The SEC should fight to get rid of divisions?

Keep the divisions but move the Barn to the East and MO to the West.

Edit: The more I think about it, moving the Barn to the East will get in the way of our annual Bama matchup since the Barn would almost certainly take Bama as their one permanent cross-division opponent.

Move Bama east and it solves the problem. But it would make our road to Atlanta much tougher. But I'm not scared of Bama. We're approaching their talent level and it won't be long before we can stand toe-to-toe with them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Edward Aschoff thinks so.

I think it's a terrible idea. That's the exact reason why the Big 12 got left on the outside looking in for the Playoff.

I agree, Yankee. Terrible idea. And the only reason to do it would be to jump on a "trend" invented by ESPN for something to talk about during the off season. There's no other valid argument in favor of it. The writer certainly doesn't provide one.

As for rivalries, and Tennessee in specific, one of ours would get lost: we have historic rivalries with Alabama, Vandy, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, and Ole Miss. That's even if you don't count the "tradition" of playing South Carolina every year since divisions were created 23 years ago. So if we're only allowed to protect 4 of those, we're giving up 3 (or 4) other ones. Right now, we're missing two (Auburn and Ole Miss). Net effect for Tennessee would be counter-productive.

Nope, I hate the idea of making Big 12's mistake seem smart by having all the other Power conferences follow them. ESPN, get your heads out of your 4th points of contact!

I think that'd be awesome, great idea! Couldn't have done it when Mizzou and A&M first joined, but now that they've been here a few years, "geographically rebalancing" would make sense and no one would think twice about it.

Of course, that would pose a significant problem for 'Bama -- two key rivalries (Vols and Auburn) in the East ... how to keep both....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Excuse me sir, I happen to like the chance to whoop Bama every year. If auburnt goes to East, their cross division rival will become Bama. We will probably get Mizzou while Jawja gets A&M.

That breaks like 7 rivalries and brings back 1.

My interpretation is the expansion of college playoffs. Then you would end up with less games in the regular season. Like someone said before; a writer with too much time on his hands! :crazy:

I actually don't have a problem with the idea except......

For sake of argument there may be 3 teams tied for 2nd place in the league and a bunch of tiebreakers to determine which of the second place teams make the playoff.

When the divisions aren't balanced, it stinks. However, right now, at least we know who won the East and who won the West and what it takes to earn your way in is known.

Common sense dictates Auburn to the East and MO to the West, therefore will never happen. At least the forced ARK 'rivalry' they tried to create fell by the wayside

Common sense dictates Auburn to the East and MO to the West, therefore will never happen. At least the forced ARK 'rivalry' they tried to create fell by the wayside

The reason it will never happen is something called the Third Saturday in October.

Common sense was thrown overboard to save a rivalry.

Be thankful.

Expand the divisions. Get Va Tech and go to North Carolina and get either Wake Forest or NC State. Another option would be bring in Duke and North Carolina in a package deal. You could then have sixteen teams, 4 divisions of 4. This would allow 3 division games and you could have one or two rivalry games protected each year and rotate the other games. This sets up a four team playoff for the conference championship.

I don't hate the idea. I wouldn't really want mini divisions though. I would just keep Bama, Vandy, UK, and maybe UGA then rotate everyone else. Take the top four teams based on record and a variety of tie-breakers. Top 2 get a home game then CG in ATL.

Would have been nice in the 90s knowing that an early loss to FL wasn't the end. It stunk waiting for them to lose two games.

And I have zero problem with the regular season dropping to 11 games. They only thing it would hurt is no more 6-6 bowl teams (and that$ the catch). While I'm happy we went to and won our bowl game, I still don't think bowls should be a reward for getting to .500 because GA State or UTC was on the schedule. It will never return to the days of needing at least 8 Wins to go bowling, but it should.

I actually have no problem with this. I think for it to truly work you would have to expand to 9 conference games and have 5 permanent opponents in a 14 team league.

The only issue would be if/when a 3 team tie at the top of the conference or 2+ team ties for second.

the Bammers would go crazy :) the divisions are set pretty good now,but adding another conference game would take care of a lot of what the article consider as problems

and why take a step backwards to be like the Big 12 ?

Expand the divisions. Get Va Tech and go to North Carolina and get either Wake Forest or NC State. Another option would be bring in Duke and North Carolina in a package deal. You could then have sixteen teams, 4 divisions of 4. This would allow 3 division games and you could have one or two rivalry games protected each year and rotate the other games. This sets up a four team playoff for the conference championship.

Lol Wut

Too many rivalries wouldn't work.

I don't want the greatest sport in the known world destroyed.

I honestly just can't imagine how teams actually having to win on the field instead of just polls is so horrible.

Referring to you wanting the BCS back, not the division thing.

VN Store

Back