Biggest surprises of the spring?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was thinking back over the spring this morning, about which guys really shined unexpectedly. We've probably discussed this before, but who were the biggest surprises this year?

I'd have to put Kendal Vickers in that group. It seems like I heard several interviews with coaches where they went out of their way to praise him. He redshirted in 2013 and only appeared in five games last season. Hopefully he's someone who can add depth and be a contributor on the defensive line this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Vickers, absolutely, and Tuttle. I didn't expect him to have that big an impact right out of the gate. Glad they're both on the D Line!

Reactions: 4 people
I'm kinda surprised Bynum is holding down a projected starting spot over Bates and Bryant. Good for him!

Going to agree with Dormady and also add that nobody was seriously hurt during the offseason. This could be because everyone was already out with injuries, but nonetheless.

All the above and Foreman.

Foreman is a pretty ridiculous athlete and football player, I think it was only a matter of time for him. Vickers and Blairs improvements are definite bright spots. Tuttle is a blessing lol. I also didn't expect Dormady to look sooooo polished.

I agree about Dormady, I thought he had a great spring by all accounts, but wasn't he pretty much expected to be the leader for the backup job at this point?

I agree about Dormady, I thought he had a great spring by all accounts, but wasn't he pretty much expected to be the leader for the backup job at this point?

Yes, because he was all we had. I think the surprising part is how much more comfortable the coaches, players, and fans feel if Dobbs were to come out of the game for whatever reason. Dormady will most likely have to spell Dobbs at a crucial point during the season, and it seems he is way ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Blair's inability to win the starting left tackle position outright.

Aside from physically being a monster, he was one of the top rated JUCO lineman 2 years ago and he took a redshirt last year to get stronger and learn the playbook. I fully expected him to be ready to take that left tackle position. Such a disappointment.

My biggest surprise is the realization of how thin we are at RB, a position where injuries are almost certain to some extent. I know Kelly is coming in, maybe transfer Abernathy could help and maybe Paulk will be reinstated but those are huge question marks. After that are walk ons, movement from other positions or an incoming freshman, but if that happens the promises of an elite running game is gone.

I was not surprised by Dormady to be honest. I think Butch stole one in QD. Had he not been hurt his JR. year, everyone would have been on this kid. He has a brain for the game, all of the physical attributes, and has been raised around Football. He's not a dual threat, but is as quick as the other QB's, with a larger frame. In person he just has the look of a big-time SEC QB.

Tuttle was my real surprise. I knew hew was good, but I never a expected a Freshman to come in and dominate the way he did. I expect Kahlil to have the same type of impact, based on his lineage and pro-influences....but Tuttle was a shocker. He has the look , at this early juncture, of a program-impacting type of recruit.

Did Dormady look better than last years starter, Worley?
Possibly

Reactions: 2 people
I was not surprised by Dormady to be honest. I think Butch stole one in QD. Had he not been hurt his JR. year, everyone would have been on this kid. He has a brain for the game, all of the physical attributes, and has been raised around Football. He's not a dual threat, but is as quick as the other QB's, with a larger frame. In person he just has the look of a big-time SEC QB.

Tuttle was my real surprise. I knew hew was good, but I never a expected a Freshman to come in and dominate the way he did. I expect Kahlil to have the same type of impact, based on his lineage and pro-influences....but Tuttle was a shocker. He has the look , at this early juncture, of a program-impacting type of recruit.

Tuttle has incredibly quick feet for a man his size.

Jashon Robertson. This is a guy that started as a freshman, became maybe the most secure on our line and made the all SEC freshman list. Then in the spring he wins the awards for hardest worker in the weight room and most improved on offense. Sounds like the best just got a whole lot better

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back