Neyland Stadium question

skasper06

Why do we not open the stadium for concerts/big events? During the spring and summer months it isn't really used much...the school could make a lot of money leasing out the behemoth that is Neyland. I know Billy Graham spoke there and Kenny Chesney did a show there in 2003, but I haven't heard anything since then.

I know most shows are just at TBA or the Civic center, but it seems awfully silly to me to not make some money off our resources. But maybe there is something I am missing...

Reactions: 2 people
Does Knoxville have that many big concerts/ events? I know the entertainment tax is a big reason more acts don't come.

I remember the Jackson 5 playing in Neyland in 1984(ish).

Does Knoxville have that many big concerts/ events? I know the entertainment tax is a big reason more acts don't come.

I remember the Jackson 5 playing in Neyland in 1984(ish).

Boca you nailed it with Knoxville's entertainment tax. it's the main reason big acts rarely come to Ktown.

Actually, it is kind of daunting for even big names to take on big venues like Neyland.
I know earlier this year the Rolling Stones were EXTREMELY skeptical about signing up to do a concert at Indy Motor Speedway.
The concern being that it would not be a "sellout" and a TON of seats would remain empty...and that was the ROLLING F'N STONES !!!

Reactions: 1 person
Actually, it is kind of daunting for even big names to take on big venues like Neyland.
I know earlier this year the Rolling Stones were EXTREMELY skeptical about signing up to do a concert at Indy Motor Speedway.
The concern being that it would not be a "sellout" and a TON of seats would remain empty...and that was the ROLLING F'N STONES !!!

You're not typically selling every seat in the stadium. Still, your point is valid in that you'd need to sell 75-80K to fill it up for a concert....and that's cutting off the N. endzone.

I also imagine the lighting and sound is much more difficult in Neyland versus TBA. Most concerts have truss systems that hang from the ceiling.

Didn't Kenny Chesney do a concert in Neyland years back?

See my OP sir/madam.

Entertainment tax I understand...but still, we get a fair amount of concerts. Kevin Hart wad just here. Garth Brooks is coming in a week or 2 I believe and he would draw a huge crowd. I feel like the big named would draw a big crowd...Timberlake always gets big crowds and he is a Tennessee boy. I know Knoxvillw isn't the biggest city but it's pretty central to east tennessee, northern GA, and western Carolina.

Neyland being such a large venue, you'd have to assume that the major pop stars(not the only ones) would be scheduled to play there. This is just one old man's opinion, but I don't want a justin bieber and those like him using Neyland Stadium as his playground.

Since next year there will be football at Bristol Motor Speedway...

Why not "NASCAR @ Neyland"

BWOmGSWIQAAdOQ3.jpg

On a different note, ever wonder how awesome the stadium area could be if there was a "Volunteer volunteer day" where 10 or 20 thousand Vol faithful showed up to clean , paint, scrape, and spruce the old lady up.. I think thousands would show up and the place could certainly use it in places for sure.. No one on the field of course but in the seats, aisles, tunnels, corridors, bathrooms, concession areas, around the gates and all the areas just outside... Just an idea.. t

Reactions: 4 people
On a different note, ever wonder how awesome the stadium area could be if there was a "Volunteer volunteer day" where 10 or 20 thousand Vol faithful showed up to clean , paint, scrape, and spruce the old lady up.. I think thousands would show up and the place could certainly use it in places for sure.. No one on the field of course but in the seats, aisles, tunnels, corridors, bathrooms, concession areas, around the gates and all the areas just outside... Just an idea.. t

Great idea. If I lived close enough I would stop by and help. How about paint all the seats in checkerboard orange and white? :good!:

I'd get in on that.

Reactions: 1 person

I saw Pink Floyd at Clemson's stadium in '94 and it was packed including the field, everywhere but the stage was packed.

I saw Pink Floyd at Clemson's stadium in '94 and it was packed including the field, everywhere but the stage was packed.

First - and don't get me wrong, one of my best friends is a Clemson Alum - the stadium is 20 K less than Neyland.

Second - Clemson is a lot closer to major Metro areas then Knoxville.

Third - If you compare the two, Memorial Coliseum is actually a little better set up for a concert than Neyland...much more "vertical" in the North/South sides.

SO let me ask this question in here - knowing what we know regarding BIG, ESTABLISHED names needed to draw the "sellout" and the geographic / demographic area - Who do you think would be the best concert in Neyland?

VN Store

Back