Butch Jones says last year's Florida loss was the lowest moment of his career

Clockwork Orange

Jones said Tuesday night during Tennessee’s Big Orange Caravan stop at the College Football Hall of Fame in downtown Atlanta that the Vols’ 10-9 loss to the Gators, a game UT led 9-0 at the start of the fourth quarter, “was probably the lowest moment I’ve ever had in my career.”

“It’s like last year, when we laid it out, the South Carolina game was really the culmination of really learning how to win. But I think the changing point was the Florida game, because obviously it was extremely disappointing for all involved. It was probably the lowest moment I’ve ever had in my career, and I had to put my tie on and go home and have 12 individuals at my house for an official visit.

Jones: Florida loss was 'lowest moment' of career

Reactions: 4 people
I cannot remember being as angry as I was after a game as I was with that one. I don't think I recovered till the bowl game. It is awful too, because the atmosphere at that game with the checkerboard stadium was unreal. I am still bitterly disappointed just thinking about it

Reactions: 20 people
I had to go with my wife and her entire family to a cabin that weekend. We watched the game first, then headed out to the cabin. When we got there I had to have the smiling "it's so good to see you" face going.... but on the inside I was just a ball of misery.

Reactions: 3 people
I publicly cussed out an old friend on facebook because he was a band wagon Gator fan (born and raised around here with no connection to Florida) after that one. Never apologized for it and never will.

Reactions: 20 people
It was a bad day.. I walked back to the truck having to listen to several Gator fans chanting their " It's great to be a Florida Gator chant".. I really wanted to find their cars and slash their tires. Or like the guy above said donkey punch them in the nads or kick them in them. I stayed in a bad mood for a few days. That game was like watching a bad rerun. Put in the back up QB and he did just enough to get out of there with the win. Although Justin Worley made our eyes bleed with his performance.

It should be, and I hope it NEVER goes any lower.

With that being said I hope everyone on the team remembers that mess from last year. I have watched the Vols lay down to Florida for the last 10 years and I am seriously sick of it. That being said if we have a chance to Hang 100 on them this year I really hope we do. I understand winning with grace and with class, but its a different rule set with the Gators and With Bama anytime you can win big you win big.

No winning with class with the Gators. Win and Win big in the swamp and show the whole world Tennessee is back. G B F O

Reactions: 8 people
Definitely took the wind outta my sails a bit.
All of us, for sure. Naturally we earthlings tend to mentally protect our pride by sort of predicting unhappy endings...just to handle the rocky punch of losing to a hated foe. What a gut buster that game was! Here's some orange sody pop, fellow vfl's: Back in 1982, after losing 11 straight years to allabubba and facing the prospect of a losing season, UT found its footing...turned the corner and, with a couple of familiar names, turned the tide with a 35-28 W over Bear's boys. A young strong safety named Bill Bates and an equally young center, Raleigh McKenzie, along with (then) nobodies named White and Cofer and Wampler and Zander, to name a few, finally pieced together the picture of "how to win at football." I've got a strong feeling that whatever forces of nature that have kept the swamp full of mucky water and didn't allow a W for UT the last 9 years, won't be enough to keep the Volunteers from draining that dreaded ugly septic tank this October. Have heart, boys and girls. Let's get used to winning.

Reactions: 10 people
Rumplemintze....lots and lots of rumplemintze! Forgot about it until monday morning when my boss said, "Did you watch that game?"

That game was rough. The walk out of the stadium and then the 3 hour drive home was terrible. The whole drive we listened to the post game stuff on the radio and just sat in silence from absolute disgust. Probably the worst ive felt after a game at neyland that ive attended.

Reactions: 4 people
All of us, for sure. Naturally we earthlings tend to mentally protect our pride by sort of predicting unhappy endings...just to handle the rocky punch of losing to a hated foe. What a gut buster that game was! Here's some orange sody pop, fellow vfl's: Back in 1982, after losing 11 straight years to allabubba and facing the prospect of a losing season, UT found its footing...turned the corner and, with a couple of familiar names, turned the tide with a 35-28 W over Bear's boys. A young strong safety named Bill Bates and an equally young center, Raleigh McKenzie, along with (then) nobodies named White and Cofer and Wampler and Zander, to name a few, finally pieced together the picture of "how to win at football." I've got a strong feeling that whatever forces of nature that have kept the swamp full of mucky water and didn't allow a W for UT the last 9 years, won't be enough to keep the Volunteers from draining that dreaded ugly septic tank this October. Have heart, boys and girls. Let's get used to winning.

Best thing i have read in years. Preach on my brother!!!

GBO.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back