Interesting tidbits you've picked up from people close to the program

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I figured this might be a fun offseason thread. Does anyone have any stories they've heard from former/current players/staff around the program? This isn't for "I saw this player at a restaurant" or "This coach said hi to me" kind of stuff, I'm talking like inside stuff behind the scenes. Oh and let's keep it classy folks, no stories that slander or belittle the character of anyone.

I'll start off.....

A buddy of mine was a scout team QB during the Dooley era. He actually transferred after Dooley's second year, but got back on the team for his senior year (Butch's first year). He definitely had some interesting stories.

One of his worst is a Dooley story. Apparently late in the season one day, the QB's were having a meeting and one of the coaches was going over a certain play. He had it drawn up on the board and Dooley walked in the room. Dooley looked at the board with a puzzled look on his face, then stood there for a minute, then said "Why are we going over this? We don't even run this play." Apparently there was an awkward silence in the room until one of the players finally said "Coach.... we've been running this play all year long."

Another one, after the 2012 Vandy blowout, needless to say I was pretty upset. I was talking to my Scout Team buddy about how awful the game was. He wasn't back on the team yet, but he was still pretty close to the players (I always saw him and Rajion texting back and forth). Anyways we were talking about the game and he said "Yeah I actually talked to Tyler (Bray) when they were on their way to Nashville. I asked him how he felt about Vandy. He pretty much laughed and said 'We're going to get our @$$ kicked by Vandy'. I asked him why he thought that and told me everyone is pretty much just done at this point. They just want the season to be over."

For what it's worth, my buddy couldn't say enough good things about Butch. He said his one year under Butch was the most fun he had in his college football career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 people
I figured this might be a fun offseason thread. Does anyone have any stories they've heard from former/current players/staff around the program? This isn't for "I saw this player at a restaurant" or "This coach said hi to me" kind of stuff, I'm talking like inside stuff behind the scenes. Oh and let's keep it classy folks, no stories that slander or belittle the character of anyone.

I'll start off.....

A buddy of mine was a scout team QB during the Dooley era. He actually transferred after Dooley's second year, but got back on the team for his senior year (Butch's first year). He definitely had some interesting stories.

One of his worst is a Dooley story. Apparently late in the season one day, the QB's were having a meeting and one of the coaches was going over a certain play. He had it drawn up on the board and Dooley walked in the room. Dooley looked at the board with a puzzled look on his face, then stood there for a minute, then said "Why are we going over this? We don't even run this play." Apparently there was an awkward silence in the room until one of the players finally said "Coach.... we've been running this play all year long."

Another one, after the 2012 Vandy blowout, needless to say I was pretty upset. I was talking to my Scout Team buddy about how awful the game was. He wasn't back on the team yet, but he was still pretty close to the players (I always saw him and Rajion texting back and forth). Anyways we were talking about the game and he said "Yeah I actually talked to Tyler (Bray) when they were on their way to Nashville. I asked him how he felt about Vandy. He pretty much laughed and said 'We're going to get our @$$ kicked by Vandy'. I asked him why he thought that and told me everyone is pretty much just done at this point. They just want the season to be over."

For what it's worth, my buddy couldn't say enough good things about Butch. He said his one year under Butch was the most fun he had in his college football career.

Yeah I like the line where Bray laughs about it. That's pretty sad. They still had the talent to beat Candy, but didn't try. Bray was just out there flinging the ball everywhere just trying to get off the field without getting hurt. That loss and the one to Kentucky was on the team as much as it was Dooley. Got beat by a wide receiver....:no:

Reactions: 8 people
Used to hang out with a guy that played during the Kiffin - Dooley years.

He couldn't talk about Dooley for long, because he would get so angry.

Reactions: 5 people
Yeah, I was at that Vandy game, to say it sucked is an understatement. Had a Vandy fan behind me that yelled "butt chuggers" the entire game, and threatened to fight a woman when she asked if he'd be quiet (he was in his 20's and she had to be in her 40's). They argued for a bit and he justified his actions by saying that he'd "been waiting his whole life for this". Then there were Vol fans that were leaving early, that were walking down the steps and being heckled and had cups and things thrown at them. I decided to leave as well and heard Vandy fans yelling "Where are you going? Why are you leaving?".

LOL, and that's just at little ol' Vandy, I couldn't imagine a game in Baton Rouge. God, I hope we beat the Commodorks 70-0 this season.

Reactions: 11 people
I heard someone close to the program say "soon". Not sure what it meant, but it gives me hope! :)

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, I was at that Vandy game, to say it sucked is an understatement. Had a Vandy fan behind me that yelled "butt chuggers" the entire game, and threatened to fight a woman when she asked if he'd be quiet (he was in his 20's and she had to be in her 40's). They argued for a bit and he justified his actions by saying that he'd "been waiting his whole life for this". Then there were Vol fans that were leaving early, that were walking down the steps and being heckled and had cups and things thrown at them. I decided to leave as well and heard Vandy fans yelling "Where are you going? Why are you leaving?".

LOL, and that's just at little ol' Vandy, I couldn't imagine a game in Baton Rouge. God, I hope we beat the Commodorks 70-0 this season.

I was at that debacle & also in Baton Rouge when we lost to LSU. NO comparison...Tiger fans were FUN & classy in their celebration,while vandie fans don't know how to win OR lose with class. :hi:

One of my friend's on the current scout team speaks on how Kerybson was the most arrogant player on the team in 2014. Another friend on the scout team has told me that he has never heard so much vulgar language than he has playing for CBJ. He went on to say that you don't get used to it, but as a player you have to decide if playing at UT in the SEC is something that you really want to do.

Baton rouge is one of the best places to go see the Vols IMHO. My mom is from there and I have lots of family there. I have been to games with and without family always wearing Orange and have always had people offer food drinks etc... and we always have fun. Tailgating starts on Weds! LSU fans are like playing Rugby you have some drinks together before, try to kill each other for 2.5 hours during, then go drinking with your enemies after the game. Vandy just sucks and the don't know how to win and lord knows they aren't good losers no matter how much practice they have had.

Just so I don't derail the thread.. I have a friend who is a VFL who played in the late 70s for Johnny. In his trips back to Knoxville and behind the scenes he said he always felt like a bother under Dooley but Butch invited him to sit in on OL pregame meetings, locker room access, etc... He is very excited about how Butch has and is changing the culture in Neyland and how he sees the respect for the past by telling the current players that these men (VFL) paved the way for their success but they have to work hard and seize it. He has some great stories about how those previous players have been included in the program, think the stories you have read about Peyton attending practices, addressing coaches and players, Friday Night meal with team etc... well Butch is doing the same thing with these guys that never saw the limelight of the NFL but gave their all for Tennessee.

Reactions: 9 people
One of my friend's on the current scout team speaks on how Kerybson was the most arrogant player on the team in 2014. Another friend on the scout team has told me that he has never heard so much vulgar language than he has playing for CBJ. He went on to say that you don't get used to it, but as a player you have to decide if playing at UT in the SEC is something that you really want to do.

Sure this guy doesn't play for Duke now? :birgits_giggle:

Reactions: 10 people
I was wearing my Vol cap in Florida a month ago. Someone at a gas station approached me asking if I am a Vol fan. I thought it was a Gator fan coming over to talk smack.
Turns out it was a coach from Georgia who worked a lot with Josh Dobbs. He spoke very very highly of Josh. Praised his athletic ability and his QB potential. The surprise was how he went on and on about Dobb's character and what an outstanding young man he is of the football field. Was the highlight of my trip.

Reactions: 16 people

Words hurt :cray:

I'll make a deal with Butch right now that if he will let me come play football for UT he can dog cuss me up and down the field every day.

Reactions: 9 people

At Parris Island Marine Recruits have 13 weeks of vulgar language and harassment. I know from personal experience. The last time I checked the Marines are a pretty good fighting force. I guess some just get their little fwwweelins hut. Or, they are looking for something to be offended about. GROW UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

At Parris Island Marine Recruits have 13 weeks of vulgar language and harassment. I know from personal experience. The last time I checked the Marines are a pretty good fighting force. I guess some just get their little fwwweelins hut. Or, they are looking for something to be offended about. GROW UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

I'm offended by this post.

Reactions: 4 people
There's no possible way Butch Jones' cursing is any worse than the majority of 18-22 year old guys in college. And anyone who supposedly uses that much vulgar language as part of their regular speech in private is not going to be able to sustain not doing it in public. In other words, if he was really given to that much cursing, you'd also hear him let it slip on the press podium or in interviews. I think it's being way overblown.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm also offended by that post.

Each of your posts were equally offensive to the "Internet Council of Political Correctness - Division of Improper Language."

You will be fined 100 Likes each, and official statements of apology are expected to be tweeted immediately.

Shame on you for offending someone.

There's no possible way Butch Jones' cursing is any worse than the majority of 18-22 year old guys in college. And anyone who supposedly uses that much vulgar language as part of their regular speech in private is not going to be able to sustain not doing it in public. In other words, if he was really given to that much cursing, you'd also hear him let it slip on the press podium or in interviews. I think it's being way overblown.

I'm also a former marine and cuss quite frequently around my co-workers but I never do so in front of the home-owners that we're working for. It's very possible to control yourself in situations where its necessary

Reactions: 2 people
I was wearing my Vol cap in Florida a month ago. Someone at a gas station approached me asking if I am a Vol fan. I thought it was a Gator fan coming over to talk smack.
Turns out it was a coach from Georgia who worked a lot with Josh Dobbs. He spoke very very highly of Josh. Praised his athletic ability and his QB potential. The surprise was how he went on and on about Dobb's character and what an outstanding young man he is of the football field. Was the highlight of my trip.

Interestingly enough i had a similar experience in Orange Beach AL a month ago.

Yeah I like the line where Bray laughs about it. That's pretty sad. They still had the talent to beat Candy, but didn't try. Bray was just out there flinging the ball everywhere just trying to get off the field without getting hurt. That loss and the one to Kentucky was on the team as much as it was Dooley. Got beat by a wide receiver....:no:
That wide receiver lit our defense up for 10 points, and Bray lit their's up for 7.

When you have 80 plus players and coaches there will be some foul language on the field, I for one use the ultimate cruse word Pss. For the life of me I don't consider that to be a curse word but I have been told IT IS, sorry if you cant overlook the issue even if that was the problem anyway. Life is a process of dealing with issues as the reflect off of you and how you respond to them, if this was the toughest issue to get past there will be many more to come, get ready.

Vandy game was difficult to watch, the players quit and it was obvious that Bray didn't want to be out there. I to left half the way thru the 4th quarter but my girl was cold so it did take much to convince me to go.

Broadway street was fun though.

VN Store

Back