UK's Ckeckerboard Endzones

very very original

Why don't they just paint the entire field blue as well.

Reactions: 3 people
New field design now gives Kentucky Checkerboard end zones. Even though they messed up the design by putting a white "Kentucky" across it, it still makes you wonder why nobody in their office would say no to the idea because it makes them look unoriginal. I do wish we would get synthetic grass in Neyland though!

The New CWS Field Design Revealed - Kentucky Wildcats Official Athletic Site

Not a joke? Why would they copy cat their next state rival? Why not do something original instead of derivative? What do the KY fans on this site think of it?

You'd think that since they've never won a game against a team with checkerboard end zones on they're field , UK would want to try something different

Reactions: 1 person
Meh...It's not too bad. If it were blue and white, I would have more of an issue with it. I actually had to do a double take to notice the checkers.

Reactions: 10 people
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. Stoops also used the sleeping giant quote soon after cbj said it too, if I remember correctly. Wonder if UT comes out with anything to say about it like the WRU thing with Clemson.

Got curious and did some looking around. Evidently some Kentucky fans believe they were using the checkerboards 30 years before us. Pretty sure that's wrong but don't have the time to look it up.

Doug Dickey originated checkerboard endzones at UT in 1963. We were the first.

Fresno State starting using them several years ago, too.

Reactions: 1 person
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I suppose. Stoops also used the sleeping giant quote soon after cbj said it too, if I remember correctly. Wonder if UT comes out with anything to say about it like the WRU thing with Clemson.

Because before Jones said that no one had ever used that phrase before, right? :thud:

I'm kinda meh on it. It looks fine, with the different shades. Obviously to anyone with knowledge of UT, it's definitely a bit of a copycat move. But I like it, not afraid to take something that recognizable and translate it onto CWS. UK knows its place, but glad they weren't scared to copy a program like UT. Better than doing something really stupid like changing the field color. But hey, it's UK football, so not sure why people expect revolutionary design. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back