Is a Skybox worth the money"

Biopsyman

I am considering going in with many friends and getting a 16 seat box when one opens up.. For those who have one or been is it worth it and does it take away from truly being outside? It works out to $3275 per ticket for the season or 400+ per home game...

Reactions: 1 person
I am considering going in with many friends and getting a 16 seat box when one opens up.. For those who have one or been is it worth it and does it take away from truly being outside? It works out to $3275 per ticket for the season or 400+ per home game...

The real question is:

Do you want to actually see the game?

Reactions: 7 people
Got to figure in food and drink. IMO....no. Not unless your last name is Gates.

I was in one for a spring game, and I never want to be in one again..

Side note- I did get to eat lunch with John Ward that day tho...

No. You're in a sound proof box with a bunch of rich ppl watching the game on a TV. It's neat but it's not my kind of game experience. Try it before u buy season tix

Reactions: 3 people
I've been in one once and I didn't really see the point. It was like watching the game in a hotel room. Total disconnect from the Neyland experience, IMO.

You don't get the same game atmosphere as being in the stadium. The food and adult drinks make it fun though.

Been in one a few times. It was OK. If I ever bought season tix again, I'd like those club level. Nice big seats, covered roof but you're still "at" the game.

My parents have one, I don't think it's worth it unless it's cold. I'll take our seats in D anyday over the box. Plus it's impossible to get one with a decent view. My folks' box is on the 25 yard line and it's crazy far away from the action.

Was cool like the first 2-3 times I went. But impossible to follow the game. Too much going on.

Reactions: 2 people
I've never been in one but I imagined the experience being a lot like what most comments in here have said. I wouldn't mind trying it just once for the experience but I can't imagine doing it every game. I would imagine most people using boxes are up there more for social time than anything.

I was in one for a spring game, and I never want to be in one again..

Side note- I did get to eat lunch with John Ward that day tho...

Was that kiffins spring game? Cause i was there too

I've been beed lucky enough to be invited to a box several times over the last 20 years or so. I think it's definitely worth it if that's how you choose to spend your money. There are some negatives to being up there, but here's several reasons why I enjoyed it:

*You will absolutely get to meet Vol legends up there, especially if you are going to pony up for an entire season. Many of the folks who have boxes invite former Vols players and they are taken up on those offers. Most are very nice and happy to re-live their greatest moments with you. I've met quite a few walking down the buffet line or grabbing a drink from the soda bar -- you don't have to crash other folks' boxes to meet them. It's pretty cool as long as you play it cool.

*Just an amazing place to bring clients if you entertain as part of your business. It doesn't matter if they are Vol fans, or even football fans, they will enjoy the experience. For some, the boxes are investment that pay dividends.

*The boxes tilt slightly over the field for (IMO) a great view. I like seeing plays form and it's very much like watching game film with the aerial view. Some like that, others don't.

*It's temp controlled and the rain won't get you. I was in a box for the '02 game against the Gators. Needless to say, Rex Grossman was the only one who enjoyed being outside that day.

*They have TVs in them, so not only can you see replays, but you can also see other games. I guess with the way cell phones are these days, maybe that's not such a benefit anymore (showing my age here) :)

*Easy access to (relatively) clean restrooms, so you don't miss an entire possession climbing stairs, waiting in line for the urinal, etc.

*Very nice food and drink spread. Again, very accessible, you won't miss any of the game.

*Some complain that the windows block the crowd noise. I disagree. If the stadium is full, it's loud up there and the windows are shaking.

*I haven't been up there in a few years, but they used to let you leave and re-enter as often as you like. Being able to run out to a friend's tailgate, or to your car, has it's perks. :cool2:

*No one other than your friends will tell you to sit down.

Reactions: 15 people
No way man. Nobody is in to the game and you have to act all quiet and stuffy. Might as well watch it on tv

A lot of folks in this thread have likely never been in a box. I'd do it if we were still in Tennessee.

There could be some pitfalls. What if you discover you don't like being around of one of your "box partners" when he or she gets drunk up in the suite? Or when some jerk you don't know is given the passes some week?

There could be some pitfalls. What if you discover you don't like being around of one of your "box partners" when he or she gets drunk up in the suite? Or when some jerk you don't know is given the passes some week?

I'd say the chances are pretty likely that this would happen in the regular seats, too. At least you could move to the far side of the box instead of being crowded in with a drunk jerk sitting right behind you.

No, they are horrible gameday experience. Been once and have turned down the chance at least a dozen times since.

The preconceived notions about what it's like in a suite are kind of funny. Skyboxes are awesome.

The buffet is awesome. Drinking beer is awesome. Seeing Fulmer is awesome. Watching an entire game from the box is not awesome. You end up watching 75% of the game on the TV unless you know someone with one towards the middle of the field. You hear minimal crowd noise unless you open the windows. I'm never in the box unless it's cold. You can't tell me you'd rather watch a game in the box rather than in section D on the 50 with a roof over your head and TV at eye level. How many times have you watched a game from a box? Just curious. I'll admit I thought it was cool too my first few times, but it's not the same expirience IMO.

One great benefit of a box is networking. It's a different atmosphere, clientele, and set of expectations. You can really drive your career and personal success forward using skyboxes, luxury suites, etc. If you are strictly doing this with the intent of only having your friends around with no intention of business, success, etc. --- it will be a massive waste of money and something you will likely regret.

I have been to many games in the skybox. I do not recommend it. It's nice if you just want to go experience it once, but honestly you might as well watch the game from home. You cannot hear a thing, so you have to rely on the TVs in the box. You watch most of the game on the TV as well.

There is tons of free food, and you are likely to see a few VFLs there, but the atmosphere is more like an at-home-game-party rather than actually being at the game.

The last game I went to in the skybox was the Halloween Black Jersey SC game and I ended up going down to the stands for the 2nd half to be a part of the electric atmosphere of the stadium.

Its completely personal preference. If you like watching the game like that then go for it. I do agree with everyone though that it isn't the same fan experience.

I will say this though.. I have been to many games in the Neyland boxes (My dad's company has one) and I much prefer the stands.. HOWEVER, if you get a chance to get boxes in TBA for basketball, those are amazing! My dad's company has those too and they aren't sealed off, so you can hear the crowd better and the view is incredible.

I'd buy basketball boxes and use the money you save to buy seats in the stands for football.. then you get boxes and get to go to all the basketball and football games! Problem solved!

My brother had 4 skysuite seats - it was great for my 87 year old dad and great for business development but I missed the true game experience. Like previous poster, I only went when obligated then only for a half.

VN Store

Back