'Completely different' OL working toward different results

kamoshika

The questions and concerns still exist. Like just about everything else with Tennessee's offensive line, though, they're different this offseason.

The position unit that was the weakest link for the Volunteers during a 7-6 season in 2014 exits spring practice and heads into the summer with more experience, more physical improvements and added competition for starting spots.

The Vols' hope is that all those factors lead to much-improved results when the 2015 season arrives.

"Spring to spring, it's a completely different offensive line," fifth-year senior left tackle Kyler Kerbyson said last month. "We're literally in different positions, and our mentality's totally different, too. The way we come out and practice every day is a huge thing for us. We always have a great mentality to come out and work and be the guys to lean on.

"We want to be the guys that everybody can lean on us and not be the reason we're not doing well or the reason why we can't convert or can't score..."

Tennessee Vols' 'completely different' O-line working toward different results | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 2 people
A good OL can make up for a lot of things.

Think back to 1990 when Chuck Webb went down against Pacific. In comes seldom used Tony Thompson and he becomes an All-SEC TB behind that OL.

How about 1994 when Jerry Colquitt goes down against UCLA. The next game against UGA UT pounds the rock over and over en route to a win over the dogs. The same line allowed Manning to get his feet under him and UT was a pretty damn good team by years end.

How about he '98 OL. Face it, Tee Martin sucked early that year plus Jamal Lewis went down against Auburn. Plug in the Travis's, allow Tee to improve...and look what happened.

We saw last season what happened when you inserted a mobile QB with this line. No, they didn't magically get better but Dobbs' mobility hid some of their weaknesses.

They should be a better unit this year which will certainly help. Glad their attitude is where it is.

Reactions: 9 people
Many times SEC games are won in the trenches and this year probably won't be any different.
SEC games are indeed War, upfront, plain and simple....WAR

The offensive line TN put on the field last year was probably the best display of lack of talent and lack of coaching in the SEC.

A good OL can make up for a lot of things.

Think back to 1990 when Chuck Webb went down against Pacific. In comes seldom used Tony Thompson and he becomes an All-SEC TB behind that OL.

How about 1994 when Jerry Colquitt goes down against UCLA. The next game against UGA UT pounds the rock over and over en route to a win over the dogs. The same line allowed Manning to get his feet under him and UT was a pretty damn good team by years end.

How about he '98 OL. Face it, Tee Martin sucked early that year plus Jamal Lewis went down against Auburn. Plug in the Travis's, allow Tee to improve...and look what happened.

We saw last season what happened when you inserted a mobile QB with this line. No, they didn't magically get better but Dobbs' mobility hid some of their weaknesses.

They should be a better unit this year which will certainly help. Glad their attitude is where it is.

I'll never forget some of the holes that line opened up for Tony Thompson. You could have driven a truck through them. I'd love to see that again soon.

Reactions: 1 person
The questions and concerns still exist. Like just about everything else with Tennessee's offensive line, though, they're different this offseason.

The position unit that was the weakest link for the Volunteers during a 7-6 season in 2014 exits spring practice and heads into the summer with more experience, more physical improvements and added competition for starting spots.

The Vols' hope is that all those factors lead to much-improved results when the 2015 season arrives.

"Spring to spring, it's a completely different offensive line," fifth-year senior left tackle Kyler Kerbyson said last month. "We're literally in different positions, and our mentality's totally different, too. The way we come out and practice every day is a huge thing for us. We always have a great mentality to come out and work and be the guys to lean on.

"We want to be the guys that everybody can lean on us and not be the reason we're not doing well or the reason why we can't convert or can't score..."

Tennessee Vols' 'completely different' O-line working toward different results | Local News | Times Free Press

This OL will not be a "completely different" OL until it has completely different OTs.

Reactions: 4 people
The offensive line TN put on the field last year was probably the best display of lack of talent and lack of coaching in the SEC.

You do not have a clue. Dooley didn't recruit any O-linemen his last year so when Butch got here the O-line was thin. Dooley didn't have any good back up for Stone, Tiny and those guys. When they left after Butch's first year there was just not any good back ups. It will not happen again under Butch.

Reactions: 10 people
You do not have a clue. Dooley didn't recruit any O-linemen his last year so when Butch got here the O-line was thin. Dooley didn't have any good back up for Stone, Tiny and those guys. When they left after Butch's first year there was just not any good back ups. It will not happen again under Butch.

They gave up FIVE sacks to UT Chattanooga!

Reactions: 3 people
They gave up FIVE sacks to UT Chattanooga!

Yeah I mean I have to agree with 1stand here. 5 sacks to UTC is lack of talent but coaching comes into play too. There is no way UTC's front 7 was that much more talented than our O-line. Probably a lot of missed assignments.

I believe he is referring to Dooley..

I hope they surprise us all this year.

I'm holding out hope that he'll be drastically improved, but I'm not overly optimistic.
This where my head is with him as well. He is coming forward as a leader for the OL no doubt, lots of quotes in print from this guy. It's not a question of his want to or work ethic from what I've read and heard. The young man just does not have the talent to pull it off consistently. He's a senior, the staff may be giving him the benefit of the doubt and will try to scheme and assist to help him, but they have to have a plan B. This could be one of the major reasons DeBord got the nod, to scheme around that LT position this year. Next year I have to believe one of the highly rated FR from this year will be sitting out there.

I'm holding out hope that he'll be drastically improved, but I'm not overly optimistic.

He is a 5th year player.. I don't see him suddenly overnight becoming a superstar.. Avg would be a imorovement meant at T for him.. People fail to remember how bad we was when Gillian went out the first part half of the season

Last year our o-line was hands down the worst UT o-line in the modern era.

It would take vast improvement for them just to be mediocre.

However, mediocrity is all we need from the line to do some serious damage this year.

If you told me we would have the 10th best line in the SEC this year, I'd pick us to win the east and wouldn't bat an eye.

Hopefully DeBord can really help this group. In my opinion, the fate of the season rests on the the o-line and how much they can improve. We are solid everywhere else.

Reactions: 1 person

A lack of coaching 3 true Freshman and a walk on one legged starter at tackle. you just might have shown how good of a job the coaches did, what is your football IQ 0 OR WHAT.:furious3:

Reactions: 3 people
Kyberson was in a lot of highlights during the draft... For the wrong reasons

Thomas is the one that scares me the most, i know he was a freshmen but he got run over and thru nearly every play, and Shy Tuttle did a pancake on him in the spring game, and he is just a freshmen i know he is a 5 star, he has to improve my hope that is Drew Richmond comes in day 1 and take over at Tackle, he has the talent if he can get the system down then by mid season we just might have a decent OL.:good!:

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back