Tennessee vs. GaTech 2017 Chick-Fil-A-Kickoff

Them trying to run their offense against Junior DT Khalil Mackenzie is what's going to be difficult.

For those of us old enough, we recall the Nebraska games following the '97 & '99 seasons...which were 2 of the better teams in UT history.

Reactions: 5 people
For those of us old enough, we recall the Nebraska games following the '97 & '99 seasons...which were 2 of the better teams in UT history.

I remember that nightmare very well....So does Florida...GT reminds me more of Air Force than Nebraska...Another triple option team that ran all over us and almost beat us...Tennessee traditionally doesn't do well against option style offenses.....By the way we owe Nebraska 2 beat downs for those losses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
When you don't play against it regularly, containment of every phase of the option game is, indeed, challenging. However, Georgia Tech does not possess the power running game that those Nebraska teams mauled people with in the '90s. Furthermore, it is far better to face a triple-option offense in a season opener or bowl game than it is with only one week of preparation.

Reactions: 3 people
When you don't play against it regularly, containment of every phase of the option game is, indeed, challenging. However, Georgia Tech does not possess the power running game that those Nebraska teams mauled people with in the '90s. Furthermore, it is far better to face a triple-option offense in a season opener or bowl game than it is with only one week of preparation.

Hit it right on the head Rex! I am glad we have a month to work on nothing but their option game cause its hard to contain. I believe by 2017 season opener the Vols will be ROLLIN and will thrash GT.

This.

Big tradition and lots of publicity. Same as vt at Bristol. We win both games on a national stage. Can't go wrong.

Why is Tennessee accepting to play this game? Teams should refuse to play Georgia Tech until they start playing legitimate offense. The cut blocking is just too dangerous for player safety.

See no advantage to playing Georgia Tech. Asking for trouble. Big risk low return.

Except uh....we recruit the state of GA pretty heavily, the game's in Atlanta, and we'll be back to kicking the s**t outta GA before you know it. We beat GT...... (*not that they weren't already, but*) the doors to recruit GA get blown off the hinges.

VN Store

Back