This is how you recruit

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Vols wish FSU commit happy birthday

CEMsgJoWYAEbpRn.jpg

Reactions: 16 people
I love how Butch knows how to get in the gray area's of recruiting but not break any major rules.

Ole Butch is at it again. Maybe Robinson will be this years Richmond. I surely can do without the drama and uncertainty and would feel better if his name had a Power T next to it. However, I must admit, I quite enjoy stealing away a top recruit in the middle of the night from other major programs.

I love how Butch knows how to get in the gray area's of recruiting but not break any major rules.

I'm sure ALL coaches know how to do this, but not all coaches put as much effort into recruiting as Butch does. I believe once we have a regular Top 25 team, we may see all the neat recruiting stuff that Butch does tamper down a bit. I don't believe our recruiting will suffer or miss a beat, but he won't have to do as much "cute" stuff.

The bottom line is winning at high levels at a program like UT will sale itself as far as recruiting goes for most cases.

That is AWESOME...love the way Butch does things publicly that other coaches only seem to do privately...i.e. public birthday message to a top recruit where most coaches would have simply tweeted/messaged/texted a more private message.

I'm sure ALL coaches know how to do this, but not all coaches put as much effort into recruiting as Butch does. I believe once we have a regular Top 25 team, we may see all the neat recruiting stuff that Butch does tamper down a bit. I don't believe our recruiting will suffer or miss a beat, but he won't have to do as much "cute" stuff.

The bottom line is winning at high levels at a program like UT will sale itself as far as recruiting goes for most cases.

I don't think it will slack, I just think it will have a different message behind it.

I think Butch honestly enjoys it, which is what makes him unique from most coaches, who probably loathe recruiting.

Agree about the effort comment. I think top ten instead of top 25 though. If you're only top 25, you still have lots of work to do to even compete with the SEC's best.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch doesn't miss a trick. The man is downright dangerous.

Nope he doesn't. He's as a complete Head Coach as there is in FBS division.

I love love love the guy. If Debord is even a tad better than Bajakian, then we will be in Atlanta every year or every other year, for a while.

Nope he doesn't. He's as a complete Head Coach as there is in FBS division.

I love love love the guy. If Debord is even a tad better than Bajakian, then we will be in Atlanta every year or every other year, for a while.

Please, let's not crown Butch too prematurely, he must win in the SEC first.....OK?

Reactions: 3 people

I love it too, but how is this even remotely okay? Aren't schools prohibited from mentioning high school prospects by name in public? I thought the only exception was for players who signed an early financial aid agreement (e.g., Josh Malone in 2013), and I thought even that was curtailed last year by the NCAA. Anybody have any insight?

I love it too, but how is this even remotely okay? Aren't schools prohibited from mentioning high school prospects by name in public? I thought the only exception was for players who signed an early financial aid agreement (e.g., Josh Malone in 2013), and I thought even that was curtailed last year by the NCAA. Anybody have any insight?

It was sent privately to Robinson.... He chose to make it public, therefore UT is in the clear. Very smart by Butch... He makes elaborate happy birthday pics for recruits knowing they will eat it up and just have to share it.

Reactions: 5 people
That is AWESOME...love the way Butch does things publicly that other coaches only seem to do privately...i.e. public birthday message to a top recruit where most coaches would have simply tweeted/messaged/texted a more private message.

Birthday wish was privately sent to Robinson. They have been doing this because they know the recruit will share it, but that's not on UT.

Please, let's not crown Butch too prematurely, he must win in the SEC first.....OK?

Urban Meyer is NOT a complete head coach in my opinion and he has won 3 National titles.

The man had no control over his Florida teams. He can coach (x's and o's). He can recruit. But what happens to his players once they leave school? What percentage of his students graduate? How bad of a state did he leave the Gators in??

Percy Harvin and Tim Tebow were his two greatest players ever. What have they done at the next level? Hernandez? Tebow was never taught proper mechanics, Harvin never got disciplined in college. He contributed to crippling both of them...

Butch doesn't have the wins YET. But the way he is building our culture, foundation and program in general is to be recognized as it is. Greatness.

I've asked this question before. But what would any coach outside of Nick Saban or Bill Snyder had done with UT the way Butch inherited it?

Kiffin killed the talent. Dooley destroyed the culture (winning mindset)

Butch has rebuilt ALL of that including academics in two years...

So no, I don't have to wait for him to win a championship to crown him.

Reactions: 17 people
It was sent privately to Robinson.... He chose to make it public, therefore UT is in the clear. Very smart by Butch... He makes elaborate happy birthday pics for recruits knowing they will eat it up and just have to share it.

Thanks for the clarification, this is definitely brilliant.

Do we know who the black guy next to Butch is? Would it be a violation if, say, Butch sent a recruit a recorded happy birthday message from a celebrity VFL like Peyton Manning or John Henderson? Would it be a violation if Butch put the recruit's name on the Neyland Stadium jumbotron and sent a "private" pic of the entire football team pointing at it?

I wonder how far Butch could push the envelope here.

Thanks for the clarification, this is definitely brilliant.

Do we know who the black guy next to Butch is? Would it be a violation if, say, Butch sent a recruit a recorded happy birthday message from a celebrity VFL like Peyton Manning or John Henderson? Would it be a violation if Butch put the recruit's name on the Neyland Stadium jumbotron and sent a "private" pic of the entire football team pointing at it?

I wonder how far Butch could push the envelope here.

Those are violations

I'm ready to crown him recruiting champion of cfb. I don't think anyone in America could have brought in more talent than him the last couple of years. I'm not yet ready to crown him a great game day coach yet. I hope he gets there but the conservative play calling is eventually going to cost him everything he has if he doesn't change. We could have won at least three more games over the last two seasons had he just been willing to roll the dice q little. And we have won a couple of games that we nearly lost due to the conservative decision making. We'll see what happens

Urban Meyer is NOT a complete head coach in my opinion and he has won 3 National titles.

The man had no control over his Florida teams. He can coach (x's and o's). He can recruit. But what happens to his players once they leave school? What percentage of his students graduate? How bad of a state did he leave the Gators in??

Percy Harvin and Tim Tebow were his two greatest players ever. What have they done at the next level? Hernandez? Tebow was never taught proper mechanics, Harvin never got disciplined in college. He contributed to crippling both of them...

Butch doesn't have the wins YET. But the way he is building our culture, foundation and program in general is to be recognized as it is. Greatness.

I've asked this question before. But what would any coach outside of Nick Saban or Bill Snyder had done with UT the way Butch inherited it?

I agree with you on Urban Meyer. He can only be a good coach with a certain type QB. The Tebow type. I mean Tebow had to go to QB school after he left Florida just to learn how to throw the football. And if people can't see what Butch is doing here now then they just do not know football. A lot of these players are left over from the Dooley time here. And all you have to know what Butch has dealt with is just look at the NFL draft this year. No Vols drafted.

I'm no Meyer lover by any stretch but as a CFB fan I will take 3 nattys over former players' pro success any day. If we got a Tebow type QB and won two titles I wouldn't really care what his pro career is like. While in college he did his job.

And I'm saying this as someone who only watches the NFL for Peyton Manning. He gives me something to root for but ultimately I want UT to win titles.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back