Hope Butch incorporates some pro elements...

VOLorNuttin

...into our offense, because these zone read offenses are KILLING the draft stock of some exceptional QB talents. And it makes it so hard for them to adapt to the NFL.

I was following the Titans' draft closely this year...hoping we'd pick Mariota. But there was so much debate about whether his experience in Oregon's spread offense would translate to the NFL. Even though his talent and football intelligence won the day, it still leaves questions in everyone's mind if the transition will be too difficult to make.

The reason this concerns me regarding our Vols, under Butch's offense, is even if Dobbs has a stellar season...helps us get to the SEC CG, is a Heisman candidate, etc...he will be viewed with the same level of skepticism, if not much worse.

Many NFL analysts felt Bryce Petty had the best arm in the draft, but was one of the worst draft candidates STRICTLY because of Art Briles system. The QB doesn't take any snaps under center, doesn't call any plays, doesn't make any pre-snap reads and goes through practically no progressions after the snap.

Basically, Briles holds the QB's hand so much that the QB doesn't have to do anything but take the snap and throw to his first read. With all that in mind, our offense doesn't seem a lot different. It's exciting for us fans, but it's a killer for a QB's draft prospects.

Don't these college coaches give a damn? I mean, if your QB falls deep into the draft, in the 4th -7th Rds ALL BECAUSE YOU HELD THEIR HANDS TOO MUCH, scheme-wise...that is also going to eventually kill your prospects of recruiting marquee HS QB's.

More and more of these QB's are going to see what happened with Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty and Nick Marshall and say "Uh, forget that, man...I'd rather play for a pro-style offense."

So, with that all said, I'm hoping Butch and Coach Debord takes this into account, and sprinkles in some NFL/Pro-Style concepts into our offense, so these QB's aren't rail-roaded on draft day. Maybe throw in some Power I formations in from time to time, just to throw the defense off a bit. Since Debo is used to this style of offense, perhaps this is what he meant by adding in a few wrinkles?

What say ye, merry gentlemen (let's not start throwing shat-bombs and keep it civil, OK)?

Post-draft Musings: Where are the QBs? Buried by college, that's where - CBSSports.com

Bruce Arians criticizes college's spread offenses - NFL.com

Reactions: 1 person
Our stable of highly rated QBs don't seem to care. At the end of the day, if Tennessee is bringing in talent everything will work itself out.

Reactions: 4 people
He went 2nd overall. Cam Newton went 1. Tebow was a first round pick. Manziel was a first round pick. RGIII went 2nd overall.

Who was hurt by running this offense? And what exactly are "pro elements"?

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
And the articles criticizing spread offenses are simply dumb.

Since the spread offense came to college, rookie qbs have been more successful than ever. The success of rookie qbs over the last decade is unprecedented.

Last edited:
Our offense is designed to win in college. This offense, and similar offenses, have recently either won the national championship or were runner up. If a player is drafted, that is an absolute bonus for us, especially if it is a high pick. However, the ultimate goal is to win a national title, and zone read spreads have been pretty successful at it the last decade.

Our offense is designed to win in college. This offense, and similar offenses, have recently either won the national championship or were runner up. If a player is drafted, that is an absolute bonus for us, especially if it is a high pick. However, the ultimate goal is to win a national title, and zone read spreads have been pretty successful at it the last decade.

A very similiar offense also won a super bowl, and was runner up in Seattle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The spread has taking over college football. You can worry about what those guys are going to do on an NFL level or worry about winning at TN. Butch Jones has to worry about keeping his own job. Besides Andrew Luck, no pro QB has done all that great the past 5 or 6 years either. Aj Mccarron, Matt Barkley, Aaron Murray, and guys from pro offenses like them can't even get in the game. Who was the last pro offense QB for TN to do anything in the NFL? Bray? Peterman? Worley? Crompton? Ainge?...ect. And the flops go on. Dobbs is no better passer than they are.

Zach Mettenberger is about to lose his job to Mariota. Both pro and spread QB's have struggled overwhelmingly the past few years. You can talk about Bryce Petty, but I didn't hear any QB's from pro offenses getting much praise in the last draft either. They all got railroaded pretty much. Also the fact is the Eagles are one of the most powerful offenses in the NFL, they are spread, hurry up, and never under center. Made a guy like Mark Sanchez actually look good at times. Nick Foles looked great at times in that offense, but watch how bad he looks in a pro offense for the rams. Don't be surprised if Tebow looks half way decent for them either in the preseason.

Urbie Meyer was critized for not correcting Tebow's throwing motion while he played at UF. It was pointed out that his job was to win football games at UF, not train QBs for the NFL. Tebow was effective at winning at UF while not having a NFL ready throwing motion.

How many fans do you hear scream at games "Dobbs won't get to the NFL running this offense". It is "just win baby"

Last edited:
Quote: "Hope Butch incorporates some pro elements...
...into our offense, because these zone read offenses are KILLING the draft stock of some exceptional QB talents. And it makes it so hard for them to adapt to the NFL."

Well, unlike some, maybe even most, I do not care about draft stock. I want our QBs and others to be good Tennessee college players. I certainly could not imagine any change that was solely for the purpose of raising their draft stock. Do what it takes to win at Tennessee and to heck with the draft.

Who was hurt by running this offense? And what exactly are "pro elements"?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we should refer to the Periodic Table. :)

I believe we'll see "elements " of the pro-style and spread in the coming season. At least that's what Debord alluded too in his first presser. He was really trying to steer away from a "label" on the offense...we'll see.

GO VOLS!

Just WIN! That's what fans and coaches care about most. They run a system that works well in college and can help the team win.

...into our offense, because these zone read offenses are KILLING the draft stock of some exceptional QB talents. And it makes it so hard for them to adapt to the NFL.

I was following the Titans' draft closely this year...hoping we'd pick Mariota. But there was so much debate about whether his experience in Oregon's spread offense would translate to the NFL. Even though his talent and football intelligence won the day, it still leaves questions in everyone's mind if the transition will be too difficult to make.

The reason this concerns me regarding our Vols, under Butch's offense, is even if Dobbs has a stellar season...helps us get to the SEC CG, is a Heisman candidate, etc...he will be viewed with the same level of skepticism, if not much worse.

Many NFL analysts felt Bryce Petty had the best arm in the draft, but was one of the worst draft candidates STRICTLY because of Art Briles system. The QB doesn't take any snaps under center, doesn't call any plays, doesn't make any pre-snap reads and goes through practically no progressions after the snap.

Basically, Briles holds the QB's hand so much that the QB doesn't have to do anything but take the snap and throw to his first read. With all that in mind, our offense doesn't seem a lot different. It's exciting for us fans, but it's a killer for a QB's draft prospects.

Don't these college coaches give a damn? I mean, if your QB falls deep into the draft, in the 4th -7th Rds ALL BECAUSE YOU HELD THEIR HANDS TOO MUCH, scheme-wise...that is also going to eventually kill your prospects of recruiting marquee HS QB's.

More and more of these QB's are going to see what happened with Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty and Nick Marshall and say "Uh, forget that, man...I'd rather play for a pro-style offense."

So, with that all said, I'm hoping Butch and Coach Debord takes this into account, and sprinkles in some NFL/Pro-Style concepts into our offense, so these QB's aren't rail-roaded on draft day. Maybe throw in some Power I formations in from time to time, just to throw the defense off a bit. Since Debo is used to this style of offense, perhaps this is what he meant by adding in a few wrinkles?

What say ye, merry gentlemen (let's not start throwing shat-bombs and keep it civil, OK)?

Post-draft Musings: Where are the QBs? Buried by college, that's where - CBSSports.com

Bruce Arians criticizes college's spread offenses - NFL.com

Football is general is changing to more mobile qb's.. The NFL will change too

I'd rather watch college than the NFL because of how they play.

Spread has to do with the number of receivers...THATS IT!!

The whole reason it's called that is because when it became widespread, most offenses would have 1-2 receivers instead of 3-4 as their base set. Most teams ran power offenses.

In my opinion the spread is magnificent if you have a beast mode power back, which we happen to have. LBs are needed to defend said run...

...which means they're not defending the pass, but defending the pass can create some mismatches. Our biggest issue will be pass blocking - which tends to screw over all of that if it sucks.

Urbie Meyer was critised for not correcting Tebow's throwing motion while he played at UF. It was pointed out that his job was to win football games at UF, not train QBs for the NFL. Tebow was effective at winning at UF while not having a NFL ready throwing motion.

How many fans do you hear scream at games "Dobbs won't get to the NFL running this offense". It is "just win baby"

I don't hear EITHER phrase screamed.

We should rotate our QB's. Each one gets a snap and then hands off the reins to the next. That way they can all showcase their talent to the NFL scouts equally.

Also, none of our best players should play more than 10 snaps a game so that they can make it to draft day without significant injury.

Just win football games. Man, this is a dumb notion for a thread. Mariota isn't upset that the spread offense hurt his draft stock.

I wish we ran a proper West Coastish pro style, not to better prepare our QBs for the NFL, but to create offense on a consistent basis rather than a sort of all-or-nothing, inflexible system wholly dependent on out-athleting opponents.

VN Store

Back