RTI's post-spring depth chart projections

kamoshika

All of these are educated guesses for what the opening-week depth chart might look like when the Vols face Bowling Green on Sept. 5 in Nashville. And a reminder that this is what we think the coaches will go with – not necessarily what we would do.

We’re going with a simple two-deep at most spots, but may bracket or expand if needed. And because Tennessee essentially has two base defenses – the nickel look (4-2-5) and the 4-3 – we have 12 starting spots on defense. The offensive side is projected for a 3-wide receiver, 1 RB, 1 TE set – the formation we saw from UT the most in 2014.

Post-Spring 2015 Depth Chart Projections | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 1 person
Surprised none of them mentioned Chris Weatherd, at all. Am I missing some news about him? I definitely see him in the two-deep. Otherwise, think they're all three in the right ballpark.

Reactions: 3 people
Positions of interest in order:

OL: Everyone seems to have KK as a shoe in. Hope it aint over for DB to take it, but that hope looks very dim. Not a big fan of KK at tackle. Maybe Richmond comes on later? We just have some big games early and cannot afford a LT training course then. We need to win those!

LB: Bynum looks like the easy choice at MLB. But, what happened to Jacob? Is Bates more natural at OLB?

DB: I could see TKJr starting game 1. Could see EB starting later. Our Seniors are good, but the 2 younger guys are more elite athletes IMO. Looking great at CB. Can be even better if Martin is capable of unseating Moseley. Moselely looks like a steal on the recruiting trail, so were good regardless.

KR/PR: Good returners at both positions, but a proven star coming in who could unseat either. Heck if RDA3 can do so, then more power to him.

2015 outlook is bright.
Q1: Will the OL gel in consistent positions and be ready by game 1? If they can become SEC average, then we are in great shape.
Q2: Quality depth at RB & QB (maybe even WR now?) is missing. Either position gets a strater out and it could hurt us a lot this year. Stay on the field and our offensive could light things up. Refer to Q1.

So, OL and MLB are the biggest question marks. Everywhere else (arguably other than RB depth) looks top 5 SEC worthy.

Surprised none of them mentioned Chris Weatherd, at all. Am I missing some news about him? I definitely see him in the two-deep. Otherwise, think they're all three in the right ballpark.

Weatherd will likely be used similarly to 2014: as a situational pass rusher. He may see more snaps, but he's never gonna be a 3 down player. He's too much of a one trick pony.

Pretty solid projections overall. I think McKenzie will start, maybe not game 1, but by game 3 or 4 most likely. I'm really not a fan of Sutton returning kicks and punts though. Surely there is someone on our roster that could be just as good as him at returning the ball. It just seems like a easy way to get him hurt.

Last edited:

Weatherd was a beast in pass rush situations....hopefully he see the field a bunch this season.

Reactions: 2 people

OL: Everyone seems to have KK as a shoe in. Hope it aint over for DB to take it, but that hope looks very dim. Not a big fan of KK at tackle. Maybe Richmond comes on later? We just have some big games early and cannot afford a LT training course then. We need to win those!

LB: Bynum looks like the easy choice at MLB. But, what happened to Jacob? Is Bates more natural at OLB?

DB: I could see TKJr starting game 1. Could see EB starting later. Our Seniors are good, but the 2 younger guys are more elite athletes IMO. Looking great at CB. Can be even better if Martin is capable of unseating Moseley. Moselely looks like a steal on the recruiting trail, so were good regardless.

KR/PR: Good returners at both positions, but a proven star coming in who could unseat either. Heck if RDA3 can do so, then more power to him.

2015 outlook is bright.
Q1: Will the OL gel in consistent positions and be ready by game 1? If they can become SEC average, then we are in great shape.
Q2: Quality depth at RB & QB (maybe even WR now?) is missing. Either position gets a strater out and it could hurt us a lot this year. Stay on the field and our offensive could light things up. Refer to Q1.

I hope if KK starts @ tackle, that he will be a lot better. I'm hoping Richmond can come in and ball out and have chance @ taking the job

S: 1. Brian Randolph 2. Evan Berry
S: 1. LaDarrell McNeil 2. Todd Kelly Jr.
CB: 1. Cam Sutton 2. Malik Foreman
CB: 1. Emmanuel Moseley 2. Justin Martin
NB: 1. Rashaan Gaulden 2. Devaun Swafford

Speed and depth. Two things we haven't had in the secondary in a LONG time.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm also slightly worried about Cam returning punts again. Wish we had someone else back there. All it takes is some jackass launching at him to put Cam on the shelf for a while.

Reactions: 2 people

Jakob was out with injury this spring so all we know on him at this point was his performance in the post AJ days last season. That was a mixed bag with more glaring dark spots than bright ones IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Jakob was out with injury this spring so all we know on him at this point was his performance in the post AJ days last season. That was a mixed bag with more glaring dark spots than bright ones IMO.

JJ needs to add 20 lbs and try to replace Maggitt in 2016! Based on what we saw in 2014, LB is not his position. He appears to be a great athlete so they need to find a place for him to contribute.

Pretty solid projections overall. I think McKenzie will start, maybe not game 1, but by game 3 or 4 most likely. I'm really not a fan of Sutton returning kicks and punts though. Surely there is someone on our roster that could be just as good as him at returning the ball. It just seems like a easy way to get him hurt.

Sutton doesn't return kicks, just punts, but I do see your point. Would hate to see him suffer and injury on special teams when he's so valuable at corner. But he's awfully good at it. Thankfully Berry had KO return on lockdown.

Probably since 2009 the last year the Vols had a Berry at DB.

These projections are dumb because they are assuming that no true freshman will ball out and supplant some vets come fall. Even Alabama (with its depth) has freshmen supplanting vets every year. Hell we've had several guys arrive for fall camp as true freshmen and instantly elevate to being some of the best players on our team (i.e. Cam Sutton, Marquez North, Derek Barnett, Jashon Robertson).

I think Drew Richmond and Kahlil McKenzie come in as INSTANT STARTERS (both at positions of need). I could also see Austin Smith (LB) being the surprise of the 2015 class (similar to Emmanuel Moseley last year). He could get alot more playing time than anyone expects as a true freshmen. He had IMO the most impressive tape of anyone from our incoming class.

These projections are dumb because they are assuming that no true freshman will ball out and supplant some vets come fall. Even Alabama (with its depth) has freshmen supplanting vets every year. Hell we've had several guys arrive for fall camp as true freshmen and instantly elevate to being some of the best players on our team (i.e. Cam Sutton, Marquez North, Derek Barnett, Jashon Robertson).

I think Drew Richmond and Kahlil McKenzie come in as INSTANT STARTERS (both at positions of need). I could also see Austin Smith (LB) being the surprise of the 2015 class (similar to Emmanuel Moseley last year). He could get alot more playing time than anyone expects as a true freshmen. He had IMO the most impressive tape of anyone from our incoming class.

Finally. The smart projections. These dumb ones were annoying.

Agree on Cam. I hold my breath every time he goes back to return a punt hoping he doesn't get hurt.

Interesting that Vickers got all the praise during the spring but he wasn't even mentioned in anyone's 2 deep.

Looks nasty and they forgot all about Griffen who had a spectacular Spring showing.

VN Store

Back