UT a Top 5 SEC defense in 2015?

OrangeCavalry

Some have us in, some have us out. Just asking your thoughts. I joined a few years back (2011 I think). So, yes, this is my first thread and I don't know how to post links. So please forgive me. Just something to discuss...I hope.

Reactions: 5 people
Some have us in, some have us out. Just asking your thoughts. I joined a few years back (2011 I think). So, yes, this is my first thread and I don't know how to post links. So please forgive me. Just something to discuss...I hope.

That's a long time to wait to start your first thread. You're gonna have to step it up. :)

Anyone know statistically where we finished last year? I assume we're taking yards and or points allowed per game.

My only question on D is right up the gut.

Can we find a solid Mike and how will our interior D-line hold up this year? If those 2 areas don't hurt us, we can be pretty damn good on that side of the ball.

They will find the answer at Mike and the D-tackle rotation will make it tough up the middle. Top 3 D in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. We find what we need at Mike, and let the DLine and Secondary do what they do best. I'm not saying we win the SEC, but I think our D will be respected and feared in 2015.

With our stout secondary and the new look/strong d-line, I see us in the top 5 for sure. The only question mark is who will step up at MLB

Anyone know statistically where we finished last year? I assume we're taking yards and or points allowed per game.[/QUOTE]

SDS has us 8th in the SEC in total Defense, and 9th in Scoring Defense.

I think overall we finished in the 40's in total d rankings. Maybe the 30's but feel like 46ish sounds right. And to answer the op I don't think we finish top 5, top 20 sounds about right to me.

ESPN stats

Total defense: 7th in SEC, 32nd nationally
Points allowed: 9th in SEC, 40th nationally

Reactions: 4 people
My only question on D is right up the gut.

Can we find a solid Mike and how will our interior D-line hold up this year? If those 2 areas don't hurt us, we can be pretty damn good on that side of the ball.

The only thing the Mike LB is going to do is laugh as Shy and KMAC launch Offensive Linemen into the backfield.

Hopefully among the charred wreckage, Barnett an Maggitt can pick out the guy with the ball...unless they are buried under a guard or center.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we should finish top 5 in the SEC. Top 10 in the nation. Easy. This a talented Defense with size and speed and I cannot wait !

Reactions: 1 person
2 years ago Auburn and Missouri just tore us up in the running game. We were better last year but not by a huge amount. If we can't stop the run this year, the results will be what we have seen in the past few years. Top 5? No way. Still too many question marks and little depth in key spots. Injuries will happen too. Look at last year.

2 years ago Auburn and Missouri just tore us up in the running game. We were better last year but not by a huge amount. If we can't stop the run this year, the results will be what we have seen in the past few years. Top 5? No way. Still too many question marks and little depth in key spots. Injuries will happen too. Look at last year.

I don't think top 5 in the SEC is that outlandish

I think overall we finished in the 40's in total d rankings. Maybe the 30's but feel like 46ish sounds right. And to answer the op I don't think we finish top 5, top 20 sounds about right to me.

I'm asking Top 5 SEC...not nationally. I think we were around 35 (maybe around 40 as you say)nationally last year, so anything less than that this year would be huge disappointment.

Good chance if the offense can keep the ball some and let the D get some rest.

The best defense is a good offense.

Here's how we looked last year, along with the other SEC teams ahead of us nationally:

Nat'l Ranking by yards allowed -- Team
--------------------------------------------
4 - Florida (3,421 yards allowed)
8 - LSU (3,670)
12 - Ole Miss (3,854)
16 - Georgia (4,008)
20 - Alabama (4,061)
22 - Arkansas (4,145)
32 - Tennessee (4,319)

That's 28 positions nationally dividing the #1 SEC defense, Florida, from the #7 of the SEC, Tennessee. But we're not talking about huge differences between those two teams, or the other five SEC teams sandwiched between them: just under 75 yards per game difference from Florida to Tennessee.

We will undoubtedly be better this year: 8 starters back, 80% of the two-deep, all more experienced than last year, a year stronger and more experienced with the same coaching staff and schemes. New talent as good as any new Vols class in the past decade, and just about as good as any in the country.

Yep, top 5 in the SEC and top 15 nationally is a pretty safe bet. Top 3 in SEC and top 10 in the nation is possible.

Thanks, OP, for a nice topic. Good first one. :good!:

p.s. In another thread, we're talking about why Tennessee lost to a "terribad" Florida team last year. It wasn't in spite of their incompetent offense, though that's what we remember most clearly. it was because of their best-in-SEC defense (and some truly bad execution on our part, it must be admitted).

Last edited:
Here's how we looked last year, along with the other SEC teams ahead of us nationally:

8 - LSU (3,670)
12 - Ole Miss (3,854)
16 - Georgia (4,008)
20 - Alabama (4,061)
22 - Arkansas (4,145)
32 - Tennessee (4,319)

That's 28 positions nationally dividing the #1 SEC defense, Florida, from the #7 of the SEC, Tennessee. But we're not talking about huge differences between those two teams, or the other five SEC teams sandwiched between them: just under 75 yards per game difference from Florida to Tennessee.

We will undoubtedly be better this year: 8 starters back, 80% of the two-deep, all more experienced than last year, a year stronger and more experienced with the same coaching staff and schemes. New talent as good as any new Vols class in the past decade, and just about as good as any in the country.

Yep, top 5 in the SEC and top 15 nationally is a pretty safe bet. Top 3 in SEC and top 10 in the nation is possible.

Thanks, OP, for a nice topic. Good first one. :good!:

Thanks for the "Stats"! I think we've got it.

I'm asking Top 5 SEC...not nationally. I think we were around 35 (maybe around 40 as you say)nationally last year, so anything less than that this year would be huge disappointment.

My mistake, top 5 in SEC is certainly possible especially with as many questions as our opponents have on the offensive side. Someone posted the actual rankings of the defence too and they finished a little better than I remembered. Which is a good thing.lol regardless we made huge strides last year on that side of the ball.

They will find the answer at Mike and the D-tackle rotation will make it tough up the middle. Top 3 D in the SEC.
Absolutely. Mike's the only lingering question mark, but there's good talent to work with. Kirkland should be the man by mid-season, so let's hope either Bates or Bynum or Bryant can come to the forefront by September. Otherwise, Butch may need to temporarily plug Maggitt in there. Jakob Johnson should either pick it up or RS for this season. OLBs JRM, Bates (that's where he'll end up), McDowell, Elliott Berry, Quart'e Sapp (gonna' make his mark) and utility rushing phenom Chris Weatherd are going to smack a lot of ball carriers behind the LOS. There's too much talent and speed fighting for the nickle spot, so we've got the super fast athletes to cover anybody coming out of the slot. Safeties and corners are rock solid, as is the DL...tackles nearly as beastly as those edge assassins. There's no need to worry about depth on the DL. This is one of the fastest defenses in CFB. Top 3 in the SEC and top 15 in the nation. In any other conference this group would be no worse than 1st and 3rd.

8 - LSU (3,670)
12 - Ole Miss (3,854)
16 - Georgia (4,008)
20 - Alabama (4,061)
22 - Arkansas (4,145)
32 - Tennessee (4,319)

p.s. In another thread, we're talking about why Tennessee lost to a "terribad" Florida team last year. It wasn't in spite of their incompetent offense, though that's what we remember most clearly. it was because of their best-in-SEC defense (and some truly bad execution on our part, it must be admitted).

Didn't Florida play one less game?

VN Store

Back