Ralph David Abernathy IV (Our Return Man)

Aaron2406

I have yet to see a thread on this guy. I think he is a big time play maker. I would look for him to handle punt/kickoff returns almost exclusively. He has amazing quickness and is legit threat to take it to the house everytime he catches the ball. Reminds me of Brandon James. Youtube him, you'll see what I mean. :loco::rock:

Former UC football player Abernathy joining Tennessee

Reactions: 8 people
I have yet to see a thread on this guy. I think he is a big time play maker. I would look for him to handle punt/kickoff returns almost exclusively. He has amazing quickness and is legit threat to take it to the house everytime he catches the ball. Reminds me of Brandon James. Youtube him, you'll see what I mean. :loco::rock:

Evan averaged 31 yds per kick return last year....RDV won't handed that position IMHO, he'll to win it from a bigger, stronger and likely faster athlete imo.

Reactions: 9 people

We need to give this guy some likes. Got you started!

In addition to speed, RDAIV brings much-needed depth. Berry needs a back-up and it's so risky to have Sutton back there. I'm sure we'll use all three and possibly try a fourth.

Reactions: 2 people
with our lack of depth at the RB position, I think he'll get quite a few carries.

Reactions: 1 person
Abernathy is a very good kick returner when healthy, even though his stats went in the wrong direction while at Cincinnati. Still, he averaged a solid 25.1 yards per KR w/ 1 TD (freshman year). About 1 of every 12 returns went for 40+ yards.

He'll add to our depth but I think we already have 2-3 guys who can do as well, if not better, than RDA. Injuries are a concern w/ him also: he played sparingly as a HS senior due to a high ankle sprain and he missed last season because of heel spurs & a lingering hamstring problem.

RDA is a super young man by all accounts; would love to see him stay healthy and help us out.

[YOUTUBE]MdalsN2MWOU[/YOUTUBE]

Return highlights at 1:32...

Nevermind... Fail from mobile. Here's the link:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MdalsN2MWOU

Last edited:

Abernathy only averaged 21.9 yards per kick return in 2013 and thats playing against much weaker competition then Berry faced. Abernathy has never returned punts in college so why would you think he will automatically be our punt returner? Brandon James? Yeah they are both short. Abernathy will help as a slot receiver though. Justin Martin otoh may be a future star at returning kicks and at cornerback of course. May be 2016 before he shows out but he has skills.

Last edited:
Abernathy is a very good kick returner when healthy, even though his stats went in the wrong direction while at Cincinnati. Still, he averaged a solid 25.1 yards per KR w/ 1 TD (freshman year). About 1 of every 12 returns went for 40+ yards.

He'll add to our depth but I think we already have 2-3 guys who can do as well, if not better, than RDA. Injuries are a concern w/ him also: he played sparingly as a HS senior due to a high ankle sprain and he missed last season because of heel spurs & a lingering hamstring problem.

RDA is a super young man by all accounts; would love to see him stay healthy and help us out.

His stats going down coincided with the new rule moving kickoffs up from the 30 to the 35. Good person yes elite kick returner no. Will give us quality depth in the slot though and hopefully return some kicks in blowouts when Berry isnt needed.

Last edited:
I dunno maybe I did jump the gun a bit, but he looks to have that burst, I am just excited to watch the guy play. :dance2:

Abernathy only averaged 21.9 yards per kick return in 2013 and thats playing against much weaker competition then Berry faced. Abernathy has never returned punts in college so why would you think he will automatically be our punt returner? Brandon James? Yeah they are both short. Abernathy will help as a slot receiver though. Justin Martin otoh may be a future star at returning kicks and at cornerback of course. May be 2016 before he shows out but he has skills.

I love a good, factual, reality check.

Is RDA going to be on scholarship? If so, what is the difference between him and Golson? It is my understanding that there is a rule that prevents Golson from transferring into the SEC after graduating. If that is true, then why hasnt that been brought up for RDA?

I'm obviously missing something somewhere or im wrong about certain details, so thanks for the help fellas

Very famous family.
I guess his great-grandfather was Martin Luther King Jr's best friend through th civil rights movement.

Is RDA going to be on scholarship? If so, what is the difference between him and Golson? It is my understanding that there is a rule that prevents Golson from transferring into the SEC after graduating. If that is true, then why hasnt that been brought up for RDA?

I'm obviously missing something somewhere or im wrong about certain details, so thanks for the help fellas

Golson was suspended for a year at OSU for academic impropriety which could possibly block his transfer to an SEC school.

Correction: Notre Dame ......

Last edited:
I read the part of the post title in parentheses and I was like, "our return, man." And I was like, "Whoa, far out. That's so cool, man. We are gonna win the east, man."

But then I figured out the this thread was about RDA IV and it harshed my buzz.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back