Butch's was the Florida game.. As a fan.. lowest point supporting Vols?

LakeMaryFLVol

been seen jacked up on testosterone and moonshine
These came right to mind..

Alabama loss in 1990 9-6

The too many men on the field LSU and the KY loss and having to listen to statements about shower protocol during the Dooley era

Reactions: 2 people
Late Nov 2011-Jan 2012.

Dooley had just to Kentucky and Cuonzo looked like a garbage coach, losing to Oakland, College of Charleston, and Austin Peay. Plus two losses to Memphis.

The state of both programs looked abysmal.

Reactions: 3 people
Others:

Wyoming at home 10-7
Nebraska in the Fiesta 42-17 in 1997
2007 SEC title game to LSU on Ainge's pick
1996 to Memphis
Florida 52-20 in the swamp to Tebow

Reactions: 1 person
vs. Alabama in 2009. That one took days to get over. I will always remember Daniel Lincoln's name because of that game. Alabama went on to go 14-0 and win the national championship. Thanks Lincoln!

That Kentucky loss. I'm from there, and it sucked hearing all my family and friends bragging.

That ridiculous punt return in which we missed 12 or so tackles in the blowout loss to Arkansas in 2011. That play just summed up the Dooley era.

The 31-0 loss to Florida in 1994 was also pretty bad.

Reactions: 9 people
A 10-9 loss to a Kentucky team playing a WR at QB ending a 2 and a half decade streak over them sucked pretty bad

For me, the lowest points (emotionally) are losses when UT had something to play for. So the 1990 Bama and 2001 SECCG's are probably the worst for me. 1992 Arky was another bad loss because UT was ranked #4 at the time. 1999 Arky was another one because UT had climbed back to #2 in the BCS poll.

The Wyoming and UK losses aren't that big to me (emotionally) because UT wasn't really playing for anything...except a bowl bid. Those were more SMDH losses.

That ridiculous punt return in which we missed 12 or so tackles in the blowout loss to Arkansas in 2011. That play just summed up the Dooley era.

That was the moment I accepted that we had truly dropped a tier and might never return to what we once were. Glad it's looking like I was wrong, and glad I can't remember any of that game! :toast:

Last edited:
So many games to choose from over the last several years...a lot of good nominees listed here. Maybe I missed it, but has anybody mentioned the 41-18 beatdown at the hands of lowly vanderbilt in 2012?

A 10-9 loss to a Kentucky team playing a WR at QB ending a 2 and a half decade streak over them sucked pretty bad

Bowl eligibility was on the line as well. My dad and I drove back to NC after the game. That was the longest drive ever.

Roaming vol nailed it. Loss to LSU (Saban) in SEC championship game. Took us out of national championship game. Had lead and in driver's seat.

I had to read this thread title like 4 times before I understood what it was asking.

Anyways 2014 Florida was my lowest point as well.

The 13 men on the field against LSU and the 01 SEC game against LSU.

Not a loss, but letting Alabama come back and tie us in 93 was bad too. Felt like a loss.

In retrospect, I can't get mad about any losses that occurred during the late-Fulmer/Kiffin/Dooley era. Because who knows who would be our current coach if we would've won a few extra games then and had any of those coaches a little longer than we did. I'm happy where we are right now with Butch.

That being said, either 01 to LSU or the 04 shellacking at home against Auburn. We were undefeated and didn't lose another game that year until Ainge got hurt against Notre Dame.

The 96 Memphis game was the worst game I've ever seen. I believe ut was 6-1 going into the game. CPF was HC, the only loss being to UF, and Manning was a jr. That was a good team, there was no excuse for losing that game. The Wyoming game was bad, but that team gave up weeks ago, and the rest: UK, last season uf, and vandy were half way justifiable. Terrible HC(Dooley) and Coming out of the worst stretch in college football history, is understandable. But that Memphis game still bothers me today, fulmer really squandered a couple of extra NCs away.
A close second is the Lsu sec championship loss. We went from beating uf in the swamp to losing to a really bad lsu team.

Roaming vol nailed it. Loss to LSU (Saban) in SEC championship game. Took us out of national championship game. Had lead and in driver's seat.

That bs catch Florida had a decade ago. I was young but my dad getting really mad still sticks out. It was a sad week.

Agree. In the grand scheme, wins versus UK are not a big deal and it's not like that has ever been a real rivalry. But that game was an absolute slap to the face of the program and a wake up to most of the fans as to just how far we had fallen.

VN Store

Back