Golson Transfer into SEC will be blocked

tennesseeduke

Golson cannot come to any SEC school due to SEC bylaws in regards to his suspension at ND. He will most likely land at Texas. FYI... ND opens at home against Texas. Another reason he goes there. Barrett Sallee reported this about 5 hrs ago.

14.1.15.1 SEC bylaw about transfer and previous issues. Same one bylaw that kept Eric McKnight's transfer in basketball 2014 from Florida Gulf Coast to Tennessee.
Mike Slive on decision to block Eric McKnight

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 2 people
Golson cannot come to any SEC school due to SEC bylaws in regards to his suspension at ND. He will most likely land at Texas. FYI... ND opens at home against Texas. Another reason he goes there. Barrett Sallee reported this about 5 hrs ago.

14.1.15.1 SEC bylaw about transfer and previous issues. Same one bylaw that kept Eric McKnight's transfer in basketball 2014 from Florida Gulf Coast to Tennessee.

Tennesseeduke

Notre Dame likely wouldn't sign ok/sign off on his transfer for that reason, then.

So he'd end up having to still sit a year if he did.

Does he even have a year to "sit"? Not a rules expert, but didn't he take an RS already?

He doesn't have to sit because he graduated this spring. He also has no restriction on transfer other than that he chose a major which Notre Dame doesn't have. So Notre Dame is unable to limit school he goes to.

Reactions: 1 person
Golson can go wherever he wants just like Russel Wilson did as he's already graduated.

All it would require is a waiver. Granted it would be tough to get approved, but it is still possible.

I'm still waiting on someone to explain what this has to do with TN football.

Reactions: 7 people
Notre Dame likely wouldn't sign ok/sign off on his transfer for that reason, then.

So he'd end up having to still sit a year if he did.

He's a graduate...they can't block him. He's immediately eligible.

They can. There are 7 stipulations you must meet, and he doesn't meet at least one and would require a waiver from the SEC.

They can. There are 7 stipulations you must meet, and he doesn't meet at least one and would require a waiver from the SEC.

Was talking about Notre Dame blocking him from going to Texas. SEC schools are out.

It has only existed for about a year. What's puzzling is why it doesn't apply to other SEC teams as well, Auburn couldn't field a team.

It only applies to graduate transfers...not regular or JUCO.

Why in the WORLD would he come to UT? He only has one year to play and he wants to start.

As I said in the other thread...Rutgers.

Tennesseeduke

Slive would change his tune if Golson was wanting to transfer to Alabama.

He doesn't have to sit because he graduated this spring. He also has no restriction on transfer other than that he chose a major which Notre Dame doesn't have. So Notre Dame is unable to limit school he goes to.

Not entirely sure that's the case. I thought so initially, but when I had to look up the rules on it back when everyone was discussing Miller transferring:

Graduate Exception

The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.

The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

One-Time Transfer Exception

The one-time transfer exception is the most commonly used exception for transfers from one four-year college to another, especially if the transfer involves two colleges in NCAA Division I or II.

If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception.

The athlete must not have previously transferred from another four-year school.
At the time of the transfer, the athlete would have been academically eligible at the previous school; and
If transferring from an NCAA or NAIA school, the athlete’s previous school states in writing that they have no objection to the athlete using the one-time transfer exception.

------

The most common transfer exception available to student-athletes is the one-time transfer exception, which applies to NCAA Divisions I and II. The one-time transfer exception has a number of requirements, but one of the most important is getting a release from an athlete’s current school.

The exception requires that the current school state in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete using the exception. The way this normally takes place is that after a student-athlete has selected a transfer destination, the compliance office at the new school will send a form commonly called a tracer to the old school. Included on that form will be a space where the old school indicates whether it has an objection.

If the former school objects, then student-athletes have the same appeal procedure as they do if they are denied permission to contact a school. That means in Division I, schools have seven business days to respond and 15 business days to conduct a hearing. In Division II, schools have 14 calendar days to respond and 30 calendar days to conduct a hearing.

One of the quickest ways a student-athlete’s plans to transfer can be derailed is if either permission to contact a school, use of the one-time transfer exception, or a release from the NLI is not granted. If this happens, the student-athlete needs to both start exploring the appeal options and trying to engage either the coach or the athletic department about why the request was denied and if there is a way to resolve the issue without waiting for an appeal ruling.

I could be mistaken entirely, but from what I understand, it looks like -while Notre Dame can't exactly "block" it per se - since the graduate transfer requires meeting all the requirements of the one-time transfer, Golsen would still need his previous school to state in writing that they have no objection to it....so they could hold off on doing such he's trying to transfer to a future opponent (or at least make the process more difficult) could they not?

Of course the other part that could possibly prevent them doing such would be that if Golsen went public about it, this would turn into quite a deal negative PR for Notre Dame (making them look bad or petty)...at least for the short term.

he will have to go elsewhere because SEC bylaw 14.1.15.1. Go read it.

Not entirely sure that's the case. I thought so initially, but when I had to look up the rules on it back when everyone was discussing Miller transferring:

I could be mistaken entirely, but from what I understand, it looks like -while Notre Dame can't exactly "block" it per se - since the graduate transfer requires meeting all the requirements of the one-time transfer, Golsen would still need his previous school to state in writing that they have no objection to it....so they could hold off on doing such he's trying to transfer to a future opponent (or at least make the process more difficult) could they not?

Of course the other part that could possibly prevent them doing such would be that if Golsen went public about it, this would turn into quite a deal negative PR for Notre Dame (making them look bad or petty)...at least for the short term.

Eastern Washington's coach won't let Vernon Adams use the athletic facilities before he moves on to EWU's opening opponent next year, and he's been outspoken about the rule being changed...if the move could have been blown up he would have done it. Rudock is transferring from Iowa to Michigan...think Ferentz has an "objection"? IF Golson wants to go to Austin, it's clear sailing.

VN Store

Back