Inside Jones' culture of caring

kamoshika

Almost every recruit who commits to UT says something like, "It just feels like family." This excellent piece -- which isn't as sappy as the title suggests -- tells how Coach Jones is inculcating this sense of family in his team.

It's abundantly clear that Jones is not your typical head football coach.

The list --- first started less than four months after Butch Jones was appointed on Dec. 7, 2012, to resuscitate the lagging University of Tennessee football program --- includes the obvious names.

Peyton Manning. Inky Johnson. Al Wilson. Phillip Fulmer.

All Volunteers icons; all among the nearly three dozen people in the intervening months Jones have invited to address his team in an effort to reshape the culture around and within the Tennessee program.

First, however, was the Christian rapper Lecrae, whose full name is Lecrae Devaughn Moore. He spoke to the Vols' team in March 2013 --- Jones' first invited guest.

"Well it's all about the personal development and growth and development of every player in your football program," Jones said. "Football is a very small part of it. But it's life after football. It's creating individuals who are going to be successful when their football careers are gone.

"It all goes hand-in-hand. You win in the classroom, you win in the community and you're going to win on the field. It all starts with winning in the locker room. It's the character education we talk about and implement; it's everyone's personal growth and development. That's why you coach. There's life after football. It's making every individual the best person they can possibly be because they were a part of Tennessee football."

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1766467

Reactions: 13 people
I'm sure Vic Wharton probably thought of it more like a bad foster home. Everything is warm and fuzzy at the start, then after the Dept of Human Services leaves, the screaming begins

Reactions: 18 people
I'm sure Vic Wharton probably thought of it more like a bad foster home. Everything is warm and fuzzy at the start, then after the Dept of Human Services leaves, the screaming begins

Lol- come on Fade that may be over the top even for you...

I'm sure it will get the response you're after though

Reactions: 1 person

"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden" by the great philosopher---Dollie Parton

Getting back to the positive message this thread began with, I thought it was great how Butch got our previous players involved and coming back around the university to again become part of the Vol family and community. Dooley may have started the VFL program but Butch personifies it.

Reactions: 7 people
Almost every recruit who commits to UT says something like, "It just feels like family." This excellent piece -- which isn't as sappy as the title suggests -- tells how Coach Jones is inculcating this sense of family in his team.

The list --- first started less than four months after Butch Jones was appointed on Dec. 7, 2012, to resuscitate the lagging University of Tennessee football program --- includes the obvious names.

All Volunteers icons; all among the nearly three dozen people in the intervening months Jones have invited to address his team in an effort to reshape the culture around and within the Tennessee program.

First, however, was the Christian rapper Lecrae, whose full name is Lecrae Devaughn Moore. He spoke to the Vols' team in March 2013 --- Jones' first invited guest.

"Well it's all about the personal development and growth and development of every player in your football program," Jones said. "Football is a very small part of it. But it's life after football. It's creating individuals who are going to be successful when their football careers are gone.

"It all goes hand-in-hand. You win in the classroom, you win in the community and you're going to win on the field. It all starts with winning in the locker room. It's the character education we talk about and implement; it's everyone's personal growth and development. That's why you coach. There's life after football. It's making every individual the best person they can possibly be because they were a part of Tennessee football."

:rock:

Butch is doing a great job he's only had a few players that didn't care to begin with. Expecting young men to achieve on and off the field benefits all involved and that's a reasonable expectation.

Butch is really building something special here at Tennessee. Saban days running the SEC is coming to an end. I was worried about recruiting when Butch was first hired. But man he can recruit his azz off. We are pulling in top 5 classes in the nation and have been down. Butch had to rebuild this whole roster. This defense we are building here is going to be awesome. I really believe Butch is building this team to make a run every year at a National Championship. With all these 4 and 5 star kids we are getting pretty soon the SEC will be looking up at the Big Orange. Karma is about to do a lot of paybacks.

Reactions: 4 people

I'd say the majority of us VNers appreciate your positive contributions with your thoughtful threads, kamo, and I'm sure Freak finds it a more pleasant task when he can place ones like yours on this fan-base blog. I've noticed, too, how recruits are drawn to UT (as you pointed out...notably often) due to the cohesive nature of everyone involved within this program. I'm supposing that players who're more inclined to "get away" with habits within their lifestyles they've figured in as perks with being a college football star are more inclined to sign on with programs that allow that sort of behavior. They don't fit in at UT. That's a positive culture versus a negative one and, noticing that the parents of these promising young men are impressed with the moral strengths Butch is emphasizing, Momma's goin' to send their boy to Coach Jones' school. I'd call that a winning culture.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back