Projected 2015 team and player stats for all 22 (likely) starters

Aesius

It’s Monday, it's May, and football is still four months away. Why not a little wild speculation while we wait?

Feel free to eviscerate me on these predictions.

Offense

Dobbs: 2,850 yards passing, 25 TDs, 12 INTs, 550 yards rushing, 5 rushing TDs (Second team All-SEC)
With the benefit of full reps with the 1s during fall camp, Dobbs will improve his medium/long-distance accuracy and become more of a pocket passer. While his stats won't be exceptional, he will lead the team to two come-from-behind victories.

Hurd: 1,350 yards rushing, 12 TDs, 150 yards receiving, 1 receiving TD (Third team All-SEC)
Hurd's production will be nearly identical to Hardesty's senior season in 2009.

Kamara: 900 yards rushing, 7 TDs, 350 yards receiving, 2 receiving TDs
Including Kamara because he and Hurd will be 1a and 1b at RB.

North: 650 yards receiving, 7 TDs (Third-team All-SEC)

Pearson (if reinstated): 500 yards receiving, 6 TDs

Josh Smith (if Pearson isn't reinstated): 400 yards receiving, 4 TDs

Pig: 600 yards receiving, 2 TDs

Wolf: 300 yards receiving, 2 TDs

OL: 22 sacks allowed (Robertson second team All-SEC)
Dobbs' elusiveness will make the OL look much more improved than it actually is.

Total offense: 30th in FBS

The offense will run through Hurd and Kamara. It will look explosive at times, but ultimately suffer due to Dobbs still not having enough time in the pocket/WRs not having enough time to get open. Run blocking will improve due to defenses respecting the sheer number of options on first and second down. No WR will have a true breakout year due to Dobbs spreading the ball around. People will still hate Azzanni.

Marcus Jackson will get drafted in the fifth round and Pearson (if reinstated) will get taken in the third. Pig will be a UFA. North will return for his senior season.

Defense

Barnett: 85 tackles, 13 sacks, 23 TFLs (first team All-SEC, SEC defensive player of the year, Unanimous All-American)

O'Brien: 30 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 TFLs

Williams: 25 tackles, 1 sack, 3 TFLs

Maggitt: 60 tackles, 10 sacks, 18 TFLs (second team All-SEC)

JRM: 110 tackles, 3 sacks, 12 TFLs, 2 INTs (first team All-SEC)

Bates: 80 tackles, 1 sack, 8 TFLs

Sutton: 45 tackles, 1 sack, 6 TFLs, 5 INTs, 15 PBUs (first team All-SEC)

Randolph: 90 tackles, 2 TFLs, 4 PBUs, 2 INTs (third team All-SEC)

McNeil: 80 tackles, 3 TFLs, 3 PBUs, 2 INTs

Martin: 35 tackles, 4 TFLs, 3 INTs, 10 PBUs

Gaulden: 30 tackles, 2 TFLs, 2 INTs, 8 PBUs

Total defense: 15th in FBS

The defense will be top 5 in the SEC with Barnett leading the way. Sutton goes in the first round, Maggitt in the third, Randolph in the fifth, McNeil in the sixth. The hype for Barnett reaches Clowney-levels.

Special Teams

Medley: 22/26 FGs made, long 52, XP made 59/60 (second team All-SEC)

Townsend: 60 punts, 38 net yards/punt average

We score two touchdowns on special teams and give up zero punt/kickoff return TDs. Finish the season ranked in the top 10 for special teams efficiency for the second year in a row.

Final 2015 Stats

W/L: 9-4
Conference standings: 5-3, 2nd in East
Bowl game: Outback Bowl vs Wisconsin (W)
Postseason ranking: #18
2016 recruiting class ranking: #8
Preseason 2016 ranking: #10

The 2015 season will be up and down for the fanbase, as the team will enter the season ranked but also enter/exit the polls on a nearly weekly basis due to 4 losses and a ranking that hovers around 22-30 throughout the year.

However, a 4-0 November will net the team a second place finish in the East and a return trip to Florida for a bowl game and a big win over Wisconsin, with Dobbs turning in another huge performance in his second bowl game.

The 2016 recruiting class will be slightly lower ranked than the previous two due to the coaches taking only 18-19 players to make room for a monster class in 2017 with the in-state talent available.

Preseason 2016 predictions will have us not only winning the East, but also the SEC Championship due to the value of players like Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, North, Barnett, and JRM returning.

VolNation will experience an offseason of unprecedented peace and prosperity and someone will start a GoFundMe to pay off Butch Jones' mortgage.

Reactions: 5 people
Cue Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber "I like it a lot" gif (I don't know how to upload gifs obviously)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Great post ! I wish I could share the enthusiasm for 4 reg season losses, but I just can't find them at this point --

GA will not run 300+ yrds on us again this year, and AL will not pass 460+ yrds on us again this year, which are several (of my) general benchmarks representing overall 2015 improvement (not saying we'll beat AL, but we let Cooper loose too often, especially on that 1st play td -- we're not going to get burned like that this year).

I think dobbs has 10 plus rushing tds and around 700 yards rushing he will be a goal line threat all year to run

Reactions: 1 person
I think dobbs has 10 plus rushing tds and around 700 yards rushing he will be a goal line threat all year to run

Agreed for the most part however Defenses will adjust and spy on him at the goal line.

I would not want to be a defensive coordinator adjusting to defend our offense on a goal line stand with Josh Dobbs under center and Jalen Hurd, with Alvin Kamara in a split I formation would be freaking scary.

I do think that the OP has a pretty good prediction here though I am ready for Fall.

I guess we don't have to play the season now. Good post. Stats look good except for Gaulden. 50 tackles at least. He has a nose to find and explode to the ball carrier. Lets face it, not going to be a lot of running room up the middle nor a lot of time to throw for opposing Offenses. :good!:

That's pretty much how I see it as well. Very good and detailed post :thumbsup: it'll be interesting to see how close you'll be to the actual season.

Excellent well thought out post OP. If our OL is average at the minimum, then I believe Dobbs rushing yards will be right around where you predicted. If not, I'm afraid he'll be running a lot more than we need him to, and thus have better rushing stats.

I would love to see Hurd and Kamara both go for over 1000 yards each. It has been way to long since we've had two RBs over 1000 yds each in the same season. Houston and Riggs are actually the only two RB's we've ever had to go over 1000 yards each in the same season according to Wiki.

If Pearson is reinstated and remains healthy the entire season, I believe he will lead in most of the categories for WRs.

Now just imagine if we have an O-line that overachieves, and a break out year from our WR's where would that put us? Going with the OP. Great post OP! I hope thats the worst it gets anyway.

GO VOLS!!!!!

Dobbs had almost that many rushing yards in 6 games last year. I think he breaks 700 or so with the post-season.

You had me until 2nd place in the east. We'll be in Atlanta dangit! No blue font intended, I'm serious! :)

VN Store

Back