Jameis, Johnny Football, Mariota, Dobbs, and the Tennessee QB curse

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
After watching the O and W game today something I have assumed all along became painfully obvious.... this season rides on the shoulders of a healthy Josh Dobbs. Now this is not to discredit how impressed I was with Dormady, Dormady is going to be a stud, and if he's not the solid #2 this year then that means Sheriron Jones is one of the best non-EE true freshmen I've seen in a long time. However, Dobbs was "get touched and you're down" and was still making defenders miss, and his throwing has improved greatly. Dobbs is special and the whole world is starting to see it.

Now here's something that will make you sick, at the end of the 2010 season we lost a nail biter of a bowl game against UNC... between that time and right now we have had ONE season where we didn't lose our starting Quarterback to injury for the entire year. ONE season. Considering with Dobbs at the helm there's no telling how good we can do this season, and without Dobbs there's no telling how bad we can do, needless to say its a bit concerning.

So this has me thinking, Johnny Football, Jameis, Mariotta, and several others all have one thing in common, and that's the fact that without them their team was garbage, and with them their team was stellar. The mentality of their fanbases were surely along the lines of "if we lose Jameis we're screwed" "if we lose Mariota this season is over" and yet it never happened.

Anyways the point I'm making is this: The phrase "as long as Dobbs stays healthy" gets thrown around a lot when discussing the 2015 season, it almost seems like we expect something bad to happen. It's the first thing I think when I start getting excited about the potential we have for 2015. Essentially, it feels like all the hype and excitement is based around not losing our starting QB for the season due to injury. Let's stop worrying and just be excited about how promising things are right now. The best QB's in the league recently have all made it through their seasons without being sidelined for the year. Losing your starting QB for the year may seem common here at UT, but in the great big picture of CFB it's the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: 3 people
Well, I'll be. Finally someone said the obvious. Really, most QBs don't get hurt. Just about every poster that talks about 2015 expects Dobbs to get hurt. I don't. I think he's gonna have a good year with improved line play, better running back support, and a much improved WR crew. He's smart enough to get rid of the ball or hit the dirt.

Reactions: 2 people
Losing QBs for the year is nothing new. Alan Cockrell blew out a knee. Tony Robinson blew out a knee. Jerry Colquit blew out a knee. Brent Schaefer tore something up. Ainge broke his thumb or something during that stupid last play before halftime against, I think, Notre Dame. Bray broke his thumb on a defender's helmet. Ferguson had something torn up. Worley was broken.

However, some really good and pretty good ones did not have season ending injuries. Bobby Scott, Condredge, Streater (I think), Francis, Kelly, Heath, Peyton, Casey C.

As a freshman filling in for Jerry Colquit, Peyton did fine and the Ainge/Schaeffer combo worked very well.

There are lots of options if Dobbs is lost. If Dobbs and Hurd both get injured... we're screwed.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I'll be. Finally someone said the obvious. Really, most QBs don't get hurt. Just about every poster that talks about 2015 expects Dobbs to get hurt. I don't. I think he's gonna have a good year with improved line play, better running back support, and a much improved WR crew. He's smart enough to get rid of the ball or hit the dirt.

Agree 100% Chatt.

Personally, I don't consider Josh to be at high-risk for injury. As much as he ran the ball last year with less than stellar protection, he exhibited an uncanny knack for avoiding contact. He is an effortless but, nevertheless, elusive runner. When the occasion calls for it, he will pick up every yard he can and then get down or out of bounds.

In most cases, I agree with the OP in that losing your starting QB can be devastating to a season. However, there are exceptions. Just ask OSU.

He's just gotta slide if he can't get out of bounds, that's the biggest thing I'd like to see him do this year instead of running into defenders for an extra yard.

FSU would have survived 2014 without Jameis. A&M wouldn't have beaten Bama in 2013 without Manziel but Sumlin knows how to coach QB's. As for Mariota, yes I agree with you.

I understand the point you are making, though. We need Dobbs to be healthy. Yet, every football team in America needs their QB to be healthy. Even if you have a stud running game with your backfield, your QB has to be serviceable.

It could have been worse, we could have had Nate Peterman standing in the wings to take over for Dobbs.

Thankful that Dormandy and Jennings got valuable time to learn the position in the Spring and hopefully Jones can come in and is a fast learner.

FSU would have survived 2014 without Jameis. A&M wouldn't have beaten Bama in 2013 without Manziel but Sumlin knows how to coach QB's. As for Mariota, yes I agree with you.

I understand the point you are making, though. We need Dobbs to be healthy. Yet, every football team in America needs their QB to be healthy. Even if you have a stud running game with your backfield, your QB has to be serviceable.

FSU without Jameis MAY have won 8 games. They had several games where he was the difference.

However, some really good and pretty good ones did not have season ending injuries. Bobby Scott, Condredge, Streater (I think), Francis, Kelly, Heath, Peyton, Casey C.

Casey Clausen did get hurt one year. I remember him making a comment that he could beat Georgia "with one arm tied behind my back" when he had to sit out that game. Seems like that would have been 2002, the second Kelly Washington year (the future). But you are correct that it wasn't season ending- I do think he came back and finished the season. Casey was a baller.

Casey Clausen did get hurt one year. I remember him making a comment that he could beat Georgia "with one arm tied behind my back" when he had to sit out that game. Seems like that would have been 2002, the second Kelly Washington year (the future). But you are correct that it wasn't season ending- I do think he came back and finished the season. Casey was a baller.

Yeah, Clausen missed 2-3 games his Junior year with a shoulder issue. And actually, he would've started immediately his freshman year but he got hurt in August

After watching the O and W game today something I have assumed all along became painfully obvious.... this season rides on the shoulders of a healthy Josh Dobbs. Now this is not to discredit how impressed I was with Dormady, Dormady is going to be a stud, and if he's not the solid #2 this year then that means Sheriron Jones is one of the best non-EE true freshmen I've seen in a long time. However, Dobbs was "get touched and you're down" and was still making defenders miss, and his throwing has improved greatly. Dobbs is special and the whole world is starting to see it.

Now here's something that will make you sick, at the end of the 2010 season we lost a nail biter of a bowl game against UNC... between that time and right now we have had ONE season where we didn't lose our starting Quarterback to injury for the entire year. ONE season. Considering with Dobbs at the helm there's no telling how good we can do this season, and without Dobbs there's no telling how bad we can do, needless to say its a bit concerning.

So this has me thinking, Johnny Football, Jameis, Mariotta, and several others all have one thing in common, and that's the fact that without them their team was garbage, and with them their team was stellar. The mentality of their fanbases were surely along the lines of "if we lose Jameis we're screwed" "if we lose Mariota this season is over" and yet it never happened.

Anyways the point I'm making is this: The phrase "as long as Dobbs stays healthy" gets thrown around a lot when discussing the 2015 season, it almost seems like we expect something bad to happen. It's the first thing I think when I start getting excited about the potential we have for 2015. Essentially, it feels like (all the hype and excitement is based around not losing our starting QB for the season due to injury. Let's stop worrying and just be excited about how promising things are right now. The best QB's in the league recently have all made it through their seasons without being sidelined for the year. Losing your starting QB for the year may seem common here at UT, but in the great big picture of CFB it's the exception, not the rule.

You missed something.
Jameis: Had an offensive line and good receivers ie: Kelvin Benjamin and Rashad Green
Johhny: Had Luke Jockel and Mike Evans with a godly ability to just avoid. No one is really near that abillity
Mariota: Played in a system where you didn't need a stellar offensive line. Based on deception and speed. Also very quick passes= no time to rush.
Dobbs: He got sacked almost every time they blitzed (Spring Game) and our DL (which was depleted) had a great push on the pass plays.
This is the difference.

I'm not sure what the coaches will do to preserve Dobbs' health. I mean, you can't call games based on "what if" scenarios. You've got to call them to win. And right now the best option for winning is to let Dobbs run it at least 7-8 times per game, if not more. But every time he takes off with the ball, he's at risk for getting hurt.

IMO, he needs to start sliding early and often. I want to see him slide multiple times against BGSU. That gives opposing defensive coordinators something to watch for and warn their guys about. If you watch the scrambling QBs in the NFL, they often gain extra yards simply because defenders ease up when they get close because they don't want to risk hitting them while they're sliding.

Take the 8-yard gain and get down. Let Hurd and Kamara pick up the extra two yards.

You missed something.
Jameis: Had an offensive line and good receivers ie: Kelvin Benjamin and Rashad Green
Johhny: Had Luke Jockel and Mike Evans with a godly ability to just avoid. No one is really near that abillity
Mariota: Played in a system where you didn't need a stellar offensive line. Based on deception and speed. Also very quick passes= no time to rush.
Dobbs: He got sacked almost every time they blitzed (Spring Game) and our DL (which was depleted) had a great push on the pass plays.
This is the difference.

2 good RBs (Hurd and Kamara) should help the QB this season - IF they dont call those straight up the middle plays all the time

You missed something.
This is the difference.

Oh come on. Sacked? Really?

You missed something.
This is the difference.

I must have missed him being 'sacked' since it was 'non contact' :shakehead:

With Hurd and Kamara Dobbs won't have to run as much this year. Just enough to keep the opposing defense on its toes and to scramble when necessary. However, fluke injuries happen..like hitting hands on helmets while passing.

Last edited:

Anyways the point I'm making is this: The phrase "as long as Dobbs stays healthy" gets thrown around a lot when discussing the 2015 season, it almost seems like we expect something bad to happen. It's the first thing I think when I start getting excited about the potential we have for 2015. Essentially, it feels like all the hype and excitement is based around not losing our starting QB for the season due to injury. Let's stop worrying and just be excited about how promising things are right now. The best QB's in the league recently have all made it through their seasons without being sidelined for the year. Losing your starting QB for the year may seem common here at UT, but in the great big picture of CFB it's the exception, not the rule.

Ohio state says hi

VN Store

Back