that love Tennessee and our Vols so much.

Semper Fi!

God bless America and our great Volunteers!

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
The Vietnam war is something I would just as soon forget, but unfortunately it is still all too real. I remember getting newspapers from home and rushing to the sports page to see how my beloved Vols had done since the last time I received mail. I would read the account of the game over and over until I had it memorized. I could almost picture every touchdown as if I had been in Neyland myself on that day. It really helped get me through time. I have been to many games since then, and they are all special.

The only thing that kept me from being drafted was that I was a teacher and that was a deferment...You and all of the others who "took my place" will never know how grateful I am for you and how ashamed I was/am of all those who "spat on" you guys when you came home...Fortunately, our citizens attempted to make amends, but that really was too late for many...Thanks, my friend....

VN Store

Back