Vol Secondary getting nat'l recognition

Special Ed

VFE: Vol For Eternity
2015 SEC Spring Camp Wrap: New faces in the East - CBSSports.com

For the click-a-link impaired...
TENNESSEE: Throwing against this secondary may not be advised. Whether the budding hype behind the Volunteers is justified or a bowl-based overreaction will be a matter of much debate over the summer, but one thing that seems certain is that Butch Jones' team will at least be division-championship caliber in the defensive backfield. Cameron Sutton was already one of the SEC's best corners as a sophomore, Brian Randolph made a major impact at safety, and the secondary only got deeper over the course of spring ball (thanks in part to Eric Berry's little brother).

From the Tennessean's recap of the spring game:

In the second quarter, Jones organized a drill in which receivers went up against defensive backs for jump balls in the end zone. All seven of the reps were won by the defense. That's certainly thanks in part to injuries at the receiver position, as well as the indefinite suspension of Von Pearson.

But to win every single battle is impressive and perhaps signifies that the secondary will be much improved from the unit that was torched by several of the SEC's best receivers last year.

That last sentence isn't exactly wrong, but overall the Vols finished fifth in the SEC in opponent's quarterback rating in league play, ahead of even well-regarded units at Ole Miss and Arkansas. The secondary was already a strength regardless of a lost matchup here and there, and led by Sutton, there's no reason to think it won't be an even stronger strength this fall.

Reactions: 8 people
They would be good anyway, but even better with the killer d-line we will have.

If they can continue the momentum into the fall this secondary could very well be the best in the SEC. Talent, depth, and speed.....about damn time!!! :clapping:

I do wish that one Terry Fair was still there,I may be wrong,but to me he brought some of that Old Tennessee swagger back to the Defensive Backfield

With what should be an impressive defensive line pressuring the QB's. Our secondary could have great chance at a record number of interceptions this year.

One of the best secondaries, one of the best DLs and JRM on defense. Then on offense one of best QBs, one of best pair of RBs, one of best WR corps. It is looking up boys.

Reactions: 2 people
they are going to be even better with a steady pass rush of Kmac, Tuttle, Barnett, Maggitt, Butcher, Weatherd, Phillips.....defense is going to be nasty. :rock:

Our defense is strong .. Line play, linebackers, backfield.. When opposing offenses lineup up will be like a pack Hyennas after a gazelle! Lights out!! Our defense will be mean!! People gonna get hurt if they get by Obrien, Barnett, Tuttle, Williams Mckensie, then they face our linebackers and def backfield! Oh my! Oh my! They will beat their ass in the ground 1st quarter!!!

They should show the hit EB made on that UGA back before every practice or defensive unit meeting just to remind them of how it's done.

If KMac can push back OLinemen like Tuttle on Coleman Thomas, opposing QB's will have to take a one step back and Hail Mary approach to passing!

VN Store

Back