I miss Derek Dooley

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
After watching today's Orange and White Game, I realized how much I miss Derek Dooley.

I miss the Orange and White games when he was the coach. Remember when you had to pay $10 to go to the game? It was so much better because with only 10,000 fans at the scrimmage, you could basically choose where you wanted to sit, and you didn't have to worry about your view being blocked by people in front of you.

Another thing I miss about Dooley's Orange & White games were the school yard style team picking his teams did. Sure, with the 1's and 2's and 3's and 4's all mixed into the same squads we couldn't gauge how good our team was going to be AT ALL, but at least the players got to pick their own teams. Not the coaches. It's really about the players anyways..

Speaking of the players. I miss Dooley's recruiting classes. OK, maybe they weren't ranked as high as Butch's (avg 17th over the 3 years he was here) but at least they were guys of high moral character and not the entitled players like we have today. Today we have players like Joshua Dobbs who study rocket science. If he was truly committed to football there's no way he would choose such a time-heavy major. But when we had Dools, we had players like Da'Rick and Tyler Bray. Sure, those guys may have had a few little off-field issues, but at least they didn't spend time on unnecessary stuff... like school.. Bray thought about football so much, he even practiced his throwing with his empty beer bottles! I guess they just don't make players like that anymore. Or at least now that Dooley is gone they go to GA and FL now.

And Dooley's players threw the KY game so they didn't have to go to a little bowl game. We had to watch the Vols play in the Taxslayer Bowl last season. If we still had Dooley, we could have been concentrating on our amazing Basketball program (led by the best coach in TN history - Donnie Tyndall) instead. But NO! Coach Jones will have us spending money to go to FL where the weather is warm just to watch us play a game against Iowa. Pfft.

Another thing that I miss is Dooley's willingness to level with the fanbase. He told us in his first year (year 0) that we shouldn't expect much from the team. He reassured us every single season that it was not our fault if we didn't go to a bowl game. Kiffin screwed us afterall. And Dooley made it very clear to us that because of Kiffin, we should not expect a bowl game for his entire tenure. Does Butch do that? No! He fills our heads with things like Championship goals. Kiffin screwed us! And Butch is talking about CHAMPIONSHIPS!?!?

Anyways, Butch is OK. I mean, I'll take him. We could definitely be doing worse. But it's days like today that I miss Derek Dooley.

:shaking2:

Reactions: 39 people
DD went to the MC Bowl in year zero. I'm not positive, but I think Kiffin brought Bray to TN.

Dooley was funny. Showering lessons. Where's the Nazi General? The orange collie dog shipped in from Europe. The sideline stool and his walking cane. His momma's calls to local radio shows to defend Precious. His premature celebration at LSU. Going 6-2 in games he won his first year. Micro managing garbage can placement and over ruling the architect's building design at the practice facility/football offices. Losing to KY for the first time since 1984... with KY using a receiver at QB. His team blowing up Bar Knoxville.

Those were the days. I miss that guy too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
BooThisMan.gif

Reactions: 4 people
I miss football... We have to keep reading garbage during the offseason.

I know, right? All the garbage on this site is what inspired me to create this thread! I just felt like VN could use a masterpiece like this one that can unify our VN community and create peace and harmony within our fan-base. At least this thread presents material about which we can all agree!

You can thank me if you want for giving you a reprieve from all the garbage, but it is not necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I can never forgive a man who causes us to lose to both Vandy and Kentucky in his short tenure here.

Reactions: 10 people
What's really sad is he was like our 5th choice and the only one who would accept the job when we offered because of how Kiffin left.

Reactions: 1 person
After watching today's Orange and White Game, I realized how much I miss Derek Dooley.

I miss the Orange and White games when he was the coach. Remember when you had to pay $10 to go to the game? It was so much better because with only 10,000 fans at the scrimmage, you could basically choose where you wanted to sit, and you didn't have to worry about your view being blocked by people in front of you.

Another thing I miss about Dooley's Orange & White games were the school yard style team picking his teams did. Sure, with the 1's and 2's and 3's and 4's all mixed into the same squads we couldn't gauge how good our team was going to be AT ALL, but at least the players got to pick their own teams. Not the coaches. It's really about the players anyways..

Speaking of the players. I miss Dooley's recruiting classes. OK, maybe they weren't ranked as high as Butch's (avg 17th over the 3 years he was here) but at least they were guys of high moral character and not the entitled players like we have today. Today we have players like Joshua Dobbs who study rocket science. If he was truly committed to football there's no way he would choose such a time-heavy major. But when we had Dools, we had players like Da'Rick and Tyler Bray. Sure, those guys may have had a few little off-field issues, but at least they didn't spend time on unnecessary stuff... like school.. Bray thought about football so much, he even practiced his throwing with his empty beer bottles! I guess they just don't make players like that anymore. Or at least now that Dooley is gone they go to GA and FL now.

And Dooley's players threw the KY game so they didn't have to go to a little bowl game. We had to watch the Vols play in the Taxslayer Bowl last season. If we still had Dooley, we could have been concentrating on our amazing Basketball program (led by the best coach in TN history - Donnie Tyndall) instead. But NO! Coach Jones will have us spending money to go to FL where the weather is warm just to watch us play a game against Iowa. Pfft.

Another thing that I miss is Dooley's willingness to level with the fanbase. He told us in his first year (year 0) that we shouldn't expect much from the team. He reassured us every single season that it was not our fault if we didn't go to a bowl game. Kiffin screwed us afterall. And Dooley made it very clear to us that because of Kiffin, we should not expect a bowl game for his entire tenure. Does Butch do that? No! He fills our heads with things like Championship goals. Kiffin screwed us! And Butch is talking about CHAMPIONSHIPS!?!?

Anyways, Butch is OK. I mean, I'll take him. We could definitely be doing worse. But it's days like today that I miss Derek Dooley.

:shaking2:

I too miss Fooley....err, I mean Dooley. However, I also miss Mike Hamilton, Lame Kiffin, and that case of ringworm I had 12 years ago.

Reactions: 2 people
This thread is why I can't miss reading Volnation. Of course we have some serious posts, but the majority of them keep me laughing out loud. Thanks to all my hilarious brethren.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
DD went to the MC Bowl in year zero. I'm not positive, but I think Kiffin brought Bray to TN.

Dooley was funny. Showering lessons. Where's the Nazi General? The orange collie dog shipped in from Europe. The sideline stool and his walking cane. His momma's calls to local radio shows to defend Precious. His premature celebration at LSU. Going 6-2 in games he won his first year. Micro managing garbage can placement and over ruling the architect's building design at the practice facility/football offices. Losing to KY for the first time since 1984... with KY using a receiver at QB. His team blowing up Bar Knoxville.

Those were the days. I miss that guy too.
Going 6-2 in games he won has got to be the greatest acheivement by a coach. I didn't evem think about it that way. What a hoot.

Reactions: 5 people
I can never forgive a man who causes us to lose to both Vandy and Kentucky in his short tenure here.

Add....wouldn't recruit, pissed off HighSchool coaches, didn't want our former players anywhere near the complex and just generally did everything he possibly could to drive the program into a ditch.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't blame Dooley for anything. I place the blame totally at the feet of Mike Hamilton.

Kiffin did what any unqualified coach would do. He took the money.

I work in banking. If First Tennessee suddenly offered me the CEO job, I'd take it. I don't deserve it, but I'd take it. Then, a year later, if Bank of America offers me a raise and a chance to move where I want to live, I'd take it too.

Dooley-- he just took Hammy's money too. He knew he couldn't hack it. But he got life changing buyout money. That's worth being a laughingstock for a couple of years.

Hamilton hired a below average baseball coach from Western Carolina.

Our track program is in disarray.

Hamilton had a coach lie to the NCAA.

Hamilton's swimming coach was trolling Craigslist for meth and young boys.

Last but not least, Hamilton gave Pat Summit Alzheimer's.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back